Notices

Looking to run a 5th edition solo game

Old Oct 25 '18, 9:52pm
Wyrm

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Looking to run a 5th edition solo game

Solo Game: Return of Elven Gods - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

This game is being run in a homebrew gameworld I've spent decades working on. It was originally designed for 2nd edition, then upgraded to Pathfinder, and now I run it in 5th edition. I'm happy to switch back to Pathfinder is applicants prefer that. There are few game rules and context specific to my world, which can be found in the races and classes section. Additionally, I have a lot of background information on this gameworld, some of which is provided here. I'm providing this because I want a rich role-playing experience. Feel free to ask questions about what I'm expecting from the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will consider the ad closed on November 22.

Players: 1

Starting at 1st level.

I'm not a big rules horse. The rules only provide the physics and boundaries for role-playing.

My posting rate will vary from once a week to a couple of times a day, depending on my own level of busyness, writers block, moving the plot forward, and the nature of the posts. Please make sure that that will work for you.

Please post your applications in the game forum and NOT as responses to this thread. Use the thread helpfully titled "Applications Here"

However, please post all clarifications and questions to this thread and save the game forum thread for final applications only.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Races

Other races will be considered, but I prefer the standard ones.

Classes (written for Pathfinder or 5th Edition)

Other classes, including hybrids, will always be considered, so long as I have access to a description.

Religions

Full size version of the continental map – very big file

Link to Gameworld Encyclopedia

Link to Gameworld Timeline

Link to the Nine Scrolls of the Titan Gulnaqsh, the holy text of the Mysticians. It is a work in progress and may be edited.

Gods of Arelas. This is more detailed introduction to the religions than the text box above. It is a work in progress and may be edited.

The nations of Morean Island. A work in progress.

Game Description:

Set in my own homebrew world. I'm interested in running a solo game. I want this to be only a solo game, because I want to focus on world-building and role-playing, and I have found that its easier to do in a solo game. Additionally, I have a scattered posting rate and I'm looking for someone who is interested in maintaining a game that has haphazard posting rates. I don't think I have time to run multiple games, so it will have to be only one game. Sorry in advance to anyone who expresses real interest but isn't accepted.

To reiterate, this game will be heavily focused on role-playing, world-building, possibly politics. There will be some combat, but that will be sporadic and most of the posting will be telling a story.

I am presenting various scenarios I would consider playing. In your application, please include which scenario you are interested in. These are only the ones I've thought of, and by no means the only scenarios I'd consider, so feel free to suggest a new scenario if you want. I may find it more interesting than the ones I've written. Fair warning: I'm much more interested in the standard races and classes listed below than in something exotic, but the potential for a good story will always sway me. Feel free to suggest a prestige class if you want. I don't have UA so I may ask for the stats.

In your application, you should also include a character idea (race, class, etc.) and a background. Your background should reflect the scenario you're interested in. Don't worry if it gets a few details wrong, we can iron those out later.

Scenario 1: Escaped slave. You're an orc who was captured by humans and held for slavery. You've escaped. What next?

Scenario 2: Holy War. The Island of Morean has been split between two religions, each based on the real world. In the western half of the island, the Krallik of Tash has been Igimnian (Muslim) since it was invaded 600 years ago. The eastern half has remained Mystician (Christian) though it has many smaller nations (the powerful city-state of Morean, ruled by some of the planet's most powerful mages; Ciropos, ruled by the lich Athantimena; and Ydelos, ruled by the Andovasillyas, an absolute monarch and a powerful mage; and rural Aluata, where the ancient tradition of democracy still survives). You are from either side of this conflict, and stuck somewhere in it.

Scenario 3: On the Frontier. You're on the edges of civilization. Are you an explorer? A fur trapper? A barbarian outcast from your tribe? An outlaw forced to live on the fringes?

Scenario 4: Half-elf living among elves. You're a half-elf, who has grown up in the elven homeland of Elvana. The discrimination and subtle abuse you have suffered have shaped you.

