General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

A first for Dr. Who.

I do wonder about the legacy that will be built around the change. Will Whittaker be forever known as "the female Doctor" or just "another Doctor"? I seem to recall that Idris Elba didn't want to play James Bond because he'd then be called "the black Bond" and he didn't want to label himself like that. And I can see the cause for concern too, it's certainly something that will affect the way the actor and character can be seen.

A bit longer into the future, how do you all think the next regeneration will go? Now that the change is made, it's an equally large question to change it to anything else. Will we have a second woman as the Doctor, or will we go back to having a man play the part? The reception to it as well will be tremendous. If we go back to a male actor, I doubt the intentions of the casting crew will matter: it'll be seen as a reversal in policy. And if the Doctor stays a woman? Who knows. There's already call for people of color to act the part, so will we be seeing even more "radical" (as far as changing the gender and/or skin color of a fictional character is terribly radical) changes to the character in future regenerations?

Or, of course, it's always possible the show is taken off air. That nuclear option is always available if things do go really poorly. Personally, I haven't really watched Doctor Who since Capaldi's first few episodes so I don't have much of a stake in the entire thing. Still neat though. I might tune in at some point. If I can be bothered.

At least Moffat is going away.

Obviously it depends on the ratings.
The better the show does with a female Doctor, the better the odds for another woman to play the part in the future. I'd personally vote for a couple of female Doctors then alternate between male Doctors and female Doctors.
Time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverkiss View Post
The Doctor has historically been male because from the inception of the shown and until recently the industry was male-centred and there was no room for a female lead in such a show. Using that outside context that made all Doctor incarnations be male as justification that all Time Lords keep the same sex for their forms when regenerating is not a logical conclusion, as it uses external factors as if they were internal to the narrative of the series.
When Colin Baker left the show, there was serious consideration given to a female Doctor.

I was trying to not find out who the new doctor was before I actually saw the show. Impossible, and I live under a rock. About time for a female doctor, I've actually quite enjoyed the female master but I hope they don't try romance with Bill, the whole will-they-won't-they thing has been done to death and I like Bill. I think it would ruin the relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raving Lord Such View Post
I was trying to not find out who the new doctor was before I actually saw the show. Impossible, and I live under a rock. About time for a female doctor, I've actually quite enjoyed the female master but I hope they don't try romance with Bill, the whole will-they-won't-they thing has been done to death and I like Bill. I think it would ruin the relationship.
Is Bill even coming back though? She's zipping off around the universe with puddle girl (Heather) so she's found her happy ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Hunter UK View Post
I don't think they have said either way.
I'm not sure how she could.

Well Heather has said that she could make Bill human again. I doubt she will though. I figure they'll stick together.
Might be interesting to have Thirteen run into them, or Clara & Ashildr during her travels, but after letting her grow into herself a bit.