5E: Gestalt - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

5E: Gestalt

5E: Gestalt

So I've "Googled" it and put together, what I would consider, rules and limitations to allow players to gestalt in 5e. I'm in the planning stages of running a game on MW and have been kicking around the idea of a gestalt 5e game. Most of the leg work was done by one guy over on Gtip and I added a line or two based off of the feedback given in his post. Was wondering what your concerns would be in executing this task?

Was debating limiting spell progression at level 6+ to only one class, but that might be a bit much.

Here are the rules I've scrounged and glued together from the interwebs...

Hit dice: You have one hit die per level up, using whichever class has the higher hit die.

Saving throw proficiencies: Select any three saving throw proficiencies that your classes grant. If your classes both provide the same save proficiencies, then you only get those two proficiencies.

Armor & Weapon proficiencies: Use whichever class has more proficiencies.

Proficiency bonus: Your proficiency bonus is the same as a normal character of your class level

Tool proficiencies: You gain all tool proficiencies provided by both starting classes.

Spell slots: You gain the spell slots of whichever class grants the faster progression. Pact magic slots do not stack with normal slots. Mystic Arcana, while it still grants knowledge of extra spells of levels 6+, does not grant additional castings of spells level 6 or higher if the other half of your gestalt is granting you slots of that level.

Spells known: For classes such as sorcerers, bards and warlocks who do not use a spell book or have access to their entire spell list, both classes gain their normal spells known from their respective spell lists.

Prepared spells: For classes that can change their spells after each long rest, such as the cleric, druid and wizard, they memorize spells for each class individually, using their class level + the casting stat of each class.

Spells known & prepared: If combining a class with spells known and with spells prepared, determine how many spells each knows and choose them from their respective class lists separately. For classes that prepare spells that they "learn" in a spell book, such as the wizard, spells learned in this manner do not count against their spells known for other classes, and vice-versa.

Extra attack: The extra attack feature does not stack between gestalt classes.

Unarmored defense: Unarmored defense does not stack (as normal).
Gestalt Rules

IMO, Gestalt for D&D is a way to give your table a boost if you had fewer players to cover 'roles', and, in 3.5, it was important for getting to a PrC faster. For 5E, I would just follow the limits in the Multiclassing chapter for Features. Everything else, just pile it on, except proficiency bonus. Always keep that the same. Additionally, I would crank up CR in encounters but not worry so much about giving them short rests. In fact, I would eliminate short rests entirely.

EDIT: Also, because I was not clear, only use the highest HD of both classes.

EDIT EDIT: Remember you will have to deal with players mulitclassing one or both sides of the Gestalt.

That's what's not addressed. Multiclassing. Was not sure if I was going to allow it, leaning towards no...

In regards to spellcasting did you mean spell slot progression or just spell knowledge progression? I've always ran at as the same class feature, so they only have the spell slots of one class, but can cast all spells from either class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaul View Post
In regards to spellcasting did you mean spell slot progression or just spell knowledge progression? I've always ran at as the same class feature, so they only have the spell slots of one class, but can cast all spells from either class.
More along the lines of you get both, however they are not interchangeable.