A New Shore - Westvall

Old Sep 26 '17, 2:24am
Deacon Blues

A New Shore - Westvall

COD Embourg the Bright North - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 4e
Estimated Members Requested: 6

Your people, the Haens, are in flight from their enslavers, the Mandricks. The history of your people may be long and storied already, but you know that mostly, it is just beginning. An enormous fleet of ships, rafts, and crafted islands has streamed out of the Paendraith for almost six years now. The Darkblood wars took the attentions of the Manricks away from their chattel and your ancestor heroes, now worshiped as gods, guide you to a new home on distant shores.

Along the oceans the other slave races of the Mandricks also sail for freedom. They are better shipwrights and sailors than your kind and you all, you Haens, are left with heavy rafts and barges mostly. Your people are a people of the Earth and divided into clansmen of the beast totems and townfolk Haens.

There is debate. The people are divided. A massive island has been found and settled now for all of six years. The land there is taken and not many were accommodated. Your rafts and barges are moving on. This land, this island is called Westvall and many of the wealthy and powerful Haens have settled here. You worry what that means. But your own elders assure you that more lands lie northward. Away you go.

Many months pass aboard ships. Many Haens starve and fall to piracy from others travelling the seas, your brothers, the Skaens now becoming infamous as pirates. You have good relations with your slant-eyed fellow slaves, the Dra-aen, and they sometimes help you defend your lesser vessels.

There is a mighty mystical storm one day and it lasts an entire week. The fleet is split and sundered. Your small group survives by the sacrifice of a great beastclan shaman who becomes one with the spirits of the sea and passes into the spirit world as a consequence, leaving the Coinin Saille clan bereft of its great leader. You are then attacked! Dozens of small vessels come from some new shore and they are filled with dog men of all shapes and sizes. The one great ship in your group is sunk by burning and the priestess of Devra Delaine is slain with her Knellish protectors. Your group is mostly leaderless excepting only Ghiotan Feola, a lowborn ruffian, who rules by violence and graft. Many of the remaining people despise him.

The flotilla makes for the shore, undoubtedly from whence the dog men came, expecting a fight. They find a great river mouth with dog men settlements everywhere. The spirits guide the people upriver. Many are lost in the passing of the mouth.

The north shore of the river is magical. The land there is covered in unnatural snows. Your remaining shaman and druids are confused at the sheer size of the area. Miles of riverbank go by and the spirits on the northern side are odd and silent. The river spirits say only, do not go there, it is cold.

Again the group comes to a massive island, this time in the river. The few dog men there flee when the whole of your group arrives. The island is big enough to build a town and your guiding spirits claim this is the place. The northern shore remains a snow clad wasteland but it is several leagues distance across a massive fjord teeming with eels, mussels, game, and fish. The island has two small hill chains and a pair of great peaks. So it is that the new town is named Great Peaks.

Within a few days dog men attacks begin from the southern shore. Wanderers and gatherers on the island meet new horrors and rumors of a tribe of men persist, skinny, pale men that flee at the first sign of a Haen. The caves under the great peaks are clearly vast and run deep, under the river but they are filled with ruins of some inhuman peoples that are trapped and lined with magic.

Before long the beastclan Haens set off and build two great camps, one for the Coinin Sialle nearby to the south amid the marshes and another for the Mac tire Dubh, across the Rockwall between the Great Peaks, and into the deep Forest of Sweet.

Everything is new and the spirits and inhabitants of this new shore and mostly disturbed by the Haens' arrival. What will you do? What will you become?

IGNORE all the campaign stuff that comes after this new shore section. All players will be Haens only. One player might convince me to play something else but that would come from the story above only and probably requires back knowledge of my world.

Game Description:

This Hybrid Roll20 game was given permission to me by Rodrigo and that is still active.

MeThe Chronicles of Daeron (COD) Introduction:

Greetings potential players! Daeron is the name I have given the Earth of my imagination. I have run this setting for my local gaming group for many years now and I have decided for many reasons to expose the setting to a larger audience.

