Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

Links within a page

Let's do a test thing.

This is some filler text.

More filler.

If I'm understanding this right, appending #EzzPostMid to the url should jump you to this post.

Edit: but it doesn't seem to work from my phone.

Part of the reason this doesn't really exist is that, unless the anchor you're linking to is within the post, it's impossible to guarantee that the anchor you're trying to link to is even on the page. For example, if you're writing post B and referencing post A, which has an anchor like #postBLAH, the different posts-per-page available to users, or the fact that post content shows up in search results and gets pulled out into other features, means that the anchor tag you're referencing might not be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
Part of the reason this doesn't really exist is that, unless the anchor you're linking to is within the post, it's impossible to guarantee that the anchor you're trying to link to is even on the page. For example, if you're writing post B and referencing post A, which has an anchor like #postBLAH, the different posts-per-page available to users, or the fact that post content shows up in search results and gets pulled out into other features, means that the anchor tag you're referencing might not be available.
Sorry for "necroing" this thread, but I found it while researching this very topic for a large project I'm currently working on. It didn't really seem out of date, so I thought I'd bring it back to life to make my request.

Anyway, since this is the case, would it at least be possible to get a variation of the URL tag that doesn't open a new window or tab so that we can make use of this sort of thing the way we'd like to? Even if the anchor is located in another post on another page, this will still allow you to direct people to that specific anchor without having to deal with additional windows/tabs, without any of the issues that come from linking to an anchor that doesn't exist on the current page for a specific person, all while still allowing them to use the back/forward options on their browsers.

It kind of defeats the point of an anchor when it behaves exactly like a normal link. It's just significantly easier to link to a post and not bother encoding anchor tags with the current behavior.

My suggestion would be to make it work something like [urla=anchor]http://url.to&t=specific&p=post[/urla] and if deemed necessary, should they not include an anchor or include an external link, it could just convert to a normal URL tag.

Either way it would be a nice feature so we can really make use of anchors properly.

The point of anchors was to provide navigation within a (long) post.

Rather than make yet another tag, I might edit the behavior of the url tag to not open another tab/window if it's an internal link.

I understand that. It's just sometimes we have to split those long posts up, or reference them from other posts.

Also, I don't think you should alter the baseline URL tag. That could get frustrating for people who are used to it opening a new link under normal circumstances, especially when they only discover the change after they went to close it.

Opening a new window is already a deviation from an older and more established/standard behavior of not doing it (allowing users to control their own browser behavior). I'll, of course, review the pros and cons of both along with how things are used before making a decision to modify an existing and widely used feature.