Calling all Cypher Game Players - Page 5 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Calling all Cypher Game Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatteredKing View Post
sure thing VaeVictis. I can add you as a reader to either The Strange or the Numenera game. Preference?
Many thanks. Your Numenera game would be a great start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFighter15 View Post
Add me as well. Only Numenera game I was ever in was on here and died somewhere between character creation and the campaign starting.
I've been in several Cypher family games that have done the same. Very promising ones, too. Unfortunately it comes with the territory.

That's also the reason I've never taken my Cypher game out of the planning stages. I'm not yet confident I'll be able to commit to it fully.

Tossing my hat into the ring for the waiting list, too, if you don't mind.

I picked up the Numenara core book relatively recently and have only had the opportunity to play in a one-shot over Google Hangouts so far. I'm surprised that there isn't more interest given The Strange kickstarter and Torment: Tides of Numenara.

I also just happened to listen to the Numenara episode of One Shot podcast recently, too.

Origami,

I just started a game for Numenera Novices. I'll throw you an invite.

So, I have been getting a number of PM's about Cypher System, Numenera and The Strange, asking what it is, and what resources I can provide for people to read up on. Do you think that is something that is applicable to discuss here, or do you think we should start up a second thread to discuss?

No need for a new thread for it just give a brief explanation and this should be fine.

Cypher system in general: d20, you roll to beat a difficulty number with various modifiers and you get temporary cool items (or inspirations in some settings cyphers aren't physical things). The GM never makes a roll but simply assign difficulties.

The Strange: MiB meets Sliders/Quantum Leap. [other option: Rick and Morty is a good inspiration.]

Numenera: Earth 1 billion years into the future...it's a very weird fantasy sci fi world where everything is possible.

Gods of the Fall: It's scion/exalted version of the Cypher System.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogers View Post
The Strange: MiB meets Sliders/Quantum Leap. [other option: Rick and Morty is a good inspiration.]

Numenera: Earth 1 billion years into the future...it's a very weird fantasy sci fi world where everything is possible.

Gods of the Fall: It's scion/exalted version of the Cypher System.
The Strange: Dr Who, Chronicles of Amber, Excalibur's Cross-Time Caper

Numenera: Thundaar the Barbarian

I have not finihsed reading GotF yet, so cannot speak to it.

But apart from the published scenarios, the Cypher Core Rules allow for playing multiple genres, from Fantasy, to Pulp, to Modern, to SciFi and much more. I have seen games started/run for Scooby-doo, Harry Potter/Diehard mashups, Shadowrun, Star Wars, Star Trek, The Secret World, Call of Cthulu/Delta Green, Superheroes, Victorian Monster Hunters, Post-Apocalyptic, Sky Hi, Power Rangers, Darksun/Sherlock Holmes mashups, Frank Baum's Oz.

Seriously, this system has my imagination on overdrive. Currently working on a Wild West/Deadlands/Westworld recursion for my The Strange game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatteredKing View Post
Currently working on a Wild West/Deadlands/Westworld recursion for my The Strange game.
Okay, now I'm going to go think about what my character looks like with a six gun and hat.

well, Aavy, I did a search on "redhead cowgirl" and the top results were NSFW, so...