Ask a Question Get an Answer! - Page 111 - Myth-Weavers

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Ask a Question Get an Answer!

Not sure if this is the place to ask this, but, regarding editing permissions within private forums and threads, is there a way for me to grant those permissions to a co-GM? For instance, I have a private game my friend and I are playing however only I can edit all forum info and posts since I was the one who created it. I'd also like him to be able to edit.

"Site Discussion" is the forum you're after.

You just need to add them as a GM.

How do you get the extra delineator on a thread line in the thread list?

(e.g. the word "info" in the "Sticky: info" just before the thread title)

Folks, if you have questions about forum mechanics and architecture, please ask in Site Discussion. This is for GM game-related questions.

casting on the defense 3.5e

phbkerr, does this even make sense, lol

Casting on the Defensive: You may attempt to cast a spell while paying attention to threats and avoiding blows. (totally understandable)

In this case, you are no more vulnerable to attack than you would be if you were just standing there, (say what...? what does this mean?)

so casting a spell while on the defensive does not provoke an attack of opportunity. (they just said casting a spell on the defense is the same as just standing their. what, lol...)

It does, however, require a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to pull off. Failure means that you lose the spell.

srd
Quote:
Casting on the Defensive
Casting a spell while on the defensive does not provoke an attack of opportunity. It does, however, require a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to pull off. Failure means that you lose the spell.
this makes sense
but if im on the defense, then I should have a -4 attack and +2 ac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami1768 View Post
phbkerr, does this even make sense, lol

Casting on the Defensive: You may attempt to cast a spell while paying attention to threats and avoiding blows. (totally understandable)

In this case, you are no more vulnerable to attack than you would be if you were just standing there, (say what...? what does this mean?)

so casting a spell while on the defensive does not provoke an attack of opportunity. (they just said casting a spell on the defense is the same as just standing their. what, lol...)

It does, however, require a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to pull off. Failure means that you lose the spell.
If you're casting a spell non-defensively, you're more vulnerable than you would be if you were just standing there and paying attention to the fight; it would be the equivalent of you standing there while looking down at your toes. Casting defensively reduces that danger, and thus puts the caster at the same defensive footing as one who was just standing there and paying attention to the fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami1768 View Post
srd
Casting on the Defensive
Casting a spell while on the defensive does not provoke an attack of opportunity. It does, however, require a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to pull off. Failure means that you lose the spell.

this makes sense
but if im on the defense, then I should have a -4 attack and +2 ac?
The defense part of this action is against opportunity attacks. It's about the caster being attentive enough that enemies don't get free swipes; it's not about the caster actively dodging swords and spears aimed at him.

D&D 3.5

Would a neutral aligned cleric that is not devoted to any particular deity qualify to cast healing spells spontaneously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
D&D 3.5

Would a neutral aligned cleric that is not devoted to any particular deity qualify to cast healing spells spontaneously?
A cleric may not be neutral unless his deityís alignment is also neutral.

So, they would actually have to be devoted to a Neutral deity in order to be neutral-aligned clerics themselves

@RedRajah, you’ve successfully avoided the question. My fault, let me re- ask: Would a Chaotic Neutral cleric that is not devoted to any particular deity qualify to cast spells spontaneously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
D&D 3.5

The cleric gets to choose whether to convert Cure spells or Inflict spells, then must stick to that choice for the rest of the character's existence. Here's the relevant text from the SRD:

Quote:
Spontaneous Casting
A good cleric (or a neutral cleric of a good deity) can channel stored spell energy into healing spells that the cleric did not prepare ahead of time. The cleric can "lose" any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any cure spell of the same spell level or lower (a cure spell is any spell with "cure" in its name).

An evil cleric (or a neutral cleric of an evil deity), canít convert prepared spells to cure spells but can convert them to inflict spells (an inflict spell is one with "inflict" in its name).

A cleric who is neither good nor evil and whose deity is neither good nor evil can convert spells to either cure spells or inflict spells (playerís choice). Once the player makes this choice, it cannot be reversed. This choice also determines whether the cleric turns or commands undead.