Jin Lin Thi - Monk of the Wind - Myth-Weavers

Jin Lin Thi - Monk of the Wind

Jin Lin Thi - Monk of the Wind

Name: Jin Lin Thi
Race: Hume - Zeltinnea (AKA Variant Human)
Class: Monk 2- (Eventually Way of the Southern Sky)/ Cleric 1(Life Domain)

Music:
Jin's Musical Theme/Sonic Boom (Epic Instrumental Cover)

Version of Sonic Boom that plays when Jin unlocks/uses his Sorcerer based Powers in the heat of battle/Time of need (Monk Level 3)

Description: Jin is a fair skinned hume who seems to have unusual traits. His Golden Brown eyes almost have an otherworldly glow to them and his bluish silver hair always seems to have an issue with being styled, the unruly hair always going into small quill like clumps that you would swear one set would purposely stick out on purpose ruining the style. Jin has an overall lean build that seems to be a result of his favorite pastime, running. One can sometimes swear that they see a blur with traces of blue in it and they also swear the wind picks up afterwards blowing stuff around.

Personality: Jin has a style that blends both high speed lightning like attitude with the common sense wisdom of a guy just looking to do the right thing (not necessary the lawful thing). It is said this split style is designed to please both his teachers. When people meet Jin they usually just see the blur zip past. He might come off as a bit cheeky especially to those who act all high and mighty, He doesn't really care who he pisses off as most of the time all his actions are in good fun and if he really pissed someone off to the point that they'll want his head. He'll most likely just quietly sneak off and never be heard from again or at least he'll try to keep a low profile. He loves the chance to run free and wild and if things get a little to restrictive, he'll find ways to get out of things

History: Jin hails from Nelveska Temple. It was said that the winds of fate bought him to the temple when his mother Yuki came to the temple pregnant. It's not fully known why his mother came to the temple but some think it was because of violence or exile. In any case both Jin and his mother were welcome at the temple and given sanctuary. Jin attended classes of both winds finding stuff they did both fun and interesting. He loved the activity but sometimes became a disruption when calmer things were required. As he grew up he found it hard to choose between the two ways. He loved the ability to heal himself and the way northern elders flew via the wind but he also loved the raw magic and power of the southern sky elders and both teachers often had debates about what path Jin would accept. When it came time to choose one and advance his training Jin decided to take the third option, roam. With a goodbye to his mother and a letter to both his teachers thanking them for taking him and his mother in and giving him some training, He took off.

He found himself at Gate Pass about a year ago just in time for their annual festival of light and he decided to help out befriending an teenage acolyte of the Temple of Deudalaphon named Elaina who was helping with the setup of the festival and Jin being a helpful sort assisted her often running to get supplies she needed at a faster pace then she could ever muster. Others quickly took note of Jin's amazing foot speed and while he wasn't the smartest cookie he could follow directions and figure stuff out while he was helping he got curious about the temples and religion and asked a lot of questions. Elaina did what she could to help teach Jin about the religions and Jin made some connections between what he was taught as a monk and the lessons done there as they were similar if not the same and when he talked with some of the higher ups of the temple and told them about his training and about one of his teachers, they recognized his northern sky teacher as a former temple cleric and recognized his other teacher as both a powerful sorcerer and respected teacher in his own right. Jin sensing he was among friends asked if he could join the temple to get some more advance training in magic. The temple was more then happy to help teach Jin and with a prayer to the divine power of Deudalaphon, Jin's unlocked healing magic which seemed to sync with his own internal magic or Ki and he felt his internal magic could be used for other magical practices and he could fall back on divine power to keep himself on his feet and running which was what he liked to do the most. In a way he was mixing the teachings of both ways and making himself one with the wind. It didn't matter which side he picked the powers of both could be unlocked in various ways and used and it was him who determined how he was to use it.

