So now I have two of my hexblade weapon...Help? - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

So now I have two of my hexblade weapon...Help?

So now I have two of my hexblade weapon...Help?

Due to our group getting back from an extraplanar torture dungeon we were beset with a time hazard and ended up a few weeks in the past… Since then I was the unfortunate first victim of merging with my past timeline (lots of pain, vomiting and general humiliation for my poor noble). Thankfully I didn't have much of my equipment on me since I was carousing at the time. At least im not as unlucky as the person that got overwritten by their past version and became level 1 again, Oof. And of course for some reason when I saved two others from a similar fate they were pissed off at me for some reason and attacked me ?_? (kids)

Later in the session I went back to my room and found my grandfathers axe which ended up becoming my Hexblade weapon in the future. I pick it up and address it attempting to awaken it as it was dormant at this point. It does...

At first I was excited by the prospect of having two of my most prized possession (character trait stuff prior to going warlock) but now im in a pickle...

Hopefully I can ignore the bickering since they're both glory hungry. I think I realized too late that going two weapon fighting might be more of a transition then I was prepared for and if I dont do that im not certain how im going to handle having two of my hexblade if they refuse to come together etc. (maybe i'll be more in control once I get to pact of the blade)

Currently my characters style is axe and shield (took defender for ac since my reactions are usually reserved for sentinel) and bonus action to usually spell buff my axe with booming blade cause my house motto is 'ours is the thunder' and my weapons name translates to something like 'thunder of the underworld' (thunder theme). This has worked decent for me frontlining so far with fellhanded and sentinel especially since I was able to salvage some plate from our enemies... This is also a high magic world so people tend to have 'spell like abilities' so my booming blade is full level for purposes of spell progression (also got thunderous smite cause theme but that doesn't have level progression so im open to a potential replacement).

If I continued this path from a sheer combat stance I think going warcaster as my next feat would be good since con is one of my saves already making it even more likely I make concentrations. Though from an rp perspecting doing a pair of social feats like diplomat and something else to get my charisma up to 20 for spell saves, to hit and damage and social skills is also nice.

Just trying to figure out the mechanics of such a transition and how long it would take if I played it out (since I think the struggle is more fitting then just asking for a rebuild).

Currently level 4 fighter (battlemaster), level 2 Warlock (str/con 16, cha 18 cause noble knight). At next level gm has given me approval to dropping 1 level of fighter and going up 2 warlock (feat trading effectively) if I choose.

Anyone think I could keep my damage equivalent through two weapon fighting compared to magic enhancement single hits? Or can see any other merits of pursuing this for other reasons? Cause this seems like a very intriguing scenario and I dont want to casually toss it aside just cause it's not immediately convenient.

So, you have two copies of the same sentient weapon? Must be like having two of the same wife. Painful.

I think you should decide now if you'd like to focus on his arcane abilities or his martial abilities. Booming Blade can't hope to keep up with a Fighter with Extra Attack and Dual Wielder, so from a combat-optimisation standpoint, I'd go with trading 1 Warlock level for 1 Fighter level instead.

That said, you won't be able to use Charisma for both weapons without investing into Warlock 3rd and some DM mercy. Hex Warrior applies to only one non-pact weapon. But even with Pact of the Blade, you can't make an artifact/sentient weapon a pact weapon by RAW.

If your DM will allow Pact of the Blade for your other sentient weapon, then I'd suggest taking 1 level of Warlock to get to Warlock 3, then keep it there for a while. If not, I'd say stay at Warlock 2 and get Fighter instead. Either way, I suggest prioritising Fighter over Warlock, at least until you get Extra Attack or that Fighter ASI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreyWulf View Post
So, you have two copies of the same sentient weapon? Must be like having two of the same wife. Painful.
And they both dislike and dont accept the other so far so yeah. Painful. **chuckle**
If I dont resolve things either I have a feeling this is going to be a 'you cant serve two masters' scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreyWulf View Post

That said, you won't be able to use Charisma for both weapons without investing into Warlock 3rd and some DM mercy. Hex Warrior applies to only one non-pact weapon. But even with Pact of the Blade, you can't make an artifact/sentient weapon a pact weapon by RAW.

If your DM will allow Pact of the Blade for your other sentient weapon, then I'd suggest taking 1 level of Warlock to get to Warlock 3, then keep it there for a while. If not, I'd say stay at Warlock 2 and get Fighter instead. Either way, I suggest prioritizing Fighter over Warlock, at least until you get Extra Attack or that Fighter ASI.
The way weve been playing it is the weapon is the patron (it was dormant till in game stuff and I took level 1 warlock) and thus the only weapon I can gain the benefits on since its glory hungry and wants to be used etc. Granted once I reach the pact of the blade point I could probably change its shape or feed it other weapons to give it new properties. Ill probably talk to the gm and see if hell hand wave that normal limit since it is still technically the same weapon /sarcasm. Otherwise ima have to choose which wolf to feed as it were.

So yeah rp wise Id be interested in reaching level 3 and 6 in warlock. 6 because 5 is when I could access cloak of flies and gms letting me play the old variation of hexblade that had a shadowhound as a black wolf if my houses symbol.
Could potentially sink an invocation into thirsting blade at 5th warlock until I could afford to go back and get to extra attack from fighter then reassign it at that level up Maybe I should wait till next level to take the tradeoff and just go 4 and 5 warlock and down to 3 fighter for 8th level instead?

At which point I think I could delay my gratification of getting my shadow doggo 6th level warlock and go back 2 in fighter for a feat and extra attack. Heck maybe go to 6th for another feat while im at it (11th total level at this point).