Heroes Without Borders

WtC: Heroes Without Borders - Forum
Fate/Fudge
Estimated Members Requested: 1

Recruiting Ronin Angels

A Wearing the Cape Game
The Story

The Premise

The story takes place in the Wearing the Cape universe, where, after a world wide Event, superpowers started appearing. The characters have joined a team dedicated to providing aid to those trapped in disaster areas and war zones. They will brave the deadly intent of Mother Nature and have to protect themselves and their charges from the wraith of other breakthroughs.

Things will pick up on the team's first mission together. A terrible storm is wrecking havoc in Costa Rica and Heroes Without Borders is deploying the team to create a safe zone However, the storm is suspected to be the work of a supervillain, Tropical Razor, and this will put them right into his sights.

It should be noted that this game will be using the Wearing the Cape RPG, which has several differences from standard Fate Core. For the necessary information regarding changes to character creation, check out my Character Creation Guidelines.

The Game

Who is running this show?

Head-GM: Me (Chee)

I won't lie to you, I'm not the best GM. I'm still learning and that means I am going to make some mistakes. There is no 'if' there. I can be dense and slow, take lefts when I should be going right, and trip over my own feet. But when I do, I listen to complaints and suggestions. I'm open to change and can even smile through the pain.

I'm going to school, working a full-time job (and a second part time job), and have truly crappy luck (just ask anybody). There are going to be times where I am slow on the post rates, but I try to keep it to at least once every three days (I'm usually much better than that).

I'm a big fan of superheroes. I am, after all, a nerd. X-men, Heroes, My Hero Academia, Worm, and so on have inspired me. Most recently, I read the whole Wearing the Cape series and have found myself charmed. Hence, game.

If you want to talk with me, you can hit me up via PM or you can track me down on Myth-weavers Discord, where I'm usually creeping around. Generally speaking, Discord is the fastest way to get a hold of me.

What I'm looking for in the Players:

*Players must be willing to read my guidelines and other material and be willing to play by them
*Players must be willing to participate in team, world, and character building activities
*The ability to post at least once per three days.

Wearing the Cape RPG is a system based around narration, the GM's and the Players'. The player must be willing to contribute to the ongoing story, not just sitting and reacting to it. Players are expected to be descriptive of their character's actions, thoughts, and presence. Single sentences just will not cut it.

Cooperation matters. Players will be expected to not only interact with the GM, but with the other players. That includes discussing party actions and expectations, roleplaying together, character interactions, and so on. If you are a lone wolf and don't want to work with other players, then this isn't the game for you.

Absence Policy: Real life happens. If something comes up and you can't post, tell me. I understand. If you are taking a vacation or are going to be away from the internet for a time, tell me. I won't hold it against you. If you disappear without a word and don't post within a week or two, your character gets retired and I boot you so that I can start looking for a replacement.

Characters

What I'm looking for in Characters:

*Interesting, Dynamic, Active people
*Can't Be Evil.
*Can't be full blown psychopaths or sociopaths
*Be three dimensional, aka not Mary Sues or cardboard cutouts.
*Can't be a straight up copy of a famous character (no Super Boys)
*Be INTERESTING, for Pete's sake

To sum all that up, I want organic, original characters. Characters with dreams, goals, and interests. They should actively be trying to play an active part in the game's issues. Which means they should be at least trying to be a good guy. They are active in their own lives, not just sitting around waiting for stuff to happen to them. I want characters that will grow and change as the story progresses, and not just in a mechanical sense.

The primary theme of this game is going to be heroism. Saving people's lives, stopping the Bad Guy, and doing the right thing for the right reasons. Its a little cheesy, sure, but my goal is to move away from grimdark, and the PCs need to play into that.

All the character creation details and specifics can be found on the Character Creation Guidelines on the game forum, found here: https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=412682

How to Apply

The ad will run like this:

Step 1: Follow the link and look over the Character App Process: https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=413283

Step 2: To start your application, post your App in the thread over here: https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthr...8#post12803958

Step 3: When you finish filling out the Form, state so here in the ad

Step 4: Once I look over your pitch, I will usually have a series of questions to hit you with. I'll post those here, in the ad.

Conclusion

To wrap things up...

*I'm looking for 3-6 players
*The Deadline for this ad will be the 16th of October

*All questions, commentary, ooc stuff, anything other than the Forms themselves will take place here, in the Ad*

Game Description:

The Lone Halo squad was one of the most legendary teams in the Heroes Without Borders organization. Formed soon after the Event, the name has seen a lot of action. They have been involved in major disaster zones and some of the most dangerous war zones, saving countless lives. However, five years ago the team suffered harsh losses, causing HWBs to retire the name.

An initiative led by the team's former second in command has gotten the team reinstated. Funded by a private donation, a new HQ and barracks have been set up in Florida, specifically for Lone Halo. Heroes Without Borders has put out feelers not just in the US, but across all the countries HWB operates within. The team is getting rebuilt, and its going to be better than ever. Or, at least, that's the hope. There are lives at stake across the world, its time to step up.

