Ask a Question Get an Answer! - Page 110 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Ask a Question Get an Answer!

With the Suggestion spell in pathfinder, once it expires is the target aware they were 'tricked' even if they failed their will saves? Or do they assume it was of their own choice to carry out the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhugh View Post
With the Suggestion spell in pathfinder, once it expires is the target aware they were 'tricked' even if they failed their will saves? Or do they assume it was of their own choice to carry out the suggestion.
Depends; also no clear RAW answer.

It takes one standard action to cast but it's unclear if the suggested course of action is included. It also takes a snake's tongue and a honeycomb to cast. Is there a special incantation? Is the target smart and wise enough to reflect on it's own actions to come to any discernable conclusion? Would the target have the training to be aware of the materials in use? Do they have the senses required to detect the spell (or magic) when cast? (A harder one) Does passing or failing a will save impart some understanding of doing so? The answer of yes to any of these would prompt suspicion.

The webcomic "the order of the stick" seems to interpret it as an incantation (saying the spell name) then followed by the suggested course. So the target(s) would clearly remember an obvious caster saying 'suggestion' before acting differently.

Though another, insidious, interpretation is "i suggest you...." Being the casting itself. Those who don't require materials would appear to be ingaging in conversation instead. Once expired nothing in the casters actions would inspire suspicion and the suggestion must be reasonable to the target in the first place. In the end it would be the caster asking a request and the target accepting or refusing.

How about two questions..?

1. Is there a way for a GM to change the order of posts in a thread to anything other than chronological order..?

2. What can a "Reader" in my game see..? (or if the answer is shorter, what can they not see?)

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorithar View Post
How about two questions..?

1. Is there a way for a GM to change the order of posts in a thread to anything other than chronological order..?

2. What can a "Reader" in my game see..? (or if the answer is shorter, what can they not see?)

Thank you!
certainly

1. Nothing to my knowledge. Though beyond number of posts per page is incredibly lacking.

2. Can't think of anything they couldn't read. The GM screen is a big IF as i am not sure. Beyond that one item? If it's posted they can read it. You might be able to work around this by posting then deleting the post (being a GM means you have the moderator power to view deleted posts, it's a 'soft delete' you see; not really gone.) keeping some scant details private.

I have a level 17 sorceress who is experiencing repeated spell failure, I cannot work out why. She has the draconic bloodline origin and sage background, She has a magic ring of re-gen and a helm of brilliance but no other metal, it is doing my head in.
I found out that this has been happening since they defeated Straad and left his castle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladinred View Post
I have a level 17 sorceress who is experiencing repeated spell failure, I cannot work out why. She has the draconic bloodline origin and sage background, She has a magic ring of re-gen and a helm of brilliance but no other metal, it is doing my head in.
I found out that this has been happening since they defeated Straad and left his castle.
Most likely because she's no longer a sorceress. Something happened to her and you have to find out what. And that will probably be another adventure.

She can still cast spells, it is just that the DM rolls a fail chance and so tells me the spell fails. Damned frustrating it is, I swear the DM does it deliberately.

You could just ask the DM? They're the one who knows the answer.

It could quite possibly be some kind of plot-related thing. Maybe she's been cursed. Did she fail a Will save vs a Bestow Curse spell or something? But even if not, the DM can just hand-wave and make stuff up, because plot.

Obviously, you don't want to spoil the story but if there is some mechanical reason that you are supposed to be aware of and the DM is just not telling you, that's a pretty mean thing to do. Just ask - say, hey, don't tell me what it is if it's supposed to be part of he mystery, but it's really un-fun for me right now so just be straight with me. Maybe the next part of the story is your character trying to figure this out IC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladinred View Post
She can still cast spells, it is just that the DM rolls a fail chance and so tells me the spell fails. Damned frustrating it is, I swear the DM does it deliberately.
Have her contact a powerful wizard or priest to find out why she's always failing.

I rolled a 23 which did not yield much, methinks the DM is hiding something lol, thanks for your thoughts @shawnhcorey