Notices

[L5R FFG] The City of Pearls

Old Mar 15 '19, 12:38pm
Elder Dragon

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
[L5R FFG] The City of Pearls

The City of Pearls L5R FFG - Forum
Miscellaneous

The SettingOn the east coast of Rokugan, in a small expanse between Phoenix and Crane lands, which has, for an untold number of years, been largely ignored by both clans alike as a symbol of their friendship and non-aggression towards each other, stands a bustling little city named Touho ("Eastern Bay"), ruled by the Suitengu's Children ronin band. Never has Touho threatened its neighbours, nor tried to step above its station as a minor seaport, but over the last century in particular it has nevertheless become more prosperous, and recently it has been able to singlehandedly deliver greater tax tribute for the Chrysanthemum Throne than even some of the Minor Clans can hope to provide.

Now, the eyes of several factions throughout the Empire turn towards Touho, wondering how they might claim it as their own. You come from one such faction. You have been given travel papers from your lord, provisions you might require, and the use of a potentially stubborn pony for the journey (* there are exceptions, but this explained elsewhere) under direct instruction to travel to Touho, ascertain what intelligence you can that might give your faction an advantage, and begin setting about winning over the city by establishing a respectable reputation.

The PremiseThis will be a bit of a sandbox game with an overarching narrative focusing on investigation, political and social intrigue, and encounters with the mystical. I am leaving the intro hook as outlined above at present as it allows scope for people to apply with a character from any faction as they wish. If everyone is from 1-2 factions, wonderful, I can arrange for those two to aim to work together in acquiring the city. If just a single faction, even easier. Otherwise, in the more probable scenario of the party being a fruit salad of different factions, then all PCs will almost certainly be conscripted into service as yoriki for an Emerald or Jade Magistrate to encourage cooperation. No dramas on that score for me.

What is it like to play L5R?If you've never played L5R before, don't be afraid to ask questions (but DO ensure you have at least the core book! How else can you make a character?). Unlike a traditional RPG, in L5R, you tend not to acquire magical items or new treasure or mountains of gold to spend. Instead, you earn glory, achieve (hopefully) great deeds, and do your family, lord, and ancestors proud. The fact that one of the questions in the character creation section is "How should your character die?" should really be a strong clue to you that the life of a samurai is fleeting, and the game can be fairly lethal (though perhaps less so in this edition than previous ones, which were akin to Warhammer levels of deadliness). Beseeching guidance from your ancestors sometimes yields results, so taking on board the idea that your character exists in a world where the divine can influence the mortal, and vice versa, is pretty valuable.

My ExpectationsI'm looking for players who care about character development and interesting interactions over building mechanically super-powered Bushido-bots. In-character posts will be made via the Mytherweavers forum, but rolls will be made using the ffg dice bot on a dedicated Discord server, so you need to be willing to log into Discord to join the game. OOC chit-chat will most likely occur on Discord too, though setting and NPC info will be posted on the MW game forum for clarity and convenience. Although I am about to spend much of the next week (18th-22nd by way of the Australian calendar) on a school camp allegedly without internet (#teacherlife), once I return I hope to begin narrowing down on party selection. Deadline for character application will be the 7th of April (arbitrarily chosen as it's my birthday~), and I can happily handle a party of 3-5, though might be able to open to more later on, as I've GMed for 10 in a game before. By applying for this game, I'm operating under the assumption that you are willing and eager to post 2-3 times per week. This might potentially feel slow to you, but I need a slower game given my current life commitments. As for character creation, basically anything is fair game (including a different school from your clan), BUT I would like nobody to be playing a member of the Imperial Families, and honestly, there's not much scope for a Kolat to join the game.

