Much free time. Just found this place. How does it work? - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Introductions

Newcomers, don't be shy, come and introduce yourself! Our members will be delighted to bring you into the fold.

Much free time. Just found this place. How does it work?

@Ennui Malaise

What game systems are you interested in/familiar with? Some systems tend to draw more attention than others. If you have a particular game type you like, I'm sure we can get you links to a couple of good ones. You can still review the application process that they went through (the game ads are still linked to the games themselves!) and get a feel for what a game looks like during/after character selection.

I can personally get you access to freeform, classic world of darkness, and DnD 3.5 -- though I'll give you fair warning that I tend to be a freeform style player, and that reflects in the games I GM in other systems. Other GMs will run with the level of rules that they are comfortable with, but it might give you a solid idea of what's going on.

Just found that inconspicuous 'Forum' link in the advert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatteredKing View Post
"Where is this Game Forum you speak of?" - look at an ad. Lets take Gothos: The Trials of Azureth. This is the geography of an ad...
  • Brown Bar at the top with the Game Title
  • Brown Bar with date and time of post
  • The game title again, followed by the word FORUM. <------- This bit was lost to me as a new user.
  • The name of the game system
  • The body of the ad.
I can see clearer now the fog is lifting.
It was not obvious to me as a brand new visitor that

Gothos: The Trials of Azureth
Gothos: The Trials of Azureth - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

The small 'Forum' mentioned in this advert was actually a link to where applications were lodged.

I see it now that I know what i am looking for.

Thank you for your patience and explanations.

How do I refer to you with @TatteredKing ? Is there a bbCode I have also overlooked to use @User_Name.

Much Thanks. I am going to continue to read through and follow more of your directions.

Procuring knowledge, one helping hand at a time.

Apologies, I haven't learned to use @Yamazaki to refer to you just yet, learning as I go.

Much thanks and praise to the quality and welcomed exposition Yamazaki.

One hurdle overcome - that pesky Forum link that this new user didn't know exactly where to look.
At last a html link that didn't slap one in the face.

Yamazaki, I think you have identified my learning needs and were clear and concise in your answering my questions one at a time. I am appreciative of your method.
Not that anyone else was doing it wrong. Also thanks to @Amy and @tattered and @Chase. It was your accumulated wisdoms finally got through my thick skull with this last post from @Yama.

All replies have been overwhelming. You have portrayed a PbP forum with engaged, supportive and interested colleagues.

I do hope I am the exception of the new users and not the norm, and you all have been a helping hand.

@Yama all your examples will be read and fervently mulled over.

Regards
@Ennui

Enjoy the Weave!

And I'll test out my new greeting prefix!

See ya' around!

@Chase,

Game systems interested in : I was introduced to D&D with 3.5 (yeah! THAC0 ) took a decade break (got busy and moved) end of last year I was invited to 5e and have begun learning by playing that one with the same group of yore.

The breaks have come onto my life and the once a month sessions are not feeding my hunger. Thus the exploration that led me here.

I was interested in
GURPS (read but never played closest was PC Fallout 1)
Traveller (also read and realise you could die before starting game)
Firefly (read this also was very keen as a SciFi junkie)

I don't know how to play anything but D&D through experience and invites of friends.

I am not a rules stickler as I am not fluent in them.
Happy to learn as I go along and have my hand held and chastise if I finagle excessively.

The only PbF experience I have I cannot yet link to (restictions here) but if you google Wartwood Cheesedew you can discover my Gnomish Sorcerer that was abandoned by the GM and left to wander the lands of Flanaess. see tapatalk-dot-com

If there's a simple sci-fi meandering adventure / trading / exploring game I should look into and learn I shall do that.
Fantasy is what I new and drew me in initially but I will just as readily throw my swag into the next long haul freighter to the stars with all my ignorance slowly drifting away behind me and out the airlock with them pesky droids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennui Malaise View Post
How do I refer to you with @TatteredKing ? Is there a bbCode I have also overlooked to use @User_Name.
Just like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennui Malaise View Post
Apologies, I haven't learned to use @Yamazaki to refer to you just yet, learning as I go.

Much thanks and praise to the quality and welcomed exposition Yamazaki.
No problem! I'm glad my examples helped.

One of the things I've realized over the years is that I learn best from examples followed by playing around, and I tend to teach well with those sorts of methods. I figured out a lot by poking around the forums, seeing how everyone else did things, and learning from them.

Anyhow, wander around the forums, find a game when you're ready, and pop an application in. And don't be discouraged if you are not accepted into a game right away - often times it takes a few shots to get into a game (especially those with high volume applicants, like the high-level Pathfinder games). Take a little bit of joy in the application process, and you'll do fine.

Good Luck, and have fun!

OBTW, @Ennui Malaise, One thing you can do...if you want to see how someone dis something? Hit the quote button at the bottom of their message. It will show you the code used to do certain things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatteredKing View Post
OBTW, @Ennui Malaise, One thing you can do...if you want to see how someone dis something? Hit the quote button at the bottom of their message. It will show you the code used to do certain things.
A great tip @TatteredKing I believe it works.