Scenario 5: Druid. Druids are heathens and pagans, hunted for centuries by the established Mystician church. They are nearly extinct now, and cannot practice their religion or art openly. You have to hide your religion, and maybe fight back against the church that hunts you down. Alternatively, you're a druid hunter tasked with finding the last vestiges of this old religion.

Sorry that’s not accurate. The rules there were designed originally for 2nd edition and that reflects the old specialized priest class. That wouldn’t actually be what you would have. You would advance as your class normally does.

Hey AFreebornManoftheUSA, I'm rather impressed with the world you are creating, even though I've only looked through a small portion of the information so far. I'm curious, what is your policy on multiple applications? I've already got more than one character concept and was wondering if you were allowing people to apply with more than one character, or if you wanted to keep it one per applicant for simplicity sake.

Just a heads up, I won't be reading any applications until after the closing date, so there is plenty of time to post. Also, a reminder to post any questions, ideas, or drafts here but to post your final application (and only your final application) in the application thread in the game forum.

This seems like the kind of game I have been looking for in a while. I had a few questions:

1) How do the gods themselves co-exist ? I mean Artema is the goddess of Light for a believer of the mystic Circle but lets say, for example, for the orcs it is someone else. How do these two gods interact ? Would they see each other as rivals ?

2) Do the gods get their power from worship ? Is the granting of divine powers of a god indication that the god is alive ? Once granted can those powers be revoked ? Why don't the dwarves get any divine powers ?

3) Would you be willing to consider any other platform, like discord , to run this game ? I am new to mythweavers so I don't know a lot of the functions.

PS: I think I had another question but I can't remember it. I'll post that one as it comes to me.

OK I remember it now. More of a clarification really for question 2. Do the Mystician gods themselves promote violence against the druidic gods ? I mean if they didn't they could just take away the power of the clerics persecuting the druids. Or if the Igimn were wrong in their beliefs they wouldn't have any divine magic users. It is these obscurities that really interest me. Totally okay if you want to leave them vague and open for roleplay interpretation in the game itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acevans View Post
This seems like the kind of game I have been looking for in a while. I had a few questions:

1) How do the gods themselves co-exist ? I mean Artema is the goddess of Light for a believer of the mystic Circle but lets say, for example, for the orcs it is someone else. How do these two gods interact ? Would they see each other as rivals ?
This is a great question. Artema is really just the sort of head god in charge over a pantheon of gods known as the Mystic Circle. Here is how I picture the relationship working:

There are an untold number of gods, millions and millions, from Artema (the Sun) to the spirit of a single tree. Once upon a time, there were a diverse set of worshippers who would give homage to all of those gods. Then, an event happened which changed that. A titan who lived somewhere in the heavens known as Gulnaqsh devised a set of extensive laws. These laws are so complex and convoluted that it is believed no mortal can fully understand them. But they are said to govern the universe and morality, sort of a combined law of physics/law of behavior rolled into one. Of those millions and millions of gods that existed, a select number of them signed these Laws, known as the Laws of the Mystics. In so doing, they agreed to protect the very order of the universe. Those gods that did sign the Laws were all "big" in some way. And they have a variety of moral codes, from the strict law and order type (Artema, Sym) to the goodness for goodness' sake type (Aurin, Iedi) to the selfish and destructive (Horn and Khan) to the downright disturbing (Buzzoul). Although they all signed the Law, early on they started trying to find ways to twist the laws to their desire. So, while the pantheon of the Mystic Circle are all 'legitimate' in the eyes of followers, they have competing interests. The ways and works of the gods themselves is somewhat at a remove from the world. This means that those competing interests are often evaluated through the lens of followers. Although the gods in this world are more present then God in our world, directly granting spells and such, they don't walk on earth and speak to their followers. So, there are still "official" voices who tell everyone what the appropriate way to worship is. A lot of followers will have one or two primary gods (usually Artema and Imaver) that they worship most closely. But they will all give homage to all of the Mystician gods. They might pray for Buzzoul to look their deathly ill loved one over rather than harvest their soul, or pray to Iedi that they find love or have children, or pray to Khan to be given some position of authority.