What you can expect from me
  • I will NOT drop this game and let it die. I'm too used to being a martyr to allow that to occur. Once the game starts, we are gonna go until you don't want to participate anymore! Truly, games I run typically don't have a set "end", so it can go on for...well...eternity, should everyone wish it.
  • Sure, your character may have personal goals to achieve, but this is not an inherently PVP game I intend to run. I look at quality roleplaying games as being cooperative storytelling, and the most joyous memories are of players interacting positively and cooperatively. By all means be rivals or disagree, but I'm not okay with my games getting corrupted by insults IC/OOC or bogged down in a PVP duel. No thanks.
  • Whilst combat is inevitable, my style is very much about providing character interactions which probe the strength of characters' ethical fibre (i.e. doing A might lead to an advantage, but at the cost of B for someone else...Oh no!), and there tends to be more social interaction and also heavy supernatural elements. By the latter, I mean, servants of Fortunes (and even Fortunes themselves, in disguise or otherwise) have been known to visit or directly interact with PCs in my past games. I'm a sucker for this setting not simply because, "Cool, samurai!" but because the spiritual belief and cosmology in this setting is real for those within the setting.
  • I hold fast to homebrew aspects of this setting which have grown naturally in the 10+ years I've played (but mostly GMed) it. Nothing super major, and won't really have much impact unless things come up, but it's more about flavour (such as important animal spirits from the Realm of Animals typically being a blend of two different creatures, or new Fortunes, or that fashion in the Phoenix Clan often borrows from the Joseon Dynasty of Korea).
  • I am a gaymer, and representation matters to me. Every character I play is either gay or bi, and as a GM, my NPCs are more diverse than stock standard heteronormativity projects. I support FFG's update of the world of Rokugan to include same sex marriages (ESPECIALLY for political purposes!), and mechanically, you will find that having an advantage or disadvantage relating to love/attraction will have an impact on people who aren't solely of the opposite sex. Yes, you might receive advances from someone of your character's own gender (not that you have to accept romantic overtures from anyone, of course). If any of this dot point makes you feel uncomfortable, please do not apply to this game.
  • There will be some encounters (usually ones you only make for yourself by digging your own hole...) which your character will not emerge from unscarred or, perhaps, even without their life. There are usually implied signals about this, or you can also ask, too, but really, think realistically: if you are playing a Rank 1 character and you've split off from the party, is it reasonable to assume you can kill an experienced Clan Magistrate or infamous duelist? (Hint: Nope.)
  • I live in Australia, so I won't typically be available to post or answer queries during daylight hours for some of you. Yeah, sozz, but a little anticipation can be good, yeah?
  • I post whenever I can, between work, marking, exercise, dating, sleeping, and posting in games I am a player in. This means that some weeks (or hell, maybe even from the very start, depending) the posting pace on my end at least will be higher than the 2-3 posts per week mentioned above. Yay!
  • The occasional use of Japanese vocab or phrases, usually with an explanation, but sometimes I'll forget, so apologies in advance, and just ask me to clarify!

If you have a question, I would prefer it if you posted it in the game's Shrine to Fukurokujin (Questions) thread instead of here, please.

Game Description:

The SettingOn the east coast of Rokugan, in a small expanse between Phoenix and Crane lands, which has, for an untold number of years, been largely ignored by both clans alike as a symbol of their friendship and non-aggression towards each other, stands a bustling little city named Touho ("Eastern Bay"), ruled by the Suitengu's Children ronin band. Never has Touho threatened its neighbours, nor tried to step above its station as a minor seaport, but over the last century in particular it has nevertheless become more prosperous, and recently it has been able to singlehandedly deliver greater tax tribute for the Chrysanthemum Throne than even some of the Minor Clans can hope to provide.

Now, the eyes of several factions throughout the Empire turn towards Touho, wondering how they might claim it as their own. You come from one such faction. You have been given travel papers from your lord, provisions you might require, and the use of a potentially stubborn pony for the journey (* there are exceptions, but this explained elsewhere) under direct instruction to travel to Touho, ascertain what intelligence you can that might give your faction an advantage, and begin setting about winning over the city by establishing a respectable reputation.

The PremiseThis will be a bit of a sandbox game with an overarching narrative focusing on investigation, political and social intrigue, and encounters with the mystical. I am leaving the intro hook as outlined above at present as it allows scope for people to apply with a character from any faction as they wish. If everyone is from 1-2 factions, wonderful, I can arrange for those two to aim to work together in acquiring the city. If just a single faction, even easier. Otherwise, in the more probable scenario of the party being a fruit salad of different factions, then all PCs will almost certainly be conscripted into service as yoriki for an Emerald or Jade Magistrate to encourage cooperation. No dramas on that score for me.

What is it like to play L5R?If you've never played L5R before, don't be afraid to ask questions (but DO ensure you have at least the core book! How else can you make a character?). Unlike a traditional RPG, in L5R, you tend not to acquire magical items or new treasure or mountains of gold to spend. Instead, you earn glory, achieve (hopefully) great deeds, and do your family, lord, and ancestors proud. The fact that one of the questions in the character creation section is "How should your character die?" should really be a strong clue to you that the life of a samurai is fleeting, and the game can be fairly lethal (though perhaps less so in this edition than previous ones, which were akin to Warhammer levels of deadliness). Beseeching guidance from your ancestors sometimes yields results, so taking on board the idea that your character exists in a world where the divine can influence the mortal, and vice versa, is pretty valuable.

My ExpectationsI'm looking for players who care about character development and interesting interactions over building mechanically super-powered Bushido-bots. In-character posts will be made via the Mytherweavers forum, but rolls will be made using the ffg dice bot on a dedicated Discord server, so you need to be willing to log into Discord to join the game. OOC chit-chat will most likely occur on Discord too, though setting and NPC info will be posted on the MW game forum for clarity and convenience. Although I am about to spend much of the next week (18th-22nd by way of the Australian calendar) on a school camp allegedly without internet (#teacherlife), once I return I hope to begin narrowing down on party selection. Deadline for character application will be the 7th of April (arbitrarily chosen as it's my birthday~), and I can happily handle a party of 3-5, though might be able to open to more later on, as I've GMed for 10 in a game before. By applying for this game, I'm operating under the assumption that you are willing and eager to post 2-3 times per week. This might potentially feel slow to you, but I need a slower game given my current life commitments. As for character creation, basically anything is fair game (including a different school from your clan), BUT I would like nobody to be playing a member of the Imperial Families, and honestly, there's not much scope for a Kolat to join the game.

