4e: The Lord of Greed - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

4e: The Lord of Greed

4e: The Lord of Greed

Here is the Lord of Greed, a modified ancient red dragon. I altered two of his powers to make them unique. Are the new abilities balanced?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greed.jpg (195.3 KB, 0 views)

Text of Avaricious Presence is a bit odd. I think this is closer to your intent:

Close burst 10; targets all enemies in burst; +35 vs Will; the target drops the highest level magic item in its possession and is dazed until the end of the Lord of Greed's next turn. Allies of the Lord of Greed in the burst may make an immediate saving throw. Aftereffect: The target is unable to recover the item it dropped (save ends).

The original text was worded in such a way that only 1 enemy in the burst was targeted, and the allies of the target - not allies of the Lord of Greed - would make a saving throw.

One more minor issue: Time. I'll need to check, but I thought armor takes more than a single Standard Action to remove. This could be problematic if the highest level magic item possessed by the target is armor.

DrMorganes, good comments. I think you're right. I also think that maybe not being able to pick up the item might not be an affereffect, but maybe should just be part of the effect itself. Something like:

Close burst 10; targets all enemies in burst; +35 vs Will; the target drops the highest level magic item in its possession and is dazed until the end of the Lord of Greed's next turn. The target is unable to recover the item it dropped (save ends). Allies of the Lord of Greed in the burst may make an immediate saving throw.

Because don't aftereffects take effect even if the attack misses? I might be wrong on this.

I also had similar thoughts with armor and so forth. My intent is that it just be something that they can drop or take off before their turn comes back up. That would apply to most things except armor I believe. Any suggestions on how to alter the wording to that effect?

I like your adjusted wording.

I think attack effects boil down this way:

Hit: Something happens if and only if the attack hits.
Miss: Something happens if and only if the attack misses - usually a lesser version of the "Hit" effect.
Effect: Happens hit or miss. Can be unrelated to primary effect.
After effect: Triggers after the primary effect ends, generally due to a successful saving throw.

As for the armor issue, remember that in 4E the rules read, "X happens like this, unless a power tells you it doesn't". For the sake of simplicity, we can simply say that those effected by Avaricious Presence are so awed by the Lord of Greed that they simply can't wait to pay tribute. Dropping the item - regardless of type - is therefore a free action. Picking it back up, on the other hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMorganes View Post
I like your adjusted wording.

I think attack effects boil down this way:

Hit: Something happens if and only if the attack hits.
Miss: Something happens if and only if the attack misses - usually a lesser version of the "Hit" effect.
Effect: Happens hit or miss. Can be unrelated to primary effect.
After effect: Triggers after the primary effect ends, generally due to a successful saving throw.
Ah, so I was thinking of effect. So can after effect be an effect that happens after the primary effect, or is it tied to the "effect" effect?

As for the armor issue, remember that in 4E the rules read, "X happens like this, unless a power tells you it doesn't". For the sake of simplicity, we can simply say that those effected by Avaricious Presence are so awed by the Lord of Greed that they simply can't wait to pay tribute. Dropping the item - regardless of type - is therefore a free action. Picking it back up, on the other hand... [/QUOTE]

Maybe

"Close burst 10; targets all enemies in burst; +35 vs Will; the target drops the highest level magic item in its possession that he can remove with a Minor action as a Free action and is dazed until the end of the Lord of Greed's next turn. The target is unable to recover the item it dropped (save ends). Allies of the Lord of Greed in the burst may make an immediate saving throw against one effect a save can end."

Wording can be improved, but it has to be specific so it doesn't cause confusion. Also in the future can you attach the image to the post to save a click?

Aftereffect is tied to a save ends, and you can have a save ends in the effect making the aftereffect also happen regardless of hit or miss.

Ok here is my take.

Switch attack of greed and avarice presence. So you now have an aura of greed that makes them fawn over their stuff, and an Attack of Avarice - Commanding Voice type of ability - "Give to me what is MINE Paladin! Place my sword that you hold at my feet knowing I will care for it through the ages. Your bones will pay silent witness to my aggrandizement. - or something like that.

So an aura of fawning greed and the command to hand over what is mine

Guys, I greatly appreciate your willingness to help. I hope to see you around these parts often.

My conception of the LOG is definitely getting better. I like the suggestions. So I take it you guys think the two powers are balanced?

Blackrazor, I am not entirely sure what you're suggesting. Could you write-up your version of the powers?

I think he's suggesting Attack of Greed be replaced with an aura effect.

Given that the LoG already has an aura effect (Inferno: Aura 5, 20 fire damage to all entering or starting their turn in the AoE), I think this is a bit much. Attack of Greed is a recharge attack, so he'll use it more than once in any given encounter. Avaricious Presence is SERIOUSLY hampering. Loss of your highest-level magic item, even for a few rounds til a save is made, is a serious thing.

Also, on that note, I found the reference to donning armor (quite by accident).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH1, p212
Putting on a suit of armor always takes at least 5
minutes, which means that it’s an activity you can
undertake only outside combat (likely while you’re
taking a short rest).
No reference is made to how long it takes to remove, so I think we're good keeping it as a free action as part of the Avaricious Presence attack. Dropping your armor is gonna HURT ...