GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Ask a Question Get an Answer!

Golems are normally Mindless (they do what their creators tell them, to the letter, and nothing else - the outside limits of their abilities probably being open-ended instructions like "if you are attacked, defend yourself" or "don't allow anyone other than myself or those accompanying me to enter this room"). If you're playing a golem, presumably this golem is NOT Mindless. Figure out why&how that came to be, as well as what the golem's existence was before that point (probably shaped mostly by the nature of their creator). Those should inform your golem's current/future behavioural patterns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDefender18 View Post
Quick FATE question (which has probably already been asked and answered):
How do I determine sessions with pbp?
For session-based games (Fate, 7th Sea, etc.) I usually divide the story up by chapter/thread or the purposes of granting rewards. If you need to subdivide further, consider how much game time might have elapsed in a RL session and set markers there.

Does FATE specify an expected average number of scenes/encounters/whatever per session? If so, you could use that to approximate session divides.

@Tedronai: I don't think so. I read through the whole section on the srd titles "scenes, sessions, scenarios", and it didn't really have anything about sessions. I think I'll follow Mordae's call though, that seems like a good idea.
--------------------
I have another FATE question: how do I deal with regeneration in combat? Having only played FATE once before, I don't know how strong regen could be, nor at what point it becomes too weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDefender18 View Post
@Tedronai: I don't think so. I read through the whole section on the srd titles "scenes, sessions, scenarios", and it didn't really have anything about sessions. I think I'll follow Mordae's call though, that seems like a good idea.
--------------------
I have another FATE question: how do I deal with regeneration in combat? Having only played FATE once before, I don't know how strong regen could be, nor at what point it becomes too weak.
If it's for an NPC, as strong as you really want. Fate can handle it. Mechanically, I'd give it the ability to recover from X amount of consequences per scene, but with a weakness that if subject to prevents the ability.

For a PC it's a bit more difficult to establish. Look at example stunts, see if there's a way they do it and go from there.

For a physical regeneration ability, I would take inspiration from the Dresden Files RPG.

The 'minimum useful' level for a PC is probably: you always automatically justify recovery, with no action needed, needing instead only to wait the requisite time.
For almost any NPC, this level of regeneration will operate on a timescale far too long to be noticeable.

For NPCs, the 'minimum useful' is probably: recover from extreme consequences as though they were merely severe (or, if the NPC doesn't have access to extreme consequences, substitute severe and moderate, respectively).

Note: utility for NPCs varies dramatically based on the role those NPCs play in the game. This 'minimum useful' assumes a long-term recurring character, whether an ally or an opponent. For more cannon-fodder-y NPCs, you may need something that takes effect within a single scene for it to have any meaning. This could be anything from a simple extra stress box backed by a bit of fluff to immediate recovery of a single mild consequence.

Well, I'm running a Fate stay /night style game (for those unfamiliar, there are basically heroes summoned from history to fight in a war, controlled by mages). One of the enemies is a vampire, so the PCs will probably fight them multiple times before truly killing them. I'm looking for an amount that shows it can get hurt, but not easily. So I would think that your suggestion about consequences makes a lot of sense.