Just so you’ll know, I have played D&D since before it had that name and in every incarnation since then. We will use the 4th edition rules as a guiding framework. I have a campaign goals/guidelines thread and an EXTENSIVE house rules thread within the game forum which I am sure is incomplete and will grow so please bear with me. You should absolutely read these threads before you try to create a character.

My gaming philosophy is probably “open” if such a term can be applied. I enjoy D&D (or any RPG) as a narrative art form rather than as a rules set per se. The rules are viewed by me as guidelines or a framework rather than absolutes. The spirit of the law always trumps the letter of the law.

Races
The Campaign will start within a human country that has a culture very similar to Medieval France. The names of people and places will have a familiar French sound to them at least in my estimation. The nation itself is named, Ethon. I will discuss the playable races here briefly.

At least 5 other types of human cultures interact with the Ethoni all the time. The Ethoni are now mixed in with their emancipators, the Haenish culture from the South, which corresponds roughly to Germanic European with a great many departures.

The Targ culture to the West is the progenitor culture for the Ethoni, and has its closest analog in the Greek culture of Europe. The Targs have recently undergone a burst of monotheism and that religion has spread to Ethon.

The Omp or gypsy culture is closely related to the Targs from which they came. They are nomadic as might be expected and mix freely with both Targs and Ethoni as well as other cultures across the continent.

The Crizolian empire is a decadent sorcerous magocracy from across the sea to the North. They have mostly fled Ethon and Targon after close to 150 years of occupation. The Haens are seen as barbaric and warlike by most cultures. The Crizolians correspond best to the Selucids or the Persians but you’d have to make those folks demon summoners …

The four per-book races:
Dwarves and Halflings are mixed in with the Ethoni and the Targs and have been for many centuries.

It is exceedingly rare but possible to run across a half-breed of fey or naugrim (orc) stock. Humanity has had nothing but war from the fey of any court and the naugrim fight everyone. As such either of these races, while playable, must endeavor at all times to hide their bloodlines. The skill Bluff would be almost mandatory. I do not recommend you play these races unless you strongly desire the challenge this will impose upon you. Be mindful that this will also impose a challenge on your group.

Blurb
Its been 4 years since the war of faiths. The “Bright North” of Ethon has weathered worse conflict but none so stirring to the hearts of each combatant. The “Dark South” has been put off martially and the people of the North, including your thriving port city of Embourg are now free to worship the one god if they wish. The simple piety of a common man is now a revered and sacred symbol alongside the many old icons of the Grand Dance.

Duke Renogam Axphaster III, the oft-named King of the North, a wiley man of distinction from his famed days of the emancipation, has just done the unthinkable. With Jean Clement, one of the “Enlightened 5” living in his city and nigh on the heels of the great success of the war of faiths, Renogam has issued the Proclamation of Open Faith. The people of the duchy are free to proclaim themselves a member of the faith of the one god, to worship the deities of the Grand Dance in fine Ethoni tradition, or even to follow the Haens in their worship of hero gods.

The city of Embourg, once only a glorified fishing village on the NorthWest shores of the Broken Sea, now almost thirty years after the rebellion from Crizolian imperial oppression, is at last beginning to stretch its legs. Mercantile efforts are everywhere and while imperial raids continue they are mostly small in scale. Even the tide of pro-emancipation armies to aid the Targs to the north and west has lessened, with the Crizolian city-state of Avatya in flames and all but secured in Targ hands.

Travelers of all kinds traffic the roads and, rather than fear, a new hope is seen. The port of Embourg has been mostly rebuilt though few ships yet grace its cleats. The Haenish sheriffs, the low elite, have brought much order to the rural areas and are accepted in the nations of the rebellion as sheriffs throughout Amdar. Yet and still, barbarian raids, at an all time low during the Crizolian occupation, are on the rise once again. Pockets of Crizolians still exist in now unsupported forts and encampments across the countryside turned to banditry and with unknown aspirations. Enterprising young men are making a name for themselves reclaiming and rebuilding old Ethon.

