Notices

Looking for more players for Bronwend

Old Sep 27 '18, 8:49pm
Wyrm

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Looking for more players for Bronwend

The Last Days of the Kingdom of Bronwend - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

We've had some ebbing over time and the game is down to 3 players. I'd like to add a 2-3 more.

So far, goblins have assaulted a village and freed a vampire from his tomb. The party has left in search of the magical relic that kept the vampire entombed. They found the goblin village, but there were too many goblins for them to capture the relic. instead, they have a prisoner and are fleeing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Ad
What brings you to this corner at the edge of civilization?

The small, inconsequential kingdom of Bronwend sits at the end of civilization, a remote place with little to offer the world. At the remotest end of the kingdom is the small village of Carlsby, where the PCs find themselves. It's a great place to get away, if you're running from something. There's said a guide can be found in Carlsby, one who is willing to take travelers through the treacherous, monster-filled Dareke Mountains to Cornadell. Or maybe the Dwarves Fair has brought you, eager to earn money?

Bronwend would be nothing, just another petty kingdom in a remote corner at the edge of Civilized Arelas, were it not for the occasional trade fair when the dwarves of the nearby Dareke Caverns come out of their isolated halls for one week to sell their highly sought after crafts. That fair brings merchants, collectors, and wizards from all over Arelas, from the rich cities of the east and south. The years in between the fair, however, are lean and empty of visitors. Now, a trade fair has been announced in a few months time, the first in three years.

But it comes at a time when Bronwend appears to be collapsing. Kolensdarby, a milltown in the kingdom's north, has broken away following a rebellion. Kirkthorpe, the only sizable population center since Kolensdarby and a coinage town, has more crumbling buildings than it does thriving businesses. Spotswood Hall, the ancestral home of the Heeren of Spotswood, has been empty for years, rumors of dark hauntings driving away any visitors. The current king, Thorm of the House of Brom, is a young warrior but does that mean he can rule effectively? And can he, or anyone, guide Bronwend out of this slow collapse? Or will clever opportunists seize this moment to enrich themselves at the expense of the dying kingdom?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This game is being run in a homebrew gameworld I've spent decades working on. It was designed for Pathfinder, but I am planning to run it in 5th edition. I'm happy to switch back to Pathfinder is applicants prefer that. There are few game rules and context specific to my world, which can be found in the races and classes section. Additionally, I have a lot of background information on this gameworld, some of which is provided here. I'm providing this because I want a rich role-playing experience. This game is set to be an adventure, with the usual expectations, but with a lot of potential for role-playing. It will probably involve some in-world politics, so be sure that's the game you want. Reading the gameworld material and using it in your application is sure to impress me.

Races

Other races will be considered, but I prefer the standard ones.

Classes (written for Pathfinder or 5th Edition)

Other classes, including hybrids, will always be considered, so long as I have access to a description.

Religions

Full size version of the continental map – very big file

Link to Gameworld Encyclopedia

Link to Gameworld Timeline

Game Description:

What brings you to this corner at the edge of civilization?

The small, inconsequential kingdom of Bronwend sits at the end of civilization, a remote place with little to offer the world. At the remotest end of the kingdom is the small village of Carlsby, where the PCs find themselves. It's a great place to get away, if you're running from something. There's said a guide can be found in Carlsby, one who is willing to take travelers through the treacherous, monster-filled Dareke Mountains to Cornadell. Or maybe the Dwarves Fair has brought you, eager to earn money?

Bronwend would be nothing, just another petty kingdom in a remote corner at the edge of Civilized Arelas, were it not for the occasional trade fair when the dwarves of the nearby Dareke Caverns come out of their isolated halls for one week to sell their highly sought after crafts. That fair brings merchants, collectors, and wizards from all over Arelas, from the rich cities of the east and south. The years in between the fair, however, are lean and empty of visitors. Now, a trade fair has been announced in a few months time, the first in three years.

But it comes at a time when Bronwend appears to be collapsing. Kolensdarby, a milltown in the kingdom's north, has broken away following a rebellion. Kirkthorpe, the only sizable population center since Kolensdarby and a coinage town, has more crumbling buildings than it does thriving businesses. Spotswood Hall, the ancestral home of the Heeren of Spotswood, has been empty for years, rumors of dark hauntings driving away any visitors. The current king, Thorm of the House of Brom, is a young warrior but does that mean he can rule effectively? And can he, or anyone, guide Bronwend out of this slow collapse? Or will clever opportunists seize this moment to enrich themselves at the expense of the dying kingdom?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This game is being run in a homebrew gameworld I've spent decades working on. I designed it for Pathfinder but am planning to run it in 5th Edition. If Pathfinder is preferred by most applicants, I am happy to go with it. There are few game rules and context specific to my world, which can be found in the races and classes section. Additionally, I have a lot of background information on this gameworld, some of which is provided here. I'm providing this because I want a rich role-playing experience. This game is set to be an adventure, with the usual expectations, but with a lot of potential for role-playing. It will probably involve some in-world politics, so be sure that's the game you want. Reading the gameworld material and using it in your application is sure to impress me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredshirtwholive View Post
Also, GREAT job on the world building.
Thanks. I've put a lot of effort, years, and games into it. Frankly, what you're seeing is only a percentage of what I've got.

As for classes, there is a paladin, sorceror, warlock, and cleric, and maybe a rogue, although that player hasn't responded to my invite. Maybe another meat shield?

i've applied as a barbarian, so if youre needing a meat shield then I do have one posted. also if you have any ideas as to how I could improve my app please tell me.

