Long-time user, first-time poster - Myth-Weavers

Introductions

Newcomers, don't be shy, come and introduce yourself! Our members will be delighted to bring you into the fold.

Long-time user, first-time poster

Long-time user, first-time poster

Hi, I'm Illogictree. I've been a member of Myth-Weavers for quite a while, but up until this point I've only been using it as a repository for my character sheets.

I play a lot of Pathfinder and D&D 5e. I've also DMed a little, though usually when I do that, I run Dungeon Wold. I'm highly interested in trying out other systems too though.

Anyway, I thought I should drop an intro thread here before I try getting in on any games.

Glad to have you posting, @Illogictree!

You've been around for a while, using the sheets, at least, so yay!

Check out this wonderful post by Rodrigo for the basics of what you need to know about playing on Myth-Weavers. We are our own little ecosystem, after all.

The other basics that are handy to have nearby:

The ever useful bbCode Help!
Learn how to use our dice code here in our DiceRoller Wiki!

And my personal favorite, join our Myth-Weavers Discord Server!

It's fun! It's silly! And harpoons are a traditional greeting!

Welcome man, it takes a while to post and get used to it, so don't worry. Some are just waiting for the right moment, you will be fine.

Greetings, @Andercot!

So, you want to get into PBP? There are some things you should know. PBP is different from Tabletop in several ways. The biggest way is that the players and GM don't all sit down at the same time for a set amount of time to play. Players log in when they have time to post. It works well for those insanely busy people, or people who can't dedicate 4-5 hours in one stretch to play. It is also GREAT for creative writing, as you can take some time to describe your activities. The downside of this is games take A LONG time, and move slowly. You may want to review out Site Rules.

How things work here, is GMs will post an advertisement for the game they want to run in the Games and Ads section. Interested players will then apply. There are usually some guidelines for creating your character, what sourcebooks you can use, any house rules you should be aware of. Pay attention to them. Popular games like D&D 3.5 and 5E, and Pathfinder can get a lot of applicants, and one way GMs will weed through applications is to look for missing information, or incomplete characters. So read the character creation guidelines carefully. Also, check what characters others are applying with. If everyone is making fighting and sneaking type characters, you may be better off playing a spellcaster.

If it is your thing, we also have a 5E Adventurer's League here. I have heard that the games are first come first play.

Less popular game systems are often easier to get in to. While you would definitely get a group if you posted interest in running a Dungeon World game, I'd hold off and play for a while until you understand how PBP is different.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Most of all, HAVE FUN!

Thanks, folks! I'll be sure to read the rules and such before I make any applications.

I'm not exactly new to PbP, but I still haven't done a lot of it yet.