Old Dec 1 '18, 4:05pm
Dark Wraith

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
The Isle of Dread

The Isle of Dread - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

You have all heard of it.

The Isle of Dread.

An island said to be at the edge of the world. An island that is as cloaked in mystery as it is steeped in dread. Once, many hundreds of thousands of years ago, a powerful civilisation was said to live on the Island. A place that was rumoured to not only be technologically advanced, but magically beyond anything the world has ever seen before.....and seen since. Flying steam-powered airships were said to be common place in this world, and factories dedicated to Gond the Wondermaker created all sorts of mechanical items and creations that have long been lost, along with the knowledge of how to create them.

One day, the island was destroyed under a magical cataclysm that devastated all those who lived on the surface and sank it under the waves, its mysteries and wonders lost with it. The Island of Tamoachan, as it was once called, was wiped off the surface of the world and its name eventually lost to the annals of time.

An age has passed since the Island of Tamoachan was last seen, however rumours persist of a deserted island at the very edge of the world. An island that houses on it the ruins and skeleton of a civilisation and the technology it had once created.

Yet getting there will not be an easy task.

All ocean voyages are fraught with peril, yet a voyage to the infamous Isle of Dread might seem to some to be a deliberate goading of the gods of the sea. Many of those who have attempted the voyage before and managed to return from it often choose not to speak of the trials they experienced on the dangerous route, yet those who lips can be loosened by a draught of grog whisper amazing stories......tales of pirates, sea monsters, terrifying storms, and perhaps most harrowing of all, of a strange and sinister land without land, a floating graveyard of dead ships mired in a sargasso the size of an island.

This place has many names, but its most well-known may be its most apt -- Journey's End.

~~

A Modest Proposal

You all have experience of the sea. You may have sailed as part of the same crew, you may not have -- it is immaterial. What is indisputable though is the simple fact that you have spent far far too long locked on-shore in the port city of Baldur's Gate, for one reason or another.

However, during your time on-shore, you have not been idle. Each of you has performed one heroic and notable act during your time in the city, and word of your exploits have reached the ears of one of the noble families of Baldur's Gate. A rising noble within the Gate, the Lady Lavinia Vanderboren has heard of you and your acts, and it so happens that she needs a crew.

A crew that will man her ship, the Sea Wyvern, on a very special journey -- one that will take you further than you have ever been before to a land that is, at best, uncharted and, at worst, deadly.

Lavinia wants to put her name on the map once and for all. She wants to succeed where none have gone before.

She wishes to colonise the Isle of Dread, and for that, she needs not just a crew -- she needs the best.

Game Description:

This is a 5th Edition game set within Faerun, however it will not be a land-based adventure.

This game will attempt to fuse together a number of different themes into something that I hope will be an exciting and memorable whole. Equal parts pirate adventure mixed with steampunk and elements of the Walking Dead with a sprinkling of Cthulhu and Jurassic Park on top, I intend to delight you inasmuch as I intend to terrify you.

What I am looking for are strong role-players and storytellers who will thrive in a situation like this.

For those of stout heart, the application format and guidelines can be found within the forum, however I will summarise here:

The character creation guidelines are as follows:

• 27-Point Buy
  • Starting Gold as defined by background
  • Acceptable Sources. PHB+1. The +1 may be from the following list: SCAG, Volo's Guide to Monsters, Elemental Evil Players Companion
  • UA Revised Ranger. This is the only thing I will accept from Unearthed Arcana sources
  • Variant Human is acceptable
  • Starting Level is Level 4
  • Maximum HP at first level, you may either roll or take the class average for remaining levels
  • You may take one magic item of your choice of no greater than Uncommon Rarity.

I am looking for two posts within your application thread. The first post will contain the nuts and bolts of the character as specified above.

For the second post I would like to know more about you as a player. I would like you to answer the following questions:

1) What do you look for in a PbP game?

2) What has attracted you to applying to this particular game?

3) What is your best experience in a PbP game?

4) What is your worst experience in a PbP game?

Finally, as part of your second post, I would like to see three links to IC posts you have made in other games. They do not need to be your best work (and in all honesty I'd rather see a typical post linked here rather than your best effort).

If you do not have three posts to link then a sample IC post using the character you have applied for in this game will be sufficient - please attach this role-play sample to your FIRST post.

I will announce a closing date closer to the time once I gauge potential interest in the game.

The list of sources acceptable to the game is contained within the forum, however I have also listed them here for convenience:
  • PHB
  • SCAG
  • Elemental Evil Player's Companion
  • Volo's Guide to Monsters
  • UA Revised Ranger
  • XGE

Recruiting for: The Isle of Dread

Last edited by Vyse; Dec 1 '18 at 11:42pm..
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Maztica is this going to be along the way?

We seem to have quietened down for new applications. If anyone is still interested then let me know now otherwise I might just look to close this early - possibly by the weekend unless anyone has anything else to add?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyse View Post
We seem to have quietened down for new applications. If anyone is still interested then let me know now otherwise I might just look to close this early - possibly by the weekend unless anyone has anything else to add?
Ouch - gonna try and carve out some more hours today to bust this out.

If you need longer then just let me know - there's no rush for me to close this prior to the Xmas break.

It's currently finals week for me, so I haven't had time to really make an application. I would still like to apply, if you'll have me. My finals will be over on Friday.

Thank God my last final is tomorrow but it's also my most troublesome...