Fate: Avenging Justice, Fate-style Game with Superheroes

Old Oct 14 '17, 2:46am
Mutated Mastermind

Fate: Avenging Justice, Fate-style Game with Superheroes

Fate: Avenging Justice - Forum
Mutants and Masterminds 3e
Estimated Members Requested: 6

We now call the heroes of yesterday from the Rock of Eternity. For the Infinity Crisis is upon us!

Every generation an ancient item of unlimited power surfaces: the Infinity Gauntlet. An artifact with perfect control of the aspects of Power, Time, Mind, Soul, Space, and Reality. A short window exists where the Gauntlet can be obtained and used by one deemed worthy. This time is known as the Infinity Crisis. To determine worth, a battle is fought between mages and the Heroic Spirits of the ancient past. The winner of the Infinity Crisis will hold unlimited power in their hand and use it to secure their deepest desires.

This game is a Fate series inspired game. The game is only inspired by Fate, so I'm not following a ton of the same rules. One of the main differences is that this will be set in the United States and it will be using superheroes (Marvel, DC, or others) as Servants/Heroic Spirits as well as introducing other elements that are similar to what's seen in Fate, but have a comic book spin on it.

If you're interested in this game, please pop over and read through Character Creation where it notes all the details involved with Character Creation. I will note that creating a character for this game, especially a Servant, is rather daunting. There are a lot of differing rules, alternating power level and there must be a significant amount of back and forth between player and GM to make them work. I'm not trying to say this game isn't newbie friendly, but it could be frustrating if this is your first foray into Mutants and Masterminds. That being said, I'm mostly going to be looking for a mechanical shell, we can work out all the more nuanced details once character selections have been made.

Now, after you've looked over that if you're still interested, please create a thread for your character in the Characters threadgroup, preferably with your character name as the thread title. You are welcome to create both a Servant and a Master, though only one character per player will be chosen. Further, if you choose to make a Servant, they DO NOT have to be an existing character from Marvel or DC, you are free to make an original character, though having connections to such characters are encouraged if you take this route. That being said, I don't want this TOO open ended, so I would like to stick to the two comic book worlds, so will not be allowing anything that strays too far outside of the American comic book industry. They also do not have to be heroes, villains can also find their way summoned into the Infinity Crisis.

The most important part of your character creation process is to give me a feel for how the character will play, that does not mean mechanically as mentioned above just a shell is needed. I'm looking for personality, motivations, and interesting twists on characters. If you are making a servant off of an established superhero, a lot of your background work will be done, but you should still be able to flesh some things out in regards to the character coming in as a Heroic Spirit and possible changes where their known story is wrong.

I will be taking a total of 6 players: 3 Masters, 3 Servants. You are welcome to submit an application for both a Servant and a Master (only one each though), but I'll only be taking one or the other so make sure you're okay with both.

Feel free to look through the rest of the forum to see what's there so far. I'm working a bit more on setting, but I would like some player input to make it "ours" rather than "mine."

Game Master's Expectations

Posting rate: I like to say "1/day as needed". This means that if the game is flowing normally you should be posting at least once a day (weekends and holidays excluded). If I don't hear from you, I will be bumping you after about 24 hours (again weekends/holidays excluded). This game is just going to be one player + one game master. That means if one of us is not posting, the game stalls. The more often we post, the faster the game moves. You won't be able to rely on other players to move the game forward, the pace that this game will be run is completely in your hands (well mine too a bit).

Communication: This is very important to me. Please be mindful and let me know your schedule if something comes up that causes you to be unable to post. I know the unexpected can happen, but in a world where everyone has the internet in their pocket, there's no real reason you can't jump onto the OOC board and simply say that something has come up and you'll be unable to post for a while. I am putting my time out there to create and run this game so please put your time out there to play it and don't treat this game just as something to do when you're bored online.

Act your Age: I don't know the age of everyone that's going to be joining this game, but I do expect a certain amount of maturity at the table. Be civil, be nice, no name calling, if you have a problem with someone (especially me) message me privately rather than causing a scene in the OOC board, all that good stuff that good Myth-weavers should be doing.

Other Considerations

House Rules: Please check the Rules threadgroup. This has a few different rule changes and clarifications that I'm using to help with the gameflow and the way I prefer to run Mutants and Masterminds. Please ask any questions or make any suggestions!

Deadline: I'll be accepting applications for roughly one week from the date/time of this Game Ad.

Please ask any questions you might have!

Game Description:

We now call the heroes of yesterday from the Rock of Eternity. For the Infinity Crisis is upon us!

Every generation an ancient item of unlimited power surfaces: the Infinity Gauntlet. An artifact with perfect control of the aspects of Power, Time, Mind, Soul, Space, and Reality. A short window exists where the Gauntlet can be obtained and used by one deemed worthy. This time is known as the Infinity Crisis. To determine worth, a battle is fought between mages and the Heroic Spirits of the ancient past. The winner of the Infinity Crisis will hold unlimited power in their hand and use it to secure their deepest desires.

I'm intrigued, but I'm not familiar with Fate... So will there be a story - something happening that isn't combat, or is this a slugfest? Are servants just puppets with no use outside of combat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephirothsword117 View Post
One last question then. When does this stop recruiting?
From the game adDeadline: I'll be accepting applications for roughly one week from the date/time of this Game Ad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPhoenix View Post
I'm intrigued, but I'm not familiar with Fate... So will there be a story - something happening that isn't combat, or is this a slugfest? Are servants just puppets with no use outside of combat?
Depends on you're definition of story and what you're looking for. There's not like a big overarching villain with a some plot to conquer the world that the heroes need to stop. It's not like that, but it's also not just a tournament where we're going to roll dice until one person is standing. There should definitely be some high level roleplaying between masters and servants with their motivations and personality clashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleCuttlefish View Post
Wait, are the players fighting each other in this? I assumed they were teaming up to fight NPC Masters and Servants.
No PvP, at least not forced. It will be similar to Fate: Apocrypha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchslasher View Post
No PvP, at least not forced. It will be similar to Fate: Apocrypha.
OK, well, that tells me nothing since, as I said earlier in the thread, I've never even heard of this series until now.

I think my lack of source knowledge is going to hurt me too much, so I'll sit this one out. Have fun, everyone.

Well time to get making a master.... just posting interest.

Anyone know what a good Noble Phantasm for John Constantine would be? That's the thing I'm having the most trouble with for this character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmons View Post
Anyone know what a good Noble Phantasm for John Constantine would be? That's the thing I'm having the most trouble with for this character
There's probably lots of choices that you may have to go outside of his core power set to do. One of his complications listed in the DC Adventures Heroes and Villains entry is about how "Constantine is haunted by the silent shades of his former companions and friends, who reproach him for his mistakes and add to his melancholy". It could be something to do with that, perhaps these spirits rise and enact some incredibly powerful attack or defense. It could be something to do with the two demons "own" his soul that show up to stop someone else from taking that spirit. Maybe the demon blood in his system takes full effect and he turns into some kind of uber rage demon.

Ultimately, Noble Phantasms should be powerful and flashy effects. Something when you see it happen "on screen" you say Damn!

Thanks to all that applied. Unfortunately I didn't quite get the response I was hoping for, so I'm going to let this one go and explore other ideas as well as what may have been the turn off to this particular game. I'm not totally throwing out the idea, it just may need some changes to what I did with the mechanics, setting, or recruitment strategy.

Thanks again all!