By extension, any of the other millions and millions of gods who didn't sign the Laws is seen now as a liability. That's why druids are so hated. They continue to worship these gods whose very existence threatens the universe's order. Other gods also didn't sign the Law. For instance, the standard elven and dwarven pantheons, as well as Gruumsh from the orc pantheon. Because their followers primarily don't live in the same lands as humans, worship of nonhuman gods is not seen as threatening to the average Mystician as druidism would be. People are simply not that afraid of something they don't see very often.

Quote:
2) Do the gods get their power from worship ? Is the granting of divine powers of a god indication that the god is alive ? Once granted can those powers be revoked ? Why don't the dwarves get any divine powers ?
To follow up from the question above. In the millenia since the Pilgrim (the prophet of the Mysticians who first spread word of the Law on Arelas) appeared on Rethez Island, the elven and dwarven gods have waned. It's unknown if they died or have simply gone into hiding, but they haven't granted spells in centuries. One scenario that I didn't include but I think would be interesting (another applicant mentioned it) would be the first elven cleric in centuries to receive divine spells from an elven god, and what does that mean? Even the player wouldn't understand how it happened. Gruumsh does still offer spells, though I would probably play it that a cleric of Gruumsh might have limited spells. Maybe no spells above a certain level have ever been granted, simply because Gruumsh is weaker.

In the meantime, some nonhumans have taken to worshiping the "human" gods of the Mystic Circle. Others among their people see them as sellouts and traitors, even if the alternative is no divine magic. Especially among elves, there is a recent movement to "reclaim" their elf-ness and reject trappings of humanity. Elves, having invented/discovered arcane magic tens of thousands of years ago, are very adept at it, and can maybe afford to go without divine magic in ways that other races can't afford to. Those nonhumans living in human lands are more likely to worship Mystician gods.

Druids still exist, and they still are granted their spells from the multiple small spirits and demigods that inhabit the nooks and crannies of the universe. But their worshipers are a disappearing breed, and the once abundant spirits of the natural world are fewer now. Therefore, a lack of worship must have some sort of an effect on a god's ability to exist, but this is something for the sages to argue over.

Quote:
3) Would you be willing to consider any other platform, like discord , to run this game ? I am new to mythweavers so I don't know a lot of the functions.
I don't think I'm allowed to advertise for a game on this site that would be played somewhere else. Since I'm already DMing a couple of games here, I would rather keep it here for ease. It's really not that complicated. I can work with the player to help them understand how it works.

Thanks for those detailed answers!

Quote:
They continue to worship these gods whose very existence threatens the universe's order.
I think I am getting what you mean now. My example is pretty weird but I think I get it. Its like the gods are nations and they have a policy against creating more nuclear weapons and the ones that don't agree to it are seen as rogue gods. Like hey man you're pretty unstable. And the worshippers are like "Hey man I can't believe you support that regime!" :-D Very cool! (your idea not my example)

Follow up questions: The Orcs. What is their story ? Were they always a race or were they somehow corrupted (like in LOTR)? I ask this mostly out of curiosity.

Quote:
you're a druid hunter tasked with finding the last vestiges of this old religion.
Could you clarify on this a bit more ? Like finding some famous druidic relic or findingout more about the religion itself?

I was certainly thinking of something like what that player thought. Although I was thinking of playing a dwarven cleric. The guy is resentful of the surface dwellers who have fallen to fighting amongst themselves leaving the dwarves as the sole gatekeepers against the monsters in the underdark. Could be that in one of his patrols his company comes under attack by such creatures and just when they are all about to overtaken he suddenly starts throwing around thunderbolts. Doing 'the chosen one' stuff. How does that sound ?

