Player Driven Plots - Page 9 - Myth-Weavers

Player Driven Plots

What I’m trying to do is a new approach, at least for me. What I’m trying to do is let the player creativity with back stories dictate what plot hooks I’ll use, be it small or large, instead of coming up with a plot that I want the players to follow. I will say I’m enjoying it very much so far, even if it’s a lot of work.

I only just saw this - I'm not interested in the game, but wanted to share an experience I had in a game here years ago that was like this and so amazing that I still remember it fondly.

The DM made us write these huge backstories for our characters - 5,000+ words, IIRC, which was quite a pain! - but he used them to build the plot. He took the villains from our stories and actually created an overarching theme. And that ended up being the plot of the whole game - we went from storyline to storyline, resolving character background issues, but usually not fully (because might lead to character retirement... which did happen from time to time). So the BBEG that he deemed most powerful would show up in the fight scene with the BBEG from some other character's story, and the characters would be all like, "What?!?!"

But the truly novel idea was that he let us play as the villains in cut-scenes. At the end of chapters, we'd have a break and several of our BBEGs would do meet-ups and we'd get to roleplay as our personal villains who were getting together and plotting their overall scheme. So we not only had to defeat ourselves, but we as players had a hand in making this alliance of BBEGs believable and to make those characters real. It was an experience I'd never had before (and haven't had in the... OMG, it's been eight years since that game ended).

I can't even begin to imagine the amount of work it must have taken to write the plot like that, so I would never expect or ask a DM to do that. But it sounds like it's what you're looking for... and it can be an unforgettable experience. I wish you and the players the best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelard View Post

So the BBEG that he deemed most powerful would show up in the fight scene with the BBEG from some other character's story, and the characters would be all like, "What?!?!"

But the truly novel idea was that he let us play as the villains in cut-scenes. At the end of chapters, we'd have a break and several of our BBEGs would do meet-ups and we'd get to roleplay as our personal villains who were getting together and plotting their overall scheme. So we not only had to defeat ourselves, but we as players had a hand in making this alliance of BBEGs believable and to make those characters real. It was an experience I'd never had before (and haven't had in the... OMG, it's been eight years since that game ended).
This is an amazing idea and one that I have thought of, but not to this detail. That's pretty awesome, thanks for sharing!

Quote:
I can't even begin to imagine the amount of work it must have taken to write the plot like that, so I would never expect or ask a DM to do that. But it sounds like it's what you're looking for... and it can be an unforgettable experience. I wish you and the players the best of luck!
Believe it or not, that's actually a labour-saving GMing technique!
@TheRoot, would you mind me joining as a Reader, too? I don't mind watching other people tangling with PF.

Another thing occurred to me. About a year and a half ago I tried to get a "GM Apprentice" program going here on MW. It was an attempt to let players who had wanted to run a game at some point but had never taken the leap. It allowed them to get their feet wet without taking the huge step of GM'ing their own game. It had some success, but that's a different story. I've always enjoyed having another gm to bounce ideas back and forth.
Would anyone be interested in being a co dm to help brainstorm plot ideas and do some mechanics, make bad guys, and potentially role play some NPC's?

I've been a GM with only minor success in the past and never on a PBP, so I would definitely be interested in something like that with helping develop plot ideas/hooks and enemies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketeer View Post
I've been a GM with only minor success in the past and never on a PBP, so I would definitely be interested in something like that with helping develop plot ideas/hooks and enemies.
PM incoming

Quote:
I only just saw this - I'm not interested in the game, but wanted to share an experience I had in a game here years ago that was like this and so amazing that I still remember it fondly.

The DM made us write these huge backstories for our characters - 5,000+ words, IIRC, which was quite a pain! - but he used them to build the plot. He took the villains from our stories and actually created an overarching theme. And that ended up being the plot of the whole game - we went from storyline to storyline, resolving character background issues, but usually not fully (because might lead to character retirement... which did happen from time to time). So the BBEG that he deemed most powerful would show up in the fight scene with the BBEG from some other character's story, and the characters would be all like, "What?!?!"
Ironically I have written a 8,000 words background for my character, and the most ironic part of that is he's merely a Level 1 D&D 3.5/PF(forgot which) character. I pretty much wrote a full evil cult and how they operate in his backstory. Applied for 2 games with it, got into 1 but that game did not last long. Real life is the biggest villain and killer to PbP gaming.

I really liked that approach personally, but never have it came to fruition.

---------------------------------------------------------

Also, I don't mind helping with brainstorm plot ideas and do some mechanics, make bad guys, and potentially role play some NPC's. Sent you a PM and don't feel like sending you a second one so I said it here.

2 Co GMs have come aboard and we have a great cast of players working hard on their stories. I think for now we have a full house and it’s lots of fun so far.