A Quest for Characters - Myth-Weavers

Introductions

Newcomers, don't be shy, come and introduce yourself! Our members will be delighted to bring you into the fold.

A Quest for Characters

A Quest for Characters

Hi.

Let me say first, that I love characters.

Whether I'm writing a story, performing on stage, or just hanging around on an old-fashioned MUD, it's all about the characters for me. I love inhabiting a character, figuring out what makes them tick, discovering the world through their eyes, and seeing how they mesh (or clash) with other characters around them. For me, that's where the most satisfying stories come from.

So, ever since I first read about AD&D as a kid, RPGs have seemed like a dream come true: a way to have fun with other people who enjoy the same thing, and build rich, compelling, character-driven stories together.

But over the years, every time I tried to actually play, it never seemed to turn out that way. Some campaigns were completely linear: walk down another hall, and kill another monster. Some were simply random: "Roll for an encounter!" And some were really a tactical wargame. Clearly, many people enjoyed that... but it wasn't what I was looking for. And eventually, I gave up.

And then, last year, I discovered Critical Role, and Shield of Tomorrow, and Titansgrave. Rich, compelling, character-driven stories. There actually are real people out there, playing the kind of games I imagined as a kid!

I still can't seem to find a game like that to play in person. (And I also have a job, and a career, and it's not so easy to carve out 3 or 4 hours of time on a regular, ongoing basis.)

But from what I've seen so far, there seem to be people here on Myth-Weavers who feel the same way I do about characters and stories.

And they seem to be running the kind of games that I've been looking for all my life.

P.S. I'm most familiar with the mechanics of D&D 5E and FATE, but I'm certainly willing to learn. Just please be patient, because I am just learning.

Thank you for the invitation. At some point, I might be willing to give 2E another shot. But for now, I think I’d prefer to either stick with what I know, or learn something completely new. Trying to get different sets of rules in the same system to stick in my head at the same time, is just going to confuse me.

5e is a popular system I'm sure you'll find games that come up, just keep your eyes in the Games and Ads subforum.

I'd invite you to my 5e Gestalt game but all my groups are in the middle of their stories.

It's all about the characters and settings for me as well, @TallHalfling and I've been playing for nearly two decades. (Amusingly, I don't play D&D, either).

So, see you around, I guess!

Greetings @TallHalfling!

So, you want to get into PBP? There are some things you should know. PBP is different from Tabletop in several ways. The biggest way is that the players and GM don't all sit down at the same time for a set amount of time to play. Players log in when they have time to post. It works well for those insanely busy people, or people who can't dedicate 4-5 hours in one stretch to play. It is also GREAT for creative writing, as you can take some time to describe your activities. The downside of this is games take A LONG time, and move slowly. You may want to review out Site Rules.

How things work here, is GMs will post an advertisement for the game they want to run in the Games and Ads section. Interested players will then apply. There are usually some guidelines for creating your character, what sourcebooks you can use, any house rules you should be aware of. Pay attention to them. Popular games like D&D 3.5 and 5E, and Pathfinder can get a lot of applicants, and one way GMs will weed through applications is to look for missing information, or incomplete characters. So read the character creation guidelines carefully. Also, check what characters others are applying with. If everyone is making fighting and sneaking type characters, you may be better off playing a spellcaster.

Less popular game systems are often easier to get in to. We do have FATE games come up pretty regularly. I have found that systems with less rules can be more easily made into character-driven stories. But also, PBP lends itself to this as well. As long as your GM doesn't plan too far in advance and is open to deviating from the story he wants to tell to incorporate the story you want to tell. Personally, I love when players take some advocacy, want to tell a story about their past and how they are dealing with it.

A couple years ago, I started playing a new game system, and had a long storyline planned out. However, shortly after starting it, the characters were trying to do things, instead of following along on the railroad tracks. Two things struck me. 1) These were a different brand of players than I had played with before and 2) the new system I was playing with was perfect for them to do this. It made it so easy for me to just go with what they were doing, change things up, ad lib. Instead of taking hours to plan out adventures and build creatures and NPCs, I could do it on the fly in moments. It was extremely freeing.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. I hope you find the right mix, system and game you crave! Most of all, HAVE FUN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsenRG View Post
It's all about the characters and settings for me as well, @TallHalfling and I've been playing for nearly two decades. (Amusingly, I don't play D&D, either).
Great! Any particular systems you can recommend that might be more likely to lead to character-driven stories?

EXCELLENT! Another soul to sacrifice to the RNG Go....
*ahem*
*hides behind the corner*