Sci-Fi Book Recommendations? - Page 4 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Sci-Fi Book Recommendations?

Skeen's Leap

I read these books probably 16-17 years ago in their original printing. Loved them.

If you're up for something new and quirky, look up Autonomous by Annalee Newitz. It was very strange but very entertaining!

Ooh, thread necromancy, but definitely in a good cause (though not so much recommendations to the OP who has long since moved on I think, but hey, recommendations!)

Anyhow, City of Brass and sequels aren't really SF but are pretty darn good and also scratch the old "hey, why is all fantasy medieval Europe anyhow" itch. Always surprises me that Middle Eastern, particularly Arabic, culture doesn't get mined more for fantasy, especially given the familiarity of Arabian Nights.

On a similar note, if you enjoyed Daevabad, check out Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed, or for something drawing from similar wells but going in the most completely different direction possible The Golem and the Jinni.

This Thread needs Paolo Bacigalupi. He's sometimes a bit too YA for my taste, but most of his work is absolutely great. The Water Knife is one of the best sci-fi tales I've ever read. And it's driving point isn't any sort of alien hokus-pokus, but water. And poverty.

Oh, now the post I replied to has vanished, making my comments look rather odd. Huh. Maybe it was a cleverer than most spambot, or maybe they just freaked out over responding to a three year old thread and deleted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acromos View Post
This Thread needs Paolo Bacigalupi. He's sometimes a bit too YA for my taste, but most of his work is absolutely great. The Water Knife is one of the best sci-fi tales I've ever read. And it's driving point isn't any sort of alien hokus-pokus, but water. And poverty.
I haven't read any of Bacigalupi's YA stuff, and I'm not much of a fan of "cli-fi." But I do love his short fiction. I came across "The Fluted Girl" in a sci-fi anthology I got from the library. That led me to Pump Six which is one of my favorite short story collections in the genre. Water Knife is my lest fav of the works of his I've read (but still really interesting). Windup Girl was good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchern View Post
I haven't read any of Bacigalupi's YA stuff, and I'm not much of a fan of "cli-fi." But I do love his short fiction. I came across "The Fluted Girl" in a sci-fi anthology I got from the library. That led me to Pump Six which is one of my favorite short story collections in the genre. Water Knife is my lest fav of the works of his I've read (but still really interesting). Windup Girl was good too.
What? But water knife is great! =)

It's not a literary masterpiece as such, but it paints such a lovely picture of a future that isn't too far off, and isn't too unlikely to actually come to pass. And it's a nice story, but in a sort of Raymond Chandler kinda way. It's carried not so much by wildly complicated plot or twists, but by interesting characters and world building. I love it.

Never read the fluted girl. I'll have to dig for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acromos View Post
Never read the fluted girl. I'll have to dig for that.
Easiest place to get it is in Pump Six. That's the collection of his short stories that you'll find just about everywhere.

Content warning though. That story is aggressively not for everyone.

I have to recommend the Gap Cycle by Stephen Donaldson, starting with The Real Story.

It’s on the darker side, dealing with a few heavy themes, and there’s no real ‘hero’ to root for. I enjoyed that sort of angle when I read them.

That's Donaldson, IIRC.

Generally liked it better than his better known Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.