Quick questions and answers - Page 1345 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valsai View Post
Where are you getting that text from, as that is not included in the Dual Wielder feat, nor is it found in the rules for opportunity attacks or two-weapon fighting.
I was wondering that, too. I think this particular version of Dual Wielder is homebrewed, which is why I analysed it solely on its wording.

that's what I get from not consulting my books when I feel the published text is enough, Valsai is right, this text is NOT from the PHB... In the rules as I have them, Dual Wielder does not do a thing for AoO's . where did you get that text Lothmar?

3.5 D&D:
Some questions about petrification:

1. The Condition Summary states that petrified creatures are considered to be unconscious. But Flesh to Stone's description states that the target is turned into a mindless statue, and makes no mention of the term 'petrification'. Does Flesh to Stone petrify a target, or is it a separate effect?

2. Flesh to Stone only works on, true to the name, creatures made of flesh. Does that mean that (unlike Harry Potter), elementals, incorporeal creatures, constructs, and other inorganic creatures are immune to all petrification effects, or only Flesh to Stone?

3. If petrified creatures are considered unconscious, can they dream, and be affected by spells or other magic that affect dreams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaday Daydream View Post
3.5 D&D:
Some questions about petrification:

1. The Condition Summary states that petrified creatures are considered to be unconscious. But Flesh to Stone's description states that the target is turned into a mindless statue, and makes no mention of the term 'petrification'. Does Flesh to Stone petrify a target, or is it a separate effect?

2. Flesh to Stone only works on, true to the name, creatures made of flesh. Does that mean that (unlike Harry Potter), elementals, incorporeal creatures, constructs, and other inorganic creatures are immune to all petrification effects, or only Flesh to Stone?

3. If petrified creatures are considered unconscious, can they dream, and be affected by spells or other magic that affect dreams?
1. You are correct that RAW does not specify petrification. But RAI, Flesh To Stone is a petrification effect; otherwise, you can't reverse it with Stone To Flesh.

2. This restriction applies specifically to Flesh To Stone. "Only creatures made of flesh are affected by this spell." Other petrification effects do not necessarily follow this restriction.

3. The dreaming aspect might be up for DM interpretation. In our tabletop group, we consider it the petrified creature an object. Objects don't dream in our games.

Alrighty. One more, can objects be petrified, or only creatures?
Or, could a gorgon breathe on gold pieces to turn them to stone pieces, annoying adventurers in the process?
And, will a medusa's gaze attack work on a ghost, since the latter (being undead) is immune to all Fortitude saves that don't affect objects?

Quote:
Alrighty. One more, can objects be petrified, or only creatures?
Or, could a gorgon breathe on gold pieces to turn them to stone pieces, annoying adventurers in the process?
And, will a medusa's gaze attack work on a ghost, since the latter (being undead) is immune to all Fortitude saves that don't affect objects?
Petrification (per the Special Condition) applies only to characters/creatures. Objects are not creatures.

That said, objects can be turned into other materials. So a gold coin can be turned into a stone coin by an effect that can do so, like a Gorgon's breath weapon. This is what happens to the equipment of a petrified creature as well, usually.

However, gaze attacks in particular are tied to the ability to see. This is why creatures can simply avert their eyes and become less likely to be affected by a Medusa's gaze. An object or creature that cannot see is thus immune to gaze attacks.

Oh, and yeah, a Ghost is immune to a Medusa's gaze attack for the same reason that you've specified.

...?
Then would a zombie be immune to a gorgon's breath weapon? Being corporeal, but undead and having the 'Fortitude-immune-except-if-it-affects-objects' trait?

I guess os, AFAICT a gorgon's breath needs to be breathed in to affect something, so it would not affect objects... nothing in the MM tells us it affects nonliving objects.

Quote:
...?
Then would a zombie be immune to a gorgon's breath weapon? Being corporeal, but undead and having the 'Fortitude-immune-except-if-it-affects-objects' trait?
I'll put it like this: If the DM allows the Gorgon's breath to affect an unattended gold coin, then it affects a Zombie. Otherwise, the Zombie is unaffected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
I guess os, AFAICT a gorgon's breath needs to be breathed in to affect something, so it would not affect objects... nothing in the MM tells us it affects nonliving objects.
I don't think the Petrifying Breath needs to be breathed in. Nothing in the text (at least the SRD) specifies this. Otherwise, a Fire Breath wouldn't affect non-breathing creatures.

But I'm also on the fence about Petrifying Breath affecting objects. My take on this is if Fire Breath can burn a piece of wood, then it's not impossible to envision Petrifying Breath turning that wood into stone.