We suck at names. - Page 3 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

We suck at names.

Not really. The rulebook is way out of date, so we aren't showing it. I do have a thread on the site about core rules that's only a couple small changes from being up to date (the changes were mostly numeric), so it's one option. And while I don't intend to be very active here for a while, I normally am pretty active. I'm also planning to do a setting overview thread in a couple days.

Sweet. I look forward to checking it out!

One more. Thankfully, we're nearing our final class total so we won't have to do this too much more. The new class is the final class in the shaman archetype, it has basic shaman abilities just like the others (guru, druid, ranger and medium), and its unique abilities are a passive that gives them an opposite buff when they are affected by a debuff, and an ability that lets them slightly debuff enemies to slightly buff themselves. Fluff-wise, the class is a shaman, it's the woo archetype, and this specific class's variety of mystical woo woo is a universal balancing force that constantly reinforces equiliberium. They believe they are manipulating this cosmic osmosis with their magic, and from a negative in one place they can create a positive in another. And the lack of evidence for such a force just confirms its spiritual significance, of course.

Hmmmm..... The Fated Maybe? Like they are pulling on the strings of fate. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Maybe destined? or something to symbolize the wheel of time / loom of fate?

Other ideas had to do with balancers, something to do with the yin/yang, etc. but nothing that really rolled of the tongue or grabbed my attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quixotic View Post
Bloodmage or Blood Witch for Mortal Theurge
Warpriest for the battle Cleric.
We already settled both of those.

What about "Grey" or "Grey Shaman". They find the balance between white and black, hence the grey. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachyco View Post
What about "Grey" or "Grey Shaman". They find the balance between white and black, hence the grey. ^_^
I actually quite like that. evokes some of the balance stuff I was trying to go for, but remains simple without all the flowery language.

We ended up finally going with "judicator". For now, we're going to suspend all further class creation. We have 39 classes right now, the final total is supposed to be 45, and we've got other things to do. (Though I will admit, making classes is a lot of fun. Even if we suck at naming them.)

The current class listing: (with empty spaces marked)

Soldiers:
Grunt
Titan
Peacekeeper
<Missing String> (Inside joke.)
<Missing String>

Warriors:
Blood Knight
Brute
Glory Seeker
Hunter
Struggler

Champions:
Crusader
Officer
Paladin
<Missing String>
<Missing String>

Rogues:
Assassin
Rebel
Scoundrel
Scout
Thief

Experts:
Artisan
Labourer
Scholar
<Missing String>
<Missing String>

Bards:
Emissary
Flagellant
Gambler
Maestro
Skald

Shamans:
Druid
Guru
Judicator
Medium
Ranger

Clerics:
Archivist
Evangelist
Herald
Priest
Theurge

Mages:
Harbinger
Occultist
Sorcerer
Witch
Wizard

It shouldn't be too hard to get an idea what the differences are, lore-wise, between classes of the same archetype based on the names. If you have no idea, not even a feeling, let me know because that means better names might be called for. I get the feeling a few of these may not be immediately obvious. Some, like "brute", I think you know what to expect. But it may be harder to tell the difference between, say, a "witch" and a "wizard" just from the name.