With Crizolian “leftovers”, Haenish and Targ “allies”, Omp gypsies, and a smattering of other races all present, the Bright North of Ethon faces the rise of a new mixed culture. Tensions are high but tempered by growth and the hopeful spirit of the age. What each person will make of it has yet to be seen …

Last edited by series0; Sep 26 '17 at 2:26am..
So, the Haens were a long standing enslaved race of humans that eventually earned their freedom through a long war. Reading the material in the forum on the Haens it appears that "arcane" arts, and any matching classes, simply would not exist. That being said there is SOOOO much material in there that I may be mistaken and have missed something, lol. However, the beastclans or earth Haen vs. the civil / ordered ones include shamanistic types. Oddly they sort of make me think more of the irish / scottish than the french. *shrug*

Are you actually looking for 6 players, as the ad states? And, how much of the forum is in use / play for this series0? You've obviously put a ton of work into this, lol. What are you looking for and what are our source limits, if any, etc.?

We have no game at the moment. I must now collect 4-6 players. So the day of the week would be decided by the players that are chosen. As to the time, it would be a 3-4 hours period anywhere between 5:30pm - 11:30pm CST (my time zone) on the chosen evening. Roll20 as mentioned.

The Haens indeed, as a people, decry the use of arcane arts. They were enslaved by a demon summoning blooded magocracy, after all. But, the Haens have a small percentage of practicing arcanists and these are often allowed some legitimacy via guild membership and thus social accountability and regulation. Casting arcane magic in public is usually illegal in Haenish society.

The Haenish beastclans are all primally sourced, or mostly so. There is some arcane overlap due to warlocks mostly (synchronous or blooded magic). So both subgroups of Haens have very few arcanists.

The Haens are Germanic, not French in name and cultural style. It is the Ethoni that are French. Yes, the Scots as often depicted are similar to the Haens as well. The Irish would be another story for many reasons, mostly charisma and talkativeness, not Haenish strengths.

Yes, apologies. I am a next level GM which is frustrating to many people who are not looking for that. I think seriousness and mundaneity are fun.

Yes, 6 players.

Race: All characters are human - Haenish. That means their +2 is committed to either con or wis.

Although I have severe source limits, PHB1, 2, and 3 mostly with only monk and hybrid from 3, never essentials or dragon mag, some heros of the ... stuff, and some power books. In each case its best to ask. All divine classes almost are re-done to some extent to fit my gods. Generic books powers are usually tweaked for that. Likewise many warlock pacts are my own, and most book ones are either unavailable or modified. Character creation is a back and forth process.

I can/do use the forums here on MW for downtime and stuff. To real pbp players that should be no trouble. I had tons of trouble getting the live Roll20 players to do it.

I know, a ton of house rules. And the ones on healing and movement deserve special mention as if you do not commit to them, they will drive you insane.

It should be noted in fairness more directly than just hidden amid my 4000 pages of rules, that perception is reasonably important.

Although my last group had no characters with a high perception they all had issue with that lack. At least 1 character, often a nature type or a rogue, needs a reasonable perception.

I do not do passive anything. The player has to ask for a perception or insight or knowledge check. In general these are free actions, but, looking around is a minor action for perception. Your call, verbal request, is equivalent to you perking up and paying attention. You can do that once per round. Insight and knowledge have a DC-mitigated wait time on the results actually showing up in your conscious mind for your use, reflecting ... you thinking about it. The same is true for research, the roll determines the time factor.

I would apply but the house rules are giving me a headache. I honestly normally love attention to details like that and houserules, and I myself am guilty of using too many but that... that is just unfair. ._.

If I get through it all I might give it a whurl. xP

I tried to compile a players handbook of my world a while back, but frankly, my rule design is far better than my administrative diligence.

The best way to deal with my house rules in brief is to:

1) Read movement changes
2) Read healing changes
3) Read action changes

4) If you are still sane, ... deliver a concept that fits in a Haenish evacuation.

5) Then we will go back and forth about the details until the background is ready (we do that together because I know my world better than you do - so - I make it fit)

PS - Divine is totally different than book because the gods have ONLY powers that make sense for them. Most magic in my world is decidedly limited in scope unless it is asynchronous (purely learned like a wizard or ritualist).

All humans have that third at-will, not the other thing.