Notices

The Rise of the Hags

Old Jan 13 '19, 7:03am
Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
The Rise of the Hags

The Coast of the Riven Sea - Forum
Pathfinder

My first attempt at running a 3.X style game in over 8 years, I'm happy to bring you all to the expanded world of the City of Stormhawk. Now we've crossed the Riven Sea, and found ourselves on a new continent in a new city called Shavren, the City of a Thousand Races.

The game will start at level 6. Six players will be accepted. Recruitment closes on January 24, in 12 days, at which point I will take some time to select my players. Accepted players will be informed.

Character Creation Rules and house rules listed there.
Post applications there.

Questions? Comments? Thoughts? Post them here in the Ad thread!

No, I will not open an OOC thread before the game begins--discussion can happen here in this thread! You can also find me pretty readily on the official Myth-Weavers Discord, any time between 0000 and 0700 Mountain Time.

But I want to play X from this source that you haven't allowed, can-- Immastop you right there, no. The allowed sources and races are the allowed sources and races. All of them are available either on the Spheres of Power wiki or the d20pfsrd. You have lots to choose from!

Is this gestalt? No.
Okay but can it be? Please no.

So, What is this game... yanno, about?

Things have been quiet as of late in Shavren, and your characters likely have some times and reputation being the level that you're at. However, there is a hidden threat in the mountains coming for Shavren: A coven of hags has formed, and is plotting against the city, raising an army of goblins, orcs, ettins, and worse creatures to attack the coastal haven. Whether it's for love of rewards, seeking glory, defending your home, or just because it's the right thing to do, your character will need some reason to want to keep Shavren safe.

The adventure will take your characters out of the city and into the surrounding woods and nearby mountains. If the first adventure is successful, this game will branch off into an ongoing campaign that takes place in the regions surrounding Shavren.

I look forward to seeing your applications!

Game Description:

Whether you've lived in the city of Shavren for long or not, there are a few things you've just never managed to get used to. The sheer variety of peoples living here is one of those things, and the transient population is another. You feel like you hardly have a chance to get to know someone, before they've moved on to somewhere else. Still, for better or worse, Shavren, the City of a Thousand Races, is your home for now.

You walk along the ports, where the cold salty air blows in from the east, watching the airships from Stormhawk dock along the towers and the ocean-faring ships unload their cargo. The sun is beginning to dip low in the sea, and there's a sense of inner peace here.

The Lights forbid anything should disrupt it.

Elsewhere, goblins gather around a terrifying wolf-like creature, howling dark epithets to the mountain-pierced sky, orcs corral ettins together, and begin outfitting them with orc-craft armor and weapons; and above it all, three hideous-looking women watch over it all and cackle.

War is coming to Shavren.

Last edited by TheWhitefire; Jan 13 '19 at 9:57am..
@TheWhitefire So! Making my background I discovered my PC might run a business of sorts.... are we using any of the business rules like: Alternate profession rules (and paying appropriately with starting funds)

Or should I just sink some of my starting starting funds as a "this is money I spent on my recycling business" sort of thing?

In the same vein, I'm struggling with the question of "what does my character do for a living?". Feirul Sunfire has ungodly scores in Diplomacy, Bluff and Sense Motive. I figure that on a good day, he is a Courtier-at-large, an intercessor, a mediator and a go-between. On less stellar days, he finds a game of cards, or takes out his flute and plays for supper and a bed.

@SerakHawk if you need a guideline for prices, go for it.
@Casual Viking all of those would be appropriate for this game.

Could you expand a bit on the religion of Nagsimba? What alignment(s) is the faith associated with? What are some general creeds? How much influence the church of Nagsimba wield within the city? Is it's power mostly centralised with a high priest in a cathedral somewhere deciding dogma, and if so, does said high priest live in Shaven? Is Shaven an important region to the church?

Also, what domains is it associated with?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm not super familiar with pathfinder as a setting or pbp as a format, and I like to play religious character when in new territory because it gives me something to base my RP on.

@TheWhitefire annnnnd I think I'm done!

:3

@Lacrimosa the details are purposely scarce. They're a typical Lawful Good religion. They hold the ideas of light, warmth, healing, kindness, mercy and justice in high esteem. The number 4 is important in their imagery. Symmetry and even numbers tend to be seen as "lucky" where as asymmetry and odd numbers as ugly or unlucky.

@TheWhitefire I just realized that I claimed something that might not be possible in my character's backstory. In the description of the Schwartschild family it says they're in charge of the mercenary force that acts as a policing group in the city. Is it acceptable to have my character and before him his mother have worked for said family? Not in a direct way, just as one of those mercenaries. I was assuming that they hired people who were interested but realized that they might either stay mostly within the family or only hire dwarves or something like that so I wanted to double check.

The Schwazchilds mostly hire within their family though not necessarily exclusively.

Okay then with your permission I think I would like to keep that aspect of his backstory. Since it ties him to the city a little more and it could potentially be a plot-point/plot-hook in some way.