Counterspelling. - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Counterspelling.

There was a ring of greater counterspelling in the AoEG, for about 16000 gp.

And yeah, reactive counterspell is the way to go.
It's quite an expensive feat to have tough, with the many prerrequisites.

I actually prefer the Ring of Spellbattle (CA 144). Expensive, but it helps greatly.

The problem with Improved Counterspell, is that while you can counter spells from the same school, they have to be a level lower. I only know this cause i once played a counterspell sorcerer (without having realized the rule had the level clause) and loved it. My job was just to protect the party from magic, I sat in the back and just watched for spells, if any came, i countered them. I decided to do it again, got the feat, and read the description...it made me sad because it almost negates the usefulness.

...really? Considering you have MORE lower-level spells than higher-level spells, it would only make a minor dent in the usefulness. Fireball? Burning Hands
cloudkill? Magic Missile

and so forth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD
Improved Counterspell [General]

Benefit

When counterspelling, you may use a spell of the same school that is one or more spell levels higher than the target spell.

Normal

Without this feat, you may counter a spell only with the same spell or with a spell specifically designated as countering the target spell.
There seems to be a bit of confusion here.

Re: Counterspelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit5
Improved Counterspell: lets your counterspell using the same school of magic

Reactive Counterspell: lets you counterspell without readying an action
What book(s) are these from (and please don't just point me to the SRD, I want to know the source in case I can't get to the SRD)?