What kind of RPG games would you like to see made? - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

What kind of RPG games would you like to see made?

What kind of RPG games would you like to see made?

I've been binge reading Shannon Appelcline's Designers & Dragons series recently, and saw the vast variety of PPRPGs games made since its humble beginnings. It's gotten me thinking: what kinds of games are on the horizon? Which one's would you like to see remade? Which one's have yet to satisfy whatever itch you have?

For me, I've been waiting for more Slavic-inspired settings/games.

You want Slavic? Have I got the game for you!

Sure, it's a video game, and not a true tabletop, but it's got a great mix of strategy, tactics and all the Slavic stuff you can want. It's called Thea: The Awakening.

You can thank me later.

I would like some sort of updated chrono trigger. Or something where the inciting event in the begining is a direct result of the main protagonists meddling in the time line. So you can buff up your char all you want, but that just makes the harder to beat when it is revealed that you yourself are the final boss in the end...

I also like the jurassic park idea I have seen floating around. Where it starts of as a sim building the park, generating security systems, designing habitats etc. Then when you "finish" and think its game over, it goes all -system error- and turns into a fps or rts where you have to navigate thru the very park you designed in order to rescue survivors and escape etc.

I would love to see a "Modern Spec Ops" type RPG, with streamlined rules for character creation, but a bit more detailed and realistic rules for tactical combat. I've tried to google around, but there are very few games made specifically for this. GURPS sort of works, but it's very heavy to play in a PbP environment and the character creation is pretty arduous.

careful about "detailed and realistic rules for tactical combat." ... lots of early RPG games, of whatever genre, had such, and they proved to be unplayable, bog down things.

An RPG based off of the Metal Gear franchise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaomei View Post
I've been binge reading Shannon Appelcline's Designers & Dragons series recently, and saw the vast variety of PPRPGs games made since its humble beginnings. It's gotten me thinking: what kinds of games are on the horizon? Which one's would you like to see remade? Which one's have yet to satisfy whatever itch you have?

For me, I've been waiting for more Slavic-inspired settings/games.
You want Slavic-inspired?
The Witcher RPG was recently published.

Technically, I also know of another setting with a Slavic-inspired regions that is "in the works", but it's been in beta-testing for years now.

@tom_gore A few Weavers and myself are working on such a system at present. It started as a D20 Modern firearms overhaul and got out of hand fast, which answers the question of what happens when three engineers try to revise something.

Like Svartalf said, be careful what you wish for. There is a very sincere focus on streamlining things, but you can only reduce the crunch so far with a target like realistic firearms rules.

Innovation is what I would like to see more of. Explore the boundaries of mechanics, figure out ways to create games that haven't been done before. Being bold and experimental is a good thing, and can only help to make future products better, even if those early bold and experimental games aren't even playable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
careful about "detailed and realistic rules for tactical combat." ... lots of early RPG games, of whatever genre, had such, and they proved to be unplayable, bog down things.
That is the holy grail, isn't it? How to design a system that feels realistic and gritty, but is fast and simple to play?