Notices

The RFT, still going strong!!!

Old Dec 6 '18, 12:41pm
Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
The RFT, still going strong!!!

The Realm Folded Tavern - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e

The Realm-Folded Tavern is looking for both GMs and Players.

What is the Realm-Folded Tavern? It's a community of players who run multiple adventures with many GMs, all using the same rules for character-building and advancement. Like the D&D 5e Adventurer's League, we provide the structure so that characters who finish one adventure can simply proceed with another one! How strong is it? It's been running for three and a half years now.

If you are thinking of running a D&D 3.5 game:

Consider running it at the Realm-Folded Tavern! You can decide which characters to accept in your game. You can make your own story and your own settings (the Tavern is a trans-dimensional out-of-space-and-time establishment). The only reason not to do so is if you disagree with the character creation rules we're using (see below). The more games that are running, the healthier this part of the 3.5 community will be, and the easier it will be for everyone to have fun! While the starting level for new characters is level 3, there are many well established characters all the way up to level 12 now.

If you want to play a D&D 3.5 game:

Consider creating a character using the Realm-Folded Tavern's rules! Most materials from D&D 3.5 are acceptable, and you can finally play a character who doesn't poof-vanish if a DM ghosts on you! You'll just go back into the pool of accepted PCs for the Realm-Folded Tavern (probably with some extra gold and xp), and then you can join another game.

The basic character creation rules are as follows, with more details in the forums themselves (HERE):

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGronge View Post
Basic Character Generation
  • Gestalt Characters.
  • You can only progress through one prestige class at a time, as per normal Gestalt rules.
  • Fractional BAB and saves (please review your character sheets to reflect this).
  • 32 Point Buy (all abilities must be bought at 8 or higher)
  • Up to 2 traits.
  • Up to 2 flaws (1 extra feat per each flaw).
  • Starting level 1 through 3.
  • Max Health (Hit Points) Per Level.
  • There will be no multi-class penalties to experience points.
  • Once a class skill, always a class skill.
  • Class skills for each class should be clearly noted on your character sheet.
  • Permanent Intelligence increases do retroactively improve skill points.
  • Permanent Constitution increases do retroactively improve hit points.
  • Your effective level for a class feature (
    for an animal companion
    e.g.) cannot exceed your character level, unless you have a feature that explicitly state otherwise (
    the beastmaster's bonus to effective druid level for an animal companion can explicitly boost your druid level above your character level
    e.g.). Feats that combine class features or stack levels of different classes for a given class feature cannot increase your effective level above your character level.
  • A given spellcasting progression cannot be advanced twice at the same level (
    A level of wizard||loremaster only grants +1 to wizard CL, not +2
    e.g.)

Game Description:

The Realm Folded Tavern has all your needs and wants, from good ale, to not half bad food. The tavern provides everything for you, as long as you are a part of the Boards.

The Boards are a great part of the tavern and city. Many creatures from all around the realms come to this tavern to find missions, answers, or even questions. The tavern grants anyone entrance, anything and anyone.

Also, if anyone wants to run their own Board quest go ahead and do it! This is definitely open for others to try their hands at DMing.

Last edited by SamGronge; Dec 6 '18 at 12:45pm..
You start at 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBard101 View Post
Blue Jay, what's new in the rules since I was there? I'm curious.
One of the big ones is that we're using re-evaluated Level Adjustments for monsters, based on this GitP project that's set out to reassign all monster LA's. So far, hundreds of monsters have been reassigned, and I've made Savage progressions for a lot of the monsters from MM1, so there are new options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBard101 View Post
I generally only apply to mid-level or higher games now a days. Most of them die anyway, often before we even DO anything. LOL I can't tell you how many characters were built, accepted, started, and then did nothing as the DM vanished. The RTF seems to be one of the few that haven't crashed. I might check to see if any Blue Jay games are starting soon. Can we make mid-level characters or do we need to start at 1st to be fair?
We're still starting at 3rd level. The moderators did vote awhile back to allow limited higher-level starts, but we ultimately decided against it on account of "those characters are harder to review."

@Blue Jay -- I'm pretty much in the same boat as TheBard, in terms of starting point. RFT sounds like a neat idea, and you know I'd love to game with you again, but level 3 does nothing for me. Doubly so since my experience on here is - again similar to Bard's - that if you allow yourself to start at low levels, you will never get to not be low-levels, because games on here just don't progress that far and/or don't survive that long. Please do message me if anybody is running a mid- or mid-high-level story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageBahamut View Post
@Blue Jay -- I'm pretty much in the same boat as TheBard, in terms of starting point. RFT sounds like a neat idea, and you know I'd love to game with you again, but level 3 does nothing for me. Doubly so since my experience on here is - again similar to Bard's - that if you allow yourself to start at low levels, you will never get to not be low-levels, because games on here just don't progress that far and/or don't survive that long. Please do message me if anybody is running a mid- or mid-high-level story.
Progression is pretty fast at the lower levels, but starting at 3rd is a hard and fast rule at the moment. Right now I have one 13th level character, one 6th level, a 5th level, two 4th level and two 3rd levels in the RFT, all active. All started at 3rd level, and all but the two new ones made 4th level after a single mission. Here's the thing. The only way you stay at low levels is if you either don't play, or you keep dropping characters to try something different. If you stick with just a couple characters, it doesn't take that long to reach the mid levels (5th-9th) at all. You can also artificially advance your characters in the arena to quickly reach mid levels if you absolutely can't stand playing a 3rd or 4th level character in a roleplaying situation. A third way is to DM missions for others, and award the DM reward points to your starting 3rd level character to bump him/her/it up in levels before you even take the stage in a single mission.

Being a gestalt game (with max hitpoints to boot), I personally don't mind being 3rd level at the start. Your character's actual strength is closer to 4th or 5th level from the get-go. The character sticks around even as DMs come and go, so there's no problem with the game dying off before you get anywhere.

Players with essentially zero 3.5 experience welcome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaruAmoriani View Post
Players with essentially zero 3.5 experience welcome?
Yep! It's got a bit of a learning curve (see: Gestalt), but everyone is welcome.

How to applyWhen you apply with a new character:
Create a new character sheet on the Myth-Weavers site
Create a character thread in the Pending folder (make a separate thread for each character, and link to the character sheet in the thread)
Make sure you are listed as a player on the Realm Folded Tavern game page.
There is no limit to the number of characters you may create, but be reasonable.
Where is the pending folder? How do you get listed a player?

Put your app in this folder. Then apply to join the game in the game profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithamar View Post
Put your app in this folder. Then apply to join the game in the game profile.
Thanks. That's what I thought. The wording of "How to apply" is just a bit out of date.

I may have to recreate my ridiculous owlbear/spell weaver hybrid yet again.