This week in video games... - Page 6 - Myth-Weavers

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

I'm going to be picking up Beyond: Two Souls eventually, but I have a number of other games I'll be getting first. The new Pokemon game is coming out soon, and I already have AC4 and Watch Dogs on pre-order.

Same. I have a feeling I'll be holding off on Beyond: Two Souls, just like I did with Heavy Rain and L.A. Noir. I'd love to get to them eventually, but with my own humongous backlog of unplayed games (I'll get to them someday, I swear!), and not feeling like it'll be hard to find copies of the game later... yeah, I can wait.

Just found out my local GameStop is having a midnight opening for Pokemon on Friday, so there's that. Maybe I can kick myself into getting further in Atelier Iris 2 in the meantime...

Well both Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit were games that took the elements of storytelling and player agency to new depths, if you liked "The Last of Us" even remotely, then you are bound to love any games made by Quantic Dreams.

I am definitely, going to be picking up Beyond: Two Souls.

Fahrenheit sort of fell on its face in the last 1/3 of the game, though. It was on route to be a great murder mystery with weird supernatural elements, then just went balls-to-the-wall crazy in the last act. I never played Heavy Rain, but I hear that David Cage pulled similar nonsense there. That's one of the reasons I'm hesitant about B2S, even though the trailers I've seen make it look amazing.

I understand what happened with Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy to some), it did get a bit weird towards the end. I didn't get that same vibe from Heavy Rain though, it stayed very grounded the whole time.

Ah. I was wondering what game you guys were referring to. I thought I had somehow missed one of their games. I'm much more familiar with the Indigo Prophecy title, though I've never actually played it myself.

I have no doubt that I'll enjoy the games. I've always had much more interest in the storytelling aspect of games, rather than gameplay (thus why I prefer things like Valkyrie Profile and Fate/Stay Night to, say, Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto). Unfortunately this has a tendency to make me suffer on Shin Megami Tensei, Etrian Odyssey, and other dungeon crawler games that should be right up my alley, but fall flat for lacking in the story department.

The games that really catch my attention tend to be the ones with strong and interesting character development. If I don't connect to the characters, chances are the game will fall flat for me (there are a few exceptions, but very few). Which is why I haven't been able to get into the main-line SMT games, but I absolutely loved Persona 4. It's also why Bioware RPGs are right up my alley, but Elder Scrolls bores the crap out of me.

Agreed 100%. I tried to like Nocturne (it was on my humongous queue of PS2 games), and I beat it with the True Demon Ending, but it was absolute torture because there was not enough story to keep me engaged. I don't even touch Elder Scrolls games anymore. It's great that it has so much world-building, but... Mass Effect does it just as well while keeping me fully engaged with my character and teammates.

Yep. I felt the same way when I tried Nocturne. I also tried SMT: Devil Summoner and had the same problem; there's a story there, but the character development and interaction is pretty much nonexistent.

That's why I'm willing to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt with their upcoming Dragon Age: Inquisition. Sure, their last three games have been
Dragon Age 2 with its copy/paste issues, Mass Effect 3's ending and retarded resource system, and SW:TOR from the ground, up.
flawed, but they always manage to get me interested in their stories and characters. The combat in DA:I looks like it could be fun, and as long as they maintain the same quality of storytelling they've had for years, it should be a total blast.