A Better Duelist - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

A Better Duelist

A Better Duelist

I need help creating a finesse fighter. Flavor is important, and she's a pirate-type (not a captain) that will use a rapier. I'll take Swashbuckler up to level 3 but not too interested in it past that. I'm really looking for a PrC similar to the Duelist in the DMG, but better. Some of the ones I looked at were:

Bladesinger: The high INT would help with both Swashbuckler and Bladesinger, but I'm not sure the flavor of Bladesinger really fits with the character

Dervish: I really like this idea, and have found a lot of pictures of pirates wielding scimitars. The problem with this, is that you can't use weapon finesse with a Scimitar until you make it to Devish. So either I waste Weapon Finesse and use a scimitar, or I waste a feat to take Weapon Focus (required for Dervish) on a weapon I won't be using for awhile. If there were a feat that allowed Weapon Finesse on a slashing weapon (besides spiked chain) that might solve the problem.

Dread Pirate or Duelist: Just not interested in these classes at all.

I'm not an optimizer, flavor is definitely more important to me than power. Anyone have any ideas?

You can't go far wrong with Scarlet Corsair (from Stormwrack), since it gives you the ability to feint as a free action. It's a very solid PrC for the Finesse types, but the prerequisite of owning your own ship and being a well-known pirate captain can be tricky to meet.

I recommend checking out Complete Scoundrel, if you have access to it. Daring Outlaw and Deadly Defense are two feats that you might find particularly attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodoKai View Post
Dervish: I really like this idea, and have found a lot of pictures of pirates wielding scimitars. The problem with this, is that you can't use weapon finesse with a Scimitar until you make it to Devish. So either I waste Weapon Finesse and use a scimitar, or I waste a feat to take Weapon Focus (required for Dervish) on a weapon I won't be using for awhile. If there were a feat that allowed Weapon Finesse on a slashing weapon (besides spiked chain) that might solve the problem.
Dervish is probably the best option for you.
1. Weapon Finesse does work on slashing weapons.
Quote:
Weapon Finesse [General]
Prerequisite

Base attack bonus +1.
Benefit

With a light weapon, rapier, whip, or spiked chain made for a creature of your size category, you may use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls. If you carry a shield, its armor check penalty applies to your attack rolls.
You could dual wield short swords for starters.

2. Open Tome of Battle and take a look at the Warblade. Note the Weapon Aptitude class ability.
Quote:
Weapon Aptitude (Ex): Your training with a wide range of weaponry and tactics gives you great skill with particular weapons. You qualify for feats that usually require a minimum number of fighter levels (such as Weapon Specialization) as if you had a fighter level equal to your warblade level -2. For example, as a 6th-level warblade, you could take Weapon Specialization, since you're treated as being a 4th-level fighter for this purpose. These effective fighter levels stack with any actual fighter levels you have. Thus, a fighter 2/warblade 4 would also qualify for Weapon Specialization.

You also have the flexibility to adjust your weapon training. Each morning, you can spend 1 hour in weapon practice to change the designated weapon for any feat you have that applies only to a single weapon (such as Weapon Focus). You must have the newly designated weapon available during your practice session to make this change. For example, if you wish to change the designated weapon for your Weapon Focus feat from greatsword to longsword, you must have a longsword available to practice with during your practice session.

You can adjust any number of your feats in this way, and you don't have to adjust them all in the same way. However, you can't change the weapon choices in such a way that you no longer meet the prerequisite for some other feat you possess. For instance, if you have both Weapon Focus (longsword) and Weapon Specialization (longsword), you can't change the designated weapon for Weapon Focus unless you also change the weapon for Weapon Specialization in the same way.
In addition, Warblades reward high Int and are a fairly powerful class. It might not go with the fluff of being a pirate, but you can always re-fluff the class to fit your needs.

I like this build: Fighter2/rogue 3/Swashbuckler 3/Street fighter 5/Scarlet corsair7

Grab the daring outlaw feat from Complete Scoundrel. Nets you improved feint, +7d6 sneak attack as well as a solid spread across the board for a none-caster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
Dervish is probably the best option for you.
1. Weapon Finesse does work on slashing weapons.
You could dual wield short swords for starters.
Wow duh, I feel stupid. Forgot all about light weapons. Short sword could work, although I'd prefer something more like a cutlass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
2. Open Tome of Battle and take a look at the Warblade. Note the Weapon Aptitude class ability.

In addition, Warblades reward high Int and are a fairly powerful class. It might not go with the fluff of being a pirate, but you can always re-fluff the class to fit your needs.
Unfortunately I don't have access to Tome of Battle. I hope to get it soon, but I'm kind of anal about my books, I don't want them (too) used, and I don't really want to pay $50 for a $30 book, so until I can find a deal...

I guess I'll check Stormwrack for a slashing weapon finesse weapon, if not, I guess short sword it is.

EDIT: Well there you go, Stormwrack has a cutlass which is a light weapon. That problem solved, now I just need some cool PrCs.

You can get the warblade class description from WotC, a list of all maneuvers from the website's maneuver cards...

If you use a Feycraft Scimitar, that would let you use Weapon Finesse with it from the get go, wouldn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodoKai View Post
Wow duh, I feel stupid. Forgot all about light weapons. Short sword could work, although I'd prefer something more like a cutlass.
Actually, there is a cutlass listed on the SRD. I'm not sure what book it's actually from, but it's on the official SRD, and it can be used with Weapon Finesse. Also, short swords are piercing weapons, not slashing weapons.

That said, don't be so afraid to refluff things. I learned a while back that part of really owning a character is being willing to take the basic, mechanical items from the books and fluff it into something mechanically identical, but completely true to your character.

For example, one of the guys from a game I was in not too long ago decided to play as the ship's cook. He decided to make this character a Fighter, with all the gear that entails. However, instead of a suit of armor, he had a metal cutting board that hung on a string around his neck. Instead of a warhammer, he had a wicked-looking meat tenderizer. Instead of a greatsword, he had a large kitchen cleaver.

Don't let the system's tendency toward mechanics rob you of your creative license.

Actually, doing a little more research, I'm not really sure where the info on that Cutlass page came from. However, I did find the weapon in Stormwrack. It's listed as 1d6 damage, crit x2/19-20, and the basket hilt grants the wielder a +2 circumstance bonus on any checks to resist being disarmed. It's considered a martial light weapon, and deals slashing damage.