The Start of a Glorious Day

Old Mar 17 '18, 2:49am
Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
The Start of a Glorious Day

Sands Stars and Steel - Forum
Fate/Fudge

Mad Max by way of Atomic Robo and a few helpings of mechs and muscle wizards, is now recruiting!

I am looking for somewhere in the nature of 4-5 players, but will potentially run with more/less characters depending on interest and what we get.

Applications should be posted here, and you can find the character creation methods here. As Atomic robo is not the most common of FATE games, and I'm homebrewing a few other systems into it, I'm more than willing to help people on the mechanical side of putting characters together.

I've got a couple good adventure hooks pre-made up to go, but wanted to get a proper idea of what kind of characters people want to play with to determine which one i want to use.

Any questions, feel free to leave them here!

Game Description:

Welcome to Earth. Itís been a long time since The Big Day. How long? Hell if anybody knows anymore. Ever since the first Arcstorm split the sky on The Big Day, not much stays the same. When the storm sweeps through, everything changes. Iíd say everything gets Weird, too, but thatís pretty much what passes for normal these days.

The only place that doesnít get all tumbled up and remade when the storms come through are the Spires. Some of the scholars say that big natural formations can sometimes shield you from a storm if youíre on the right side, but most folks stick to the known spires if they plan to settle down. Some of the biggest cities have figured out how to expand their protection, make something bigger.

But getting big and noticeable out here is a pretty dangerous idea. You get a nice patch of green and got soft, and you wonít last the next storm season. Out in the deserts, something makes people go sand-mad, strap whatever they can together into a big spikey armada of death and destruction, and go crash it into the first thing that canít get away from them.

Thereís plenty of adventure to be had out there in the wilds, depending on what suits you. Scholars will pay for info on pre-day info, the spire lords will happily pay out for supplies and help, and you can always just throw yourself into the dunes if youíre looking for on hell of a scrap.

I probably should have posted here first, but I am interested! Like the setting idea and the various Weird Modes available. I'll see what I can work up.

I do have one question however. What character sizes are acceptable for some of the PCs? Beastmen for example are said to be built like a bunker wall but I'm wondering how big that makes them size-wise, especially given in a setting where mechs stomp around and Spires give the idea that cities are more vertically-designed than horizontally.

I'm interested but dealing with family health issues this week. I hope to get home and hit the books tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsign View Post
I do have one question however. What character sizes are acceptable for some of the PCs? Beastmen for example are said to be built like a bunker wall but I'm wondering how big that makes them size-wise, especially given in a setting where mechs stomp around and Spires give the idea that cities are more vertically-designed than horizontally.
Beastmen tend to be, on average, 6-8 feet tall, depending on the specific one. Tend to be very heavily built, think Oleg from Saints Row 3 for some of the intended upper limits.

In terms of getting around cities, won't be that bad. Spires are more like lightning rods than actual inhabitable buildings. People tend to cluster around them and some of the ones recovering lost knowledge might build up around them, but they're not the focal point of habitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikosCarcosa View Post
I'm getting a very Heavy Metal/Metal Hurlant feel from this. Intended touch-stone?
I'll admit to not knowing about this previously; on a quick google and wikipedia run, I'd say some of it might touch on the same themes, but I'm shooting a bit more heroic/pulpy/over the top action and adventure than dark and grim.

This sounds cool. And I haven't had enough FATE lately. I've got a long vacation coming up soon so it all depends on whether I can make time before then to design and post something.

Which version of the fate rules does this game use? Like, I have some old Fate Core PDF's but is there anything else I'd need?

Also, would you be open to someone who is a complete beginner at the system with 0 games so far?