npc creation - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

npc creation

npc creation

so here i go again, i have been task with making a NPC weaponsmith and i have to go into great detail on how he will work from how he makes weapons and where he will get his supplies from.

this will be a player run npc (basically he is a character i made in a campaign that is no longer needed).

I don't know where to find the info on how it will work from how do i gain XP to where do i put skill points i am guessing i will need to take item creation feats minus magic items (i've already been told i cant make them without a mage to enchant them) but after that im not sure on how it will work

What edition of what game? I'm guessing some form of D&D or Pathfinder from what you're saying, but beyond that...

Presumably he purchases his suppliers from, well, suppliers? Probably wholesalers of some kind. He makes weapons... well, it depends what kind of weapon. He'll need some kind of forge for the metal bits and it's not the simplest process in the world by all accounts, but if he's an NPC is a game, do you even care? Why do you need to describe all the heating, beating, quenching etc in full detail?

well the forge he is using is located in a exploration camp outside a dungeon so i dont think i will have access to a standard suppliers, i might be able to breakdown gear that is brought out of the dungeon but outside of that idk how to level a npc and where his points will go

Again, you need to tell us what game and edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylia Quilor View Post
Again, you need to tell us what game and edition.
3.5 sorry

Well, if he's an NPC, he's not gaining Levels, unless he's a cohort, and that's not really an NPC. He's just the level he is.

You should probably use the Expert class, and put your skill points into Craft skills - armorsmithing, blacksmithing, etc, and maybe Diplomacy or Appraise for the business side. Maybe a profession subskill too.

But here's the biggest thing - most NPCs don't need full stats. Unless the players are going to be fighting him, he doesn't really need much detail in terms of stats.

As for where he gets his materials - breaking down stuff from inside the dungeon sold to him, or maybe he has a small trading post there at the dungeon entrance and he has contacts with the nearby town, and every few weeks some wagon comes by to pick up his merchandise and give him metal.

Better question: Why is he running a forge at a dungeon? Seems a bit dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylia Quilor View Post
Well, if he's an NPC, he's not gaining Levels, unless he's a cohort, and that's not really an NPC. He's just the level he is.

You should probably use the Expert class, and put your skill points into Craft skills - armorsmithing, blacksmithing, etc, and maybe Diplomacy or Appraise for the business side. Maybe a profession subskill too.

But here's the biggest thing - most NPCs don't need full stats. Unless the players are going to be fighting him, he doesn't really need much detail in terms of stats.

As for where he gets his materials - breaking down stuff from inside the dungeon sold to him, or maybe he has a small trading post there at the dungeon entrance and he has contacts with the nearby town, and every few weeks some wagon comes by to pick up his merchandise and give him metal.

Better question: Why is he running a forge at a dungeon? Seems a bit dangerous.
the camp is it a dangerous location for sure and is frequently attacked by outside forces so there is a chance for combat for the NPC just not frequently also some members of the party are special individuals and like to do messed up things to get ahead and the forge is at a dungeon because getting supplies to the location would be difficult so the forge is there to maintain equipment and assist the dungeon divers

Making an NPC is just like making a PC, just you focus on different things.

If it is difficult to get supplies there, then there's no reason for a blacksmith to be there alone. There'd be a whole operation.