GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Fantasy Grounds for Play by Post

I use roll20 if I need a map, but the current PBP games I am running are Theatre of the Mind. I only use them for my reference, so I can describe things better.

I've never used a VTT but I do use battle maps in my games, with Photoshop being my go-to tool. I think it adds a lot to combat, especially for people that enjoy playing with minis.

I've thought about getting more into a VTT but Photoshop just works so darn well and the only feature I'm really after is the maps.

Occasionally I have used roll20 for maps. I have played around with a few of them. They feel slow and cumbersome for Pbp. These systems are built to run live online sessions that can run for hours. While Pbp are very short sessions. These systems take longer to load than I need to actually use them. In the time roll20 takes to load my game, I can update a map, and attach it to MW post.

The Pbp pacing is slow enough that I can track hp and other issues within my posts. If I need to track additional details, I can keep it in a spreadsheet.

Just joined myth-weavers and considering running a game here using FG as the combat system (for major combats), the rest would be run by me and posting a video or log of what happened. I need to check out Roll20 but most of stuff is in FG like the Rise of Runelords. I don’t think people would have to pay to join my game.

I've used Maptools, Mote and FG for mapping and organizing my DM info, then taking screen shots. I post those to Google Drive, and link to the forum for PbP games, as it puts the burden of hosting on google, and not the site. Each have their perks, but players aren't connecting and doing things. It's merely for DM organization and then securing a map shot for players to refer to.

Maptools/Mote have the built-in mapping tools and the grid with a coordinate setup which are great. Plus they are freeware. That said, they aren't bug-free, and that's important.

FG has great support (for the most part), and one can utilize it for PbP screen shots even just with the demo. So, in that respect: Cost is *not* a factor for someone to just load the demo, drop images and tokens and move them around on your own. You can do more with a paid license, but it's not needed with basic ruleset stuff like the various 3.5, 4e, 5e, PF rulesets that come with it. It lacks a mapper, but does allow someone to add notes and track things, which are useful for a DM.

I think using a VTT (especially FG) for combat is a great idea. Then you could leave all the roleplaying and social interaction stuff for regular forum posting. Anyway, I hope that more DMs out there start trying to run these "hybrid" games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magrus View Post
I've used Maptools, Mote and FG for mapping and organizing my DM info, then taking screen shots. I post those to Google Drive, and link to the forum for PbP games, as it puts the burden of hosting on google, and not the site. Each have their perks, but players aren't connecting and doing things. It's merely for DM organization and then securing a map shot for players to refer to.
This is almost exactly what I do. I just use Imgur for it since I can Print Screen and paste and do the editing in Imgur. The main reason I use it over Roll20 is that I've mostly been running older games who don't have proper PDF maps. Makes it virtually impossible to get squares on the map. Using Mote, I can fiddle with it as I go and none are the wiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythical View Post
I think using a VTT (especially FG) for combat is a great idea. Then you could leave all the roleplaying and social interaction stuff for regular forum posting. Anyway, I hope that more DMs out there start trying to run these "hybrid" games.
I wouldn't mind trying something like that. I should see if FG can record logs which could be cut and pasted into a PbP game.

I use Irfanview for screenshot, resize and resample action. I love it because it's freeware, it's stable and I can hotkey the buttons to Open it, Set to Capture, Capture, Save, and Load. So I can be in something and then just Ctrl+Shift+A to open Irfanview, C to set to capture, Ctrl+A to capture screenshot and Ctrl+S to save in a matter of seconds. Fast and easy to secure images of the maps with the tokens on them for combat. Then I upload to Google Drive (free hosting woo) and click "Share" then link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Pathfinder View Post
Are there any DMs here that host play by post games using some sort of VVT to track combat and use the digital maps?
The concept is good. I use roll20 for a persistent map that players can check at any time. I retain control of all tokens so they don’t go wandering in between rounds. To start combat I reveal the initiative order then let all the players post their desired action and desired behavior if the action becomes unavailable. Once all the players have posted I write a dramatic rendition of the round and include a spoiler with pure logistics. I have posted an example below.