Minor Feature Request: Fonts - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

Minor Feature Request: Fonts

Minor Feature Request: Fonts

My Browser Information: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:67.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/67.0

Relevant Links: (Copy and paste links to what it is you're talking about here)
Referrer: https://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Message: I have a nice-to-have feature to suggest regarding the fonts... so if you're bored and it's a rainy day, it would be nice if you considered it.

The biggest issue are the sans-serif fonts. At the moment Tahoma is directly followed by Verdana in priority. The problem with that is: Verdana is considerably wider than Tahoma, which tends to mess up status bars, results in line breaks and borked layout for complicated posts, and I don't think it's a good stand-in. I think Nimbus Sans L would be a better stand in, even though it's designed to be an Arial replacement, it's a lot more similar to Tahoma as far as the resulting width is concerned and, as far as I can tell, pretty wide spread on Linux systems.

Could you squeeze in a "Nimbus Sans L" between Tahoma and Verdana, please?
currently: '10pt tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
better: "10pt tahoma, 'Nimbus Sans L', verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif"

As for serif fonts, it's not that critical, because Times New Roman is available on many Linux system, however, a proper stand in for Times New Roman would be "Nimbus Roman No9 L".

Currently the default is: 'Times New Roman',Times,serif
Better would be: 'Times New Roman',Times,'Nimbus Roman No9 L',serif

Alright, as it appears you're still reading: May I dare suggest a [serif] tag? It would set a CSS class using the default serif font used by the site, whatever it may be.

e.g.: It [serif] translates into <span class="serif"> and the CSS contains something like:
.serif { font-family: 'Times New Roman',Times,'Nimbus Roman No9 L',serif; }

As a pro webdev person, a standardized Google Font would be a free solution. Then everyone will hopefully see the same font, unless they did something to change how their browser works.

I mentioned having an idea in the Discord server. I'm only proposing a possibility, coming from the background of someone who does this for fun & work.

How a possible solution could work: With "Lato" as an example.

Add this to the very, very top of style-b54ac8c2-00012.css above everything else:

Code:
@import url('https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Lato:300,400,700&display=swap');
Then search the same style-b54ac8c2-00012.css, and turn the font-family lines to this:

Code:
  font-family: 'Lato', 'Tahoma', 'Verdana', 'Arial', sans-serif;
I won't argue that it needs to be Lato, just that Lato is a thinner sans-serif and shouldn't break any layouts. Google Fonts has a lot of Sans Serif typefaces to choose from.

I don't know VBulletin enough to know if this is 100% possible. Using a standardized Google Font is the first answer that comes to mind.

I was thinking the same thing. However, that would change overall appearance of the website, but using Google fonts would have a few advantages though:
1) You would always know for sure that any user has exactly the intended font.
2) In case of the more common ones, the user would have them cached anyway if they have recently been on a google Website.
3) You could safely add some more obscure fonts, such as handwriting.
4) The Post Editor could be adjusted to have a larger number of fonts, all of which are guaranteed to be available on any system.
5) The more widespread fonts are constantly being updated and support a wide array of Unicode characters which may be helpful in play-by-post. E.g. unchecked checkboxes, checkboxes with a hook in them and so forth.

Anyway, fancy dreams aside:
I haven't tried Lato yet. However, Roboto, which is Google's most prominent font, because it is afaik the default font of Android, works pretty well:

Screenshot
(Rendered by Google Chrome, Windows 10)

Roboto has almost the same width as in Tahoma and Arial, it's actually a bit narrower, whereas Lucida Sans and Verdana are considerably wider.

Like, I said, it's not like it's a big problem, it just would be nice to have.
Attached Images
File Type: png fonts.png (56.2 KB, 0 views)

I've also made a little comparison for a possible serif font from fonts.google.com :