The year passed and one day Jin started to get a strong feeling that certain things were not so right as the wind had gotten a strange taste to it and it seemed to cause disharmony in his magic and when he came to the temple of Deudalphon people were running around all crazy like with many injured with varying form of burns and other fire damage. Quick to jump into action, Jin ran around quickly getting the healing supplies and using some of his own magic to help patch people up. An inquiry to his fellow healers started that all morning long they had been dealing with burn victims who had used teleportation magic some who came from far away appearing in a blazing burst and being turned to ash but one that had managed to survive his blazing trip before he became unconscious had stated, the empire had been sunk. Clarification revealed that a large portion of the empire had sunk but now new trouble was coming. Along with the 'burning sky' effect stopping teleportation for the most part, druids were saying the weather was acting up and that spring wasn't coming and that winter was going to consume everything, migrating animals were going nuts trying to escape this everlasting winter, and the holy empire was on route to the city to attack with in search of those faithful to Glabados which fortunately didn't involve Jin or anyone of his current friends but the city was responding with closing it's gates and there was a bunch of pilgrims for the festival of light now trapped within the city. Jin was feeling quite uneasy and like a trapped rat and the wind was almost blowing him away as if it was trying to send him away from the area. He didn't want to fully abandon his fellow healers but those higher up in the temple after seeking guidance from them suggested that if he felt like something was pushing him to go off now was the time to split before war consumed the area. There was a rumor that someone was looking for a speed master to get a message out to city allies to be able to help defend the city from the rage of a wounded empire and Jin being known for his speed without using magic was most likely the best man to deliver that message and that it might just help everyone he cares about. Jin deciding that indeed he was the best guy for the job, grabbed a few supplies, said his prayers and goodbyes including making a promise to Elaina that he'll be safe and went to go meet this person. He had a lot to lose when it came to this war not only in Gate Pass but in other parts of the world. He was sure his teachers were also being affected by the burning sky and most likely had at least heard of the incidents but if not, it might be best to get word out to them warning them that something big was happening and to be prepared themselves.

~~~ Stat Block ~~~

Jin Lin Thi
Variant Human Monk 2 Cleric Life Domain 1 3 CG

AC 16 HP 24 Speed 50ft

Str 8 (-1) Dex 16 (3) Con 14 (2) Int 8 (-1) Wis 16 (3) Cha 10 (0)

Attacks
Shortsword +5 1d6+3
Dart +5 1d4+3
Sacred Flame DC13 1d8
Toll of the Dead DC13 1d8 or 1d12

Scores: 8, 15, 14, 8, 15, 10
Racial Bonuses: +1 Dex, +1 Wis
Free Skill: Investigation
Free Feat: Mobile

You are exceptionally speedy and agile. You gain the following benefits:

Your speed increases by 10 feet.
When you use the Dash action, difficult terrain doesn't cost you extra movement on that turn.
When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don't provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn, whether you hit or not.

Background: Far Traveler/The Temples
You've come from a distant place - Nelveska Temple

You are an associate of one of the temples and have helped the Gate Pass temples to manage the annual Festival of Light holiday parade. Last year you were promised good fortune.

Skills: Insight, Perception
Tool: Flute, Herbalism Kit
Reason: Wanderer

Background Feature: Blessed by Light
Fortune smiles on you. You or any ally within 30 feet of you may reroll a single saving throw, using the better of the two results.
Once you use this feature, you must finish a long rest before you can use it again.

Class Features
Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d8 per Monk level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per bard level after 1st
Proficiencies
Armor: None
Weapons: Simple weapons, shortswords

Saving Throws: Strength Dexterity
Skills: Stealth Acrobatics
Equipment:
A shortsword
explorer's pack
10 darts

Unarmored Defense
At 1st level, while you are wearing no armor and are not wielding a shield, your AC equals 10 + Dexterity modifier + your Wisdom modifier.

Martial Arts
At 1st level, you gain the following benefits while you are unarmed or wielding only monk weapons and you aren't wearing armor or wielding a shield:

You can use Dexterity instead of Strength for the attacks and damage rolls of your unarmed strikes and monk weapons.
You can roll a d4 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike or monk weapon. This die changes as you gain monk levels, as shown in the Martial Arts column of the Monk table
When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action. For example, if you take the Attack action and attack with a quarterstaff, you can also make an unarmed strike as a bonus action, assuming you haven't already taken a bonus action this turn.
Monk weapons are shortswords and simple melee weapons that don't have the heavy or two-handed property.

Ki
Starting at 2nd level, your access to the mystic energy Ki is represented by a number of ki points. Your monk level determines the number of points you have, as shown in the Ki Points column of the Monk table.

You can spend these points to fuel various ki features. You start knowing three such features: Flurry of Blows, Patient Defense, and Step of the Wind, You learn more ki features as you gain levels in this class,