I have a few other character ideas that I wanted to bounce off of you.Would it be annoying if I contacted you via a private message ?

Quote:
Thanks for those detailed answers!
I think I am getting what you mean now. My example is pretty weird but I think I get it. Its like the gods are nations and they have a policy against creating more nuclear weapons and the ones that don't agree to it are seen as rogue gods. Like hey man you're pretty unstable. And the worshippers are like "Hey man I can't believe you support that regime!" :-D Very cool! (your idea not my example)
Close enough. Also, I didn't mention, but the flip-side of the issue are the monotheists. While druids may undermine the fabric of reality by worshiping gods who didn't sign the Law, monotheists undermine it by claiming that there is no difference between the gods who did and the gods who didn't, and that they are all really just facets of the same gods, different faces of a single diamond, if you will. The Igimnians, essentially the Muslims of my world, are monotheists, and this split has led to an ongoing series of Crusade-like conflicts. Additionally, monotheism exists as a heresy, influenced by contact with the Igimnian world, that the official Mystician church seeks to stamp out.

Quote:
Follow up questions: The Orcs. What is their story ? Were they always a race or were they somehow corrupted (like in LOTR)? I ask this mostly out of curiosity.
Orcs were always orcs, but they weren't always violent and brutal, but rather lived simple hunter-gatherer-esque lives. Instead, they were changed some time in the past (~1500-1000 years ago) when Gruumsh, realizing his people could not compete with magic-users and clever civilization builders, turned them into brutal warriors as a way for them to succeed. Gnolls, about 1000 years ago, had a similar transformation from simply primitive, hunter-gatherer tribes to association with evil as a way to protect themselves from outside forces (this featured in a game I ran previously). Not all orcs are evil, and there is a goddess known as Orcmother who is still the patron of non-evil orcs, but they are very few and generally killed by other orcs.

Quote:
Could you clarify on this a bit more ? Like finding some famous druidic relic or findingout more about the religion itself?
More like a church official, a sort of Inquisitor, hunting down druids who are in hiding throughout the world.

Quote:
I was certainly thinking of something like what that player thought. Although I was thinking of playing a dwarven cleric. The guy is resentful of the surface dwellers who have fallen to fighting amongst themselves leaving the dwarves as the sole gatekeepers against the monsters in the underdark. Could be that in one of his patrols his company comes under attack by such creatures and just when they are all about to overtaken he suddenly starts throwing around thunderbolts. Doing 'the chosen one' stuff. How does that sound ?

I have a few other character ideas that I wanted to bounce off of you.Would it be annoying if I contacted you via a private message ?
That works. The only problem with it is that I don't have as much of a world created for the Underdark, so it would likely be create as you go with the gameworld, but the idea certainly sounds good.

Simply early today, I began understanding that DND tingle. Along these lines, I went searching for an approach to scratch it, and the primary thing I saw was this advertisement. Truly, it sounds flawless. I simply needed to inquire as to whether a genuine unbiased orc (full orc, not half) brute would be adequate? I was considering completing a fish out of water type thing. Make her to some degree alienated by her clan since she doesn't exactly fit in because of being genuine unbiased rather than wickedness, so she doesn't make a special effort to be merciless or anything other than doesn't shy away from it either. In the end, something happens that makes her abandon her clan and travel to human or elven lands (wherever the story would really occur). Possibly something she does disappoints Gruumsh (or your domain's comparable). At that point, when she gets to wherever the story happens, she really lean towards it to her previous lifestyle. Would that be inside the domain of probability?

@mangaanime0007 It's certainly doable, and playing an orc is one of the scenarios I would be most interested in. I would need to see a little more of the scenario. Also, I picture orcs as very patriarchal, so she would have experienced some discrimination within her tribe for her gender. So consider that in developing the scenario.

Gruumsh does exist. Read what I wrote in this comment for more detail: https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthr...0#post13904560