What you can expect from me
  • I will NOT drop this game and let it die. I'm too used to being a martyr to allow that to occur. Once the game starts, we are gonna go until you don't want to participate anymore! Truly, games I run typically don't have a set "end", so it can go on for...well...eternity, should everyone wish it.
  • Sure, your character may have personal goals to achieve, but this is not an inherently PVP game I intend to run. I look at quality roleplaying games as being cooperative storytelling, and the most joyous memories are of players interacting positively and cooperatively. By all means be rivals or disagree, but I'm not okay with my games getting corrupted by insults IC/OOC or bogged down in a PVP duel. No thanks.
  • Whilst combat is inevitable, my style is very much about providing character interactions which probe the strength of characters' ethical fibre (i.e. doing A might lead to an advantage, but at the cost of B for someone else...Oh no!), and there tends to be more social interaction and also heavy supernatural elements. By the latter, I mean, servants of Fortunes (and even Fortunes themselves, in disguise or otherwise) have been known to visit or directly interact with PCs in my past games. I'm a sucker for this setting not simply because, "Cool, samurai!" but because the spiritual belief and cosmology in this setting is real for those within the setting.
  • I hold fast to homebrew aspects of this setting which have grown naturally in the 10+ years I've played (but mostly GMed) it. Nothing super major, and won't really have much impact unless things come up, but it's more about flavour (such as important animal spirits from the Realm of Animals typically being a blend of two different creatures, or new Fortunes, or that fashion in the Phoenix Clan often borrows from the Joseon Dynasty of Korea).
  • I am a gaymer, and representation matters to me. Every character I play is either gay or bi, and as a GM, my NPCs are more diverse than stock standard heteronormativity projects. I support FFG's update of the world of Rokugan to include same sex marriages (ESPECIALLY for political purposes!), and mechanically, you will find that having an advantage or disadvantage relating to love/attraction will have an impact on people who aren't solely of the opposite sex. Yes, you might receive advances from someone of your character's own gender (not that you have to accept romantic overtures from anyone, of course). If any of this dot point makes you feel uncomfortable, please do not apply to this game.
  • There will be some encounters (usually ones you only make for yourself by digging your own hole...) which your character will not emerge from unscarred or, perhaps, even without their life. There are usually implied signals about this, or you can also ask, too, but really, think realistically: if you are playing a Rank 1 character and you've split off from the party, is it reasonable to assume you can kill an experienced Clan Magistrate or infamous duelist? (Hint: Nope.)
  • I live in Australia, so I won't typically be available to post or answer queries during daylight hours for some of you. Yeah, sozz, but a little anticipation can be good, yeah?
  • I post whenever I can, between work, marking, exercise, dating, sleeping, and posting in games I am a player in. This means that some weeks (or hell, maybe even from the very start, depending) the posting pace on my end at least will be higher than the 2-3 posts per week mentioned above. Yay!
  • The occasional use of Japanese vocab or phrases, usually with an explanation, but sometimes I'll forget, so apologies in advance, and just ask me to clarify!

I am interested in joining! Although, at this moment , I have no concrete concept of which character I would like to portray. Yet, I shall get back to you on that asap!

Erotic fiction is best on another site. Needs to be pg-13 or Rodrigo (admin/owner of this site) gets in trouble with google ads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural19 View Post
Erotic fiction is best on another site. Needs to be pg-13 or Rodrigo (admin/owner of this site) gets in trouble with google ads.
Indeedy. Fear not, intrepid adventurers. Just because I'm explicitly alerting applicants to my stance on equality, doesn't mean that there's suddenly going to be a whole lot of lewd or NSFW content. Receiving an appreciative look, being invited to tea for no other ulterior motive, receiving a letter confessing romantic feelings (my autocorrect on this phone wanted "tomato feelings". Hmm.) is about what you can expect to experience in the game, but pointedly could come from any quarter, is all.

I have very strong feelings on tomatoes. Great as part of a sauce, disgusting on their own.

Interested, haven't played L5R in a while but I am largely a fan of FFG (mostly their board games and LCG's), gonna go see if I can buy the book as a PDF and go from there.

Oooh, shiny!

I've played a lot of earlier L5R, but never used Fantasy Flight rules for any game ever. I hope you'll be patient with me if I stumble over the rules a little.

I'm glad to see people leaning Crane! They are my favorite clan I'm assuming the Doji Courtier school made the jmp to the new edition?

I don't suppose anyone would be interested in playing my yojimbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain11 View Post
Oooh, shiny!

I've played a lot of earlier L5R, but never used Fantasy Flight rules for any game ever. I hope you'll be patient with me if I stumble over the rules a little.

I'm glad to see people leaning Crane! They are my favorite clan I'm assuming the Doji Courtier school made the jmp to the new edition?

I don't suppose anyone would be interested in playing my yojimbo?
Oh. Me me! I'd be down for that!

I've not played the FFG L5R yet either, but I'm down for it.