When you spend a ki point, it is unavailable until you finish a short or long rest, at the end of which you draw all of your expended ki back into yourself. You must spend at least 30 minutes of the rest meditating to regain your ki points.

Some of your ki features require your target to make a saving throw to resist the feature's effects. The saving throw DC is calculated as follows:

Ki save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

Flurry of Blows
Immediately after you take the Attack action on your turn, you can spend 1 ki point to make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action.

Patient Defense
You can spend 1 ki point to take the Dodge action as a bonus action on your turn.

Step of the Wind
You can spend 1 ki point to take the Disengage or Dash action as a bonus action on your turn, and your jump distance is doubled for the turn.

Unarmored Movement
Starting at 2nd level, your speed increases by 10 feet while you are not wearing armor or wielding a shield. This bonus increases when you reach certain monk levels, as shown in the Monk table.

Level 3: Multiclass into Cleric Life Domain

Multiclassing Proficiencies: Light Armor, Medium Armor, Shields

Spell Casting Stat: Wisdom
Three Cantrips, Sacred Flame, Toll the Dead, Light

Deity: Deudalaphon
Domain: Life
Domain Spells: Bless, Cure Wounds
Spells Prepared: Wis Mod + Cleric Level (4)
Healing Word, Shield of Faith, Sanctuary, Create and Destroy Water

Disciple of Life: Healing Spells are boosted by 2 + Spell level

Cure Wounds - 1d8+6
Healing Word - 1d4+6

I imagine you would make a much better Khamja wayfarer than a monk of the southern sky, but a bit of friendly rivalry is always healthy.

I think your personal philosophy regarding magic is a little off from what you'd expect from a monk. This isn't bad, but your relationship with the rest of the monks would be strained as your actual attitude towards magic is borderline heretical (you don't seem to regard it as dangerous, which is something both orders of monks agree on). That could be a fun source of conflict, but would require your character to have specific arguments and counter-arguments both for and against both sides of the argument. Your teachers would have taught you about all the moral pitfalls and dangers of magic alongside the more interesting lessons of how to actually use it. You can disregard those lessons, but you'd have some thoughts on the philosophy at least.

Khamja Wayfarer? *opens PDF book* what the hello is that *sees it's a college of bard* oh a bard type. *makes a slight face as he reads over the special features of the class* eh I get their theme but I'm more of a Divine Soul Sorcerer type of guy which kinda runs with the whole attitude towards magic is borderline heretical (Divine Souls tend to be roleplayed as those who disrupt religion/set ways of thinking, me I play them as playful healers who have their own way of thinking but always for the good.)

I think I can make arguments going both for and against both sides of the argument

Then it's fine. I just wanted to know what your thoughts were on the religion and the competing philosophies were. If you disagree with it or want to disrupt the religion, that is perfectly fine. I just want to know what plans you have for it.

I don't really have any plans to purposely disrupt the religion/philosophies. Sure Jin might have a slightly strained relationship with his two teachers and maybe a more devout monk of either sky might start something with Jin but otherwise Jin isn't a troublemaker but will step in on stuff that bugs him.

If you want me to change classes to one that has a more flexible view on magic I can. I just liked the combo of Southern Sky Monk and Life Cleric as Life Cleric unlocked Divine Magic and amped up healing, and Southern Sky unlocked Sorcerer Magic through Ki with monk movement speed, AC and other things including shortsword proficiency (something that Life Clerics can't get unless they take a feat or a level in fighter or rogue) and has a feature any spell slots I unlocked can be used for any spells I've learned,

You do not have to change the character. I simply wanted to know if your character was willing to discuss the religion or not and if I could use that as a hook.

A considerable part of the campaign can focus on the conflict between the two philosophies, so I wanted to know if you had any preference for either side. If you're a moderate, then I will simply present the arguments of the two philosophies and you can make your own judgment on who to support (South, North, or some third option) when the time comes.

Sorry if the previous posts weren't as coherent or made my intention unclear. This discussion is intended to help you flesh out unique parts of your character I think you will want to use for the story and roleplay, and is not so much as a critique of your actual character or writing skill.

My character is willing to discuss the religion and philosophies of the two skies. I could even do a write up of the two letters he wrote to his teachers if you want me to asking the questions he sought out answers to

As for preference, Jin is a moderate. He leans to the left because he believes magic especially magic he uses is good and believes it should be used to help those who need it however he also leans right and believes there should be some form of regulation even if it's on a personal scale and that those that go out of their way to do harm to others or abuse magic then yeah sure go after these bad magic users, stop them from causing problems show them there are those who can stand up to them.

And no problem, I like figuring some stuff out.