General Discussion - Page 3 - Myth-Weavers

General Discussion

Hurts spellcasters the most, IMO. But it also removes some race/class combos too - like anything from Volo's paired with anything from Xanathar's.

I've read rumors that some significant changes are coming to AL and maybe something will change with this. But who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor_Knight View Post
Hurts spellcasters the most, IMO. But it also removes some race/class combos too - like anything from Volo's paired with anything from Xanathar's.

I've read rumors that some significant changes are coming to AL and maybe something will change with this. But who knows.
It affects character options, but I'm unsure how it affects things in play.
- Can I use Wish to duplicate a spell from a book I don't have access to?
- Can I use the new Xanathar's magic items (Wizard Hat) to simulate a cantrip from a book I can't access?
- Can I copy a scroll of a spell from a book I can't access into my spell book, and gain access that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Ogre View Post
Oh cool! Glad to know I'm not the only one considering this. What I have so far is a Lawful Evil Hobgoblin Wizard, styled after the hobgoblin Devastators described in Volo's guide. His abbreviated background is that he was trained as a Devastator, but his clan got wiped out on his very first major battle. Now he adventures for power, glory, and redemption, hoping to someday return triumphant to his people. Personality-wise, he's direct and polite (like most hobgoblins); honorable, but thinks of his own goals first and foremost.

Any thoughts? Yay? Nay?
I'm currently playing an LE character with the Charlatan background and a non evil 'False Identity' which is fun. I believe LE characters are required to be in either the Lords' Alliance or the Zhentarim factions. I went Zhent for this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoshua View Post
It affects character options, but I'm unsure how it affects things in play.
- Can I use Wish to duplicate a spell from a book I don't have access to?
- Can I use the new Xanathar's magic items (Wizard Hat) to simulate a cantrip from a book I can't access?
- Can I copy a scroll of a spell from a book I can't access into my spell book, and gain access that way?
I would assume that since you can't gain access to the book, you can't do 1 or 2. But #3 is interesting, since you can indeed copy a spell from another wizard's book, and that wizard can be a PC with a different +1 source.

Since AL is more or less an honor system, it'll probably be up to every DM to allow it or not (getting into a situation where, you might have copied a spell in one adventure, but in the next the new DM forbids it, and you end up without it).
The easiest way to solve it for everyone and prevent such problems in the future is to disallow copying spells that aren't in your sources - even if another wizard in your group has them.

I’ve seen discussions on FB that indicate #3 is allowed. You have to spend the downtime ad gold, and have the usual chance of failure. If successful, though, you can get a spell from a different +1 if you come across it in an adventure or through trade.

#3 is in the FAQ.

Based on that, if you can permanently learn spells from other resources, I'd think magic items that duplicate those spells is allowed as well. Also because magic items are not player choices and are not bound by the resource rule.

I would've thought all were allowed. The +1 rule restricts character options, but those spells still exist in the world and so logically could be replicated in this way. Of the three, I thought #3 was the least likely to be allowed.

Edit: Ninja'd by a Knight.

By that same logic, I'd think that adventurers, once out in the world and gaining power away from their place of origin would be exposed to new things. So if a wizard could learn a new spell, couldn't a fighter learn a new way to wage war? Or a barbarian learn how to tap into rage in a new way? Seems totally plausible and not game-breaking.