"Because I'm not a filthy peasant, you heathen."

Last edited by Nathan; Oct 4 '17 at 1:03am..
It doesn't have to be a costume costume. Its more like a uniform. But it has to be distinctive enough that people will recognize you on sight. So shirtless with tattooed emblem is fine, as long as there are more bits than that.

I'll probably read stuff over tonight, review tomorrow.

Okay Chee, I have a conundrum with my character that I hope you can help me with. So part of my character's concept is that she hasn't been the best mother since she became a hero. She's been a Hero First, Mother second. And her son is not thrilled about it. With her identity being public, her son has had to deal with the positives and negatives that come about with it, and so he's even less happy about it. The main problem comes from getting the invite to Halo. The reason she chooses to take that path instead of the path she had been on, is because there are certainly more ways she can help people and be an example out in the world. She would easily accept, but this is where I get stuck. I have a hard time imagining that even a careless mother would do something like this without at least taking her son into consideration, and the inevitable argument or halfhearted agreement this would bring. Either way that is something that would make her think.

My main question is, what is your take on the situation?

@DarkNinja
Is the father alive? If yes, her son could be living with the father. This way she could be a bad mother without being outright miserable.

@Althrion: Hmmm that is an idea, I had initially had her husband die, but I could rewrite him into being alive. But I think I'll wait on that

A couple of things before I really dig in on anybody.

1) Power Aspects.There is a certain set up I'm looking for here. To stay with the theme and style of the canon, there are two looks. First one, and probably the one everyone should go with, is the X Class Y Type set up. X being your rank, Y being either the generic name (Speedster) or the first hero (it could be your's or you can make one up) to have that kind of Breakthrough. So, A Class Ajax Type or A Class Hulk Type, for example.

The atypical way is for those Breakthroughs that don't fit the normal superhero or human based mold. At this point, nobody really fits this. Examples would be Fiend of the Night (Vampire) or Quantum-Ghost (minor spoiler, if you want to ask).

2)Breakthrough notes.

-No character has more than one type of Breakthrough. No half Kinetic half Spitter or whatever. They have a single Type, but you might have powered traits not necessarily inherit in your main Type. Like, you could be a Projector Type with D-Class Toughness, or a Kinetic with C-Class Strength, but you aren't a Projector/Ovid type or a Kinetic/Ajax type.

-Transforming. If you have a powered and unpowered form, and these are the only forms you switch between, then that's the label you with. You would be a X Class Transforming Y-Type.

-Transformed. If your character's Breakthrough permanently changed them away from a human form, you tack Transformed on the front. For example, someone's whose Breakthrough turned them into a giant, rock golem would put their aspect as 'Transformed A Class Ajax Type'.

EDIT:

Dark, I'll get back to you about that in the morning.

Alright, I'm good then, please dig into me when you get the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chee View Post
A couple of things before I really dig in on anybody.

[snip]

2)Breakthrough notes.

-No character has more than one type of Breakthrough. No half Kinetic half Spitter or whatever. They have a single Type, but you might have powered traits not necessarily inherit in your main Type. Like, you could be a Projector Type with D-Class Toughness, or a Kinetic with C-Class Strength, but you aren't a Projector/Ovid type or a Kinetic/Ajax type.

-Transforming. If you have a powered and unpowered form, and these are the only forms you switch between, then that's the label you with. You would be a X Class Transforming Y-Type.

[snip]
So, while I'm guessing Markus (my character) would be a X Class Transforming Ajax-Type with some Verne-Type characteristics (similar to Bane or Hulk), I want to make sure what 'X' would be considering the campaign's A Class Rating (still reading through the source material to get a better feel for this).

EDIT: Also, regarding my character concept and method of transformation, would it be in my best interest to detail how TITAN affects Markus, both powering up and powering down?

Not really satisfied with my current concept. I think the problem is that the idea of a mute superhero is competing with the "biologically inhuman" aspect, to the detriment of both. With that in mind, I'm going to be reworking things over the next few days and going with my original concept: an "underworld"-themed Kinetic-type. So as not to step on EDTA's toes, as I know he had professed interest in applying with a Terrakinetic, I think I'll go with a Hydrokinetic.

@ELC, That would indeed be in your best interest, because as it is I'm actually not all that sure of what his Breakthrough is.

My gut reaction is that he is a Verne-Type who is very focused on tinkering with one specific virus? If thats the case, then yeah, his Power aspect will probably represent the Transforming Ajax-Type bit, with additional or different permissions on it.

@Darkninja, well, that's what boarding schools are for. Or grandparents, or like Althrion said, the father. Honestly, I'm not sure how fond I am of a family Trouble. As, by necessity of the game, going to be traveling across the world and almost never home. I'm not sure how it would actually complicate things outside of a phone call home or 'I wish I was elsewhere' mind set.