Gaming Computers - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Gaming Computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetic_joe View Post
Late 90's til maybe 2001 or so I would guess.
Good grief! No wonder you gave up. Things were incredibly expensive back then. As noted above, it's not that bad these days.

My Rig

EVGA X52(I think) 1366pin
2.66 ghz(Quad) I7
12G 1366 DDR3 RAM
125G (SSD)
1Tb(HHD)
AMD Radeon 6870 (2gb)
Win 7 Pro X64
With a Razor Actosa keybaord and Razor Deathadder 3g mouse

Bought it about 3 years ago. Been adding pieces since then

And yes I know I spent way to much on it.

ASRock Z77 Pro3
Intel Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40 GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB GDDR5
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold Edition 850W PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

With a Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Razer Naga Epic, and Razer Carcharias as peripherals.

Computer isn't even a year old though, only about a month.

I'm not much of a computer techy. I went with a Dell because I wanted something I knew would work and last. All of my Dell computers have been fantastic in the past. I use it for gaming and work.

Studio XPS 435T
Intel Core i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20Ghz
12GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit
450GB HDD with two external 1TB HDDs.

I'm an animation student, so I wanted a reliable computer that could comfortably run Maya, Zbrush, Mudbox, Photoshop, Premiere, etc. Since my school's computer labs are an hour away, this makes homework a lot easier.

I made the mistake of putting my money in the external HDDs for the purpose of keeping work backed up. If I could change one thing about the PC, it would be to add a second internal 1TB HDD, for running programs. I haven't run into any problems, this computer is pretty boss, but a lot of animation/modeling programs are REALLY heavy, and keeping that on a HDD with my OS is going to be a problem someday. =(

Also, a larger cintiq would be nice. =o I have a 12" model, but at school we have the larger 21". The 12" works, I feel lucky to have it because a lot of students just have bamboo tablets, but man... 21"... *drools*

I also need to get a legitimate monitor someday. I'm using a Samsung TV now. I wanted something I could hook my PS3 up to, and didn't have the money or space for two separate displays.

Not a very techy guy either. After like 5 years of having the same computer I "upgraded" to an Asus laptop.

Yeah, I use my computer mostley for gaming purposes. I've been playing GW2, TSW and Arma 2 in ultra with 3D and so far it works just fine. The only porblem I find is that the drivers have to be provided by Asus and because they need to be for laptops (thats type M) their version is usually not as up to date as the drivers of a regular PC.

Here are the specifications:

•Asus G75VW-91121Z-24GB
•Display: 17.3" Full HD 3D 16:9 Full HD 3D(1920x1080 120Hz) LED Backlight
•CPU: Intel® Quad Core™ i7-3610 QM ( 2.3GHz )
•Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 M 3GB dedicated
•Storage: 2 TB
•Memory: 24GB
•Thunderbolt x 1

I had to buy it abroad becuase you just can't get them in my country.

Also, I probably have WAY more RAM than I'll ever need.

On my laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad Y560 with some extras thrown in): Intel Core i7-720QM (1.6 GHz)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730
128GB SSD (Crucial m4)
8GB of memory
64bit Windows 7 Home Premium
Heavy and definitely worth less than the money I've put into it, but it does what I need it to do. Hooked up to a Razer Naga and the monitor from an old Dell Dimension 8100 (which happens to still be functional and under my desk, albeit with a newer hard drive and a bit more memory.) Used more for gaming and playing music than anything right now. EVE and Fable III mostly. Ran Crysis on max settings fairly well, but couldn't handle the last battle even on minimum settings for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoka View Post
I made the mistake of putting my money in the external HDDs for the purpose of keeping work backed up. If I could change one thing about the PC, it would be to add a second internal 1TB HDD, for running programs. I haven't run into any problems, this computer is pretty boss, but a lot of animation/modeling programs are REALLY heavy, and keeping that on a HDD with my OS is going to be a problem someday. =
Shouldn't be to hard to fix. On newegg you can get some pretty cheap and good hard drives. Depending on the motherboard you got, you should be able to add another internal hard drive. Just make sure you get a sata cable and check what sata capabilities your motherboard has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Also, I probably have WAY more RAM that I'll ever need.
I'll remember that in 5-10 years when I'm putting something like 124GB of RAM into my PC

Which of course brings back memories of cassette tape drives... and 16k, 32k, or even 64k (gasp) of ram on my computers, lol.

Edit: Oh, and those huge 10mb hard drives that were amazing that came out a few years down the road!!!