Edit: I have modified the background somewhat to allow it to fit better into the setting.

Hi Zeguro. I did see your application. You didn't really use any of the gameworld background, which isn't necessarily an automatic disqualifier, but there are a number of applicants who have tried to make good use of it. Because there are more applicants than I need, I've focused on them. Sorry I didn't give you feedback. I've been pretty busy and I've been trying to focus my time on those applications that stood out to me. I did see your edit and it still didn't stand out to me. For instance, there are no western plains your barbarian would be from. I'm sorry if I'm a stickler. Basically, I want someone who is willing to immerse themselves in the world a bit, and the only test I have for that is the application.

Anyway, feel free to edit some more.

A Character Submission

HISTORY
Cormo Magrev is a Gruygnan Monk, marking him as a heretic, outcast, and target of persecution to the Mystician Church. And yet, he regrets nothing of his decision to leave the faith of the Mystic Circle to join the order of the Unias. Still, at the age of 25 and as a result of the pressure from the Mythasian authorities, Cormo was compelled to leave his monastic community and flee east to the Sinaus Swamp, living the life of an ascetic among the flora and fauna found therein. He lived as a hermit for close to 20 years, well into his middle-age.

While there, he was beset by visions of the World-Truth including the nature of the Pilgrim and his mission. This Truth filled him with a state of Grace that was beyond anything he had ever experienced, either physically or spiritually. However, it was made clear that he could share this Truth with no one lest he lose his divine gift and suffer intensely both in Arelas and in the afterlife. Therefore, he speaks of these revelations to no one and is quite willing to die to protect their secrecy - even they should be proved false.

It was during this seclusion and opportunity for inner contemplation that he received a revelation of a greater purpose. Ensconced in mystery and parable, a message came to him to leave the swamp and travel westward. Furthermore, he was told that he would need to find his calling among others. There was to be no more monastic isolation and whatever trials ensued would glorify The One.

APPEARANCE
Cormo is of medium height (approximately 5' 9") and very slight build (mostly due to fasting). His hair is starting to show some signs of grey, matching his greenish-grey eyes, although most is still an auburn color. Having lived mostly in the swamp, his complexion is generally pale. His sense of inner peace (combined with his age) gives him the beginnings of an image of elder wisdom, although his humility prevents him from accepting such an accolade.

BEHAVIOR
Although he is a monk, Cormo is not a pacificist. Defense of body and of others is seen as part of the struggle that he has been given against evil. However, there is utterly nothing intimidating or threatening about him. He is not inept with a weapon, but neither does he have any mastery of one. He prefers to use his connection to the All-Holy One to help others in their pursuit of righteousness instead. Whenever possible, he tries to show mercy even to his enemies, sometimes to a fault.

He harbors no ill will to the Mysticians even though he believes their theology to be incorrect. Neither does he have any personal issue with other monastic traditions, even those who practice martial arts instead of devout faith. To Cormo, these are all merely symptoms of a fractured world that the Law, brought forth by the Pilgrim, was insufficient in itself to repair.

Also, it is conceivable that his adherence to his daily prayers and fasting rules may become irritating to those of lesser faith. To those who follow the Mystician Church, he is deferential so long as his views aren't called into question. While he does not judge those who pray to the gods of Arelas, he will never pray to or honor them himself, no matter what the cost.

It should also be pointed out he sometimes answers cryptically, quoting long-forgotten scriptures or writings of holy fathers whose memory has faded within secular society. To some, this lack of stating things clearly is extremely irritating.

MOTIVATION
As previously stated, he knows that he must fulfill some holy mission in Bronwend. To what end, he doesn't know. But, it is the choice that he has been given...and take it he must. So, at risk to his safety, he has departed the Sinaus Swamp and braved the road leading through Mithas itself. How long the journey would last, he did not know, but some reports put his destination over 250 miles away. With each step he said silently to himself, "Your will be done."

Please let me know if there is a preferred format for my stats. I don't mind putting it on the sheets here on MW, but not all DMs use them.
About the attached character sheet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cormo.jpg (153.7 KB, 0 views)

Better late than never:

Kral Gishmael
L1 Fighter - Human (V) - Standard Array

Originally hailing from a small hamlet in Rossan, Kral left home to seek his fortune. He knew turnips were never going to be his life, so he absconded with departing merchants after the Dwarven Fair in his 16th year without a backwards glance. He was only the third brother anyways. His family could do well enough without him and his brothers and sisters could care for Ma and Pa in their dotage.

The first few years were hard; times he'd rather not remember; time spent doing things to survive that few would admit to. It was during his 19th year that his luck changed. Always hale and hearty, even after his years of hardship, Kral caught the eye of a recruiter for a small mercenary unit and jumped at the chance. He pummeled the other applicants during the "interview process" with raw desperations and grit, earning himself a spot with the Crossed Swords.

10 years later and Kral learned that war is boring and doesn't pay well, except in blood and death. Having lost what few friends he had in the Company, Kral cashed out only to find that after years of drinking and whoring, scars and the memories of past friends is all he really earned. There must be more to life. A farm and family? These arms were made for weilding swords, not hoes and Kral knows he is not one to root in the ground for turnips. There are fortunes and names to be made and honor to be gained for those brave and strong enough to earn them. There is but one path before him, so it must be the right one.

Hey there. Not sure if there is still room, but I have a Halfling (Ghostwise) Barbarian I'd like to toss into your world. Aside from being fairly new to MW, I'm also still getting used to 5E, but otherwise I've been into PbP for quite some time.