Seeking Brave Play Testers

Old Nov 30 '18, 12:49am
Old, Broken Down Wyrm

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Seeking Brave Play Testers

ACE Games Playtest - Forum
Homebrew

Greetings Weavers!
I'm looking for one or two more brave fellows to give a go at playtesting a new, homebrew system I'm putting together. The link is below if you want to peruse the rules. A couple of comments up front on what I'm looking for...

1. Any genre though I would prefer to stay away from high fantasy or space opera. Dark and gritty is usually where I lurk with my games.
2. Solo preferred. Duo allowed so long as the players agree. The story will feed off of your background so make it a good one.
3. The rules may change as the game progresses.
4. I want, nay, I NEED your feedback. Be prepared for me to ask questions as we move along. Kind of like in The Princess Bride, the Pit of Dispair scene..."I just took three years off your life...how does that make you feel?"
5. Looking for players who are interested in telling a story first, and roll playing second. I know that this is counter-intuitive to what I'm trying to accomplish but if we can't tell a good story along the way I'm going to lose interest. Read: This will not be an exercise ONLY in mechanics.

There you have it. Give the rules a look-see and, if interested, drop your concept here.

DJ

V0.2 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwkq27va7d...0v0.2.pdf?dl=0

Game Description:

Placeholder for future ACE system games.

Last edited by dj2145; Nov 30 '18 at 12:50am..
So, I love me some homebrew systems as they can offer a different kind of fun and style unseen elsewhere. I'm interested to help you out but am unsure what sort of story we want to tell.

I guess my first question is does every character get these mega xp things and thus put every story told into a legendary status? Or can we have different power levels so to speak? That will definitely influence what sort of story would interest me (thinking more on a low end, realistic approach).

Hey @HellFencer, to be honest, I'm totally open to the style of game and what we implement. The other playtester I have had one Mega Xp at character build giving him a single, Supernatural ability. Kinda makes for a unique style of game but certainly not mandatory. We could go all human level traits and abilities too if that's the way you want to go.

Bottom line, you say "I want to play an X" and I give you what I think is the appropriate amount of Xp for character build. But again, I'm flexible on all of this as it allows me to stress the mechanics in a lot of different ways.

Okay, that works then. You're just sort of trying to stress test it in various ways. Makes sense you'd want to see how things operate at a high level.

I've been heavily into Warhammer Fantasy RP lately (running and playing a game of it) and very much love the idea behind how realistic the setting feels. Its very dark and gritty, as you say you like, so what about a dark fantasy sort of world? If that doesn't strike your fancy, perhaps a noir detective story with some horror elements thrown in for good measure?

Dark fantasy works for me. I've never played Warhammer, so not familiar with the setting, but I've always leaned that direction with my own games (using D&D). I'll PM you a link to the forum, just create a thread for your character and start working a background. We can discuss Xp once I get an idea of the skill level you are going for.

well then I would like to test,it could be fun trying out a new system
but may i ask what sort of characters does this system allow?

@yazata From what I've gathered, this system is meant to be setting/genre independent, meaning you could run nearly any sort of concept and it could fit within the rule set. That being said, DJ has said above that he is not interested (currently) in running Space Opera (I.E. Star Wars) or High Fantasy (I.E. Lord of the Rings) settings.

So suggest a character idea and see where it goes. Psionic mutants in a dystopian future? WW2 with zombies? Wild West steampunk set several centuries in the past? Viking warlords conquering Europe in an alternate timeline? I'm pretty sure the intention here is to allow any kind of character. So, what strikes your fancy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellFencer View Post
@yazata From what I've gathered, this system is meant to be setting/genre independent, meaning you could run nearly any sort of concept and it could fit within the rule set. That being said, DJ has said above that he is not interested (currently) in running Space Opera (I.E. Star Wars) or High Fantasy (I.E. Lord of the Rings) settings.

So suggest a character idea and see where it goes. Psionic mutants in a dystopian future? WW2 with zombies? Wild West steampunk set several centuries in the past? Viking warlords conquering Europe in an alternate timeline? I'm pretty sure the intention here is to allow any kind of character. So, what strikes your fancy?
an character that has two souls in one body
also High Fantasy lord of the rings? I would´t label it as a high fantasy setting in my opinion