What kind of RPG games would you like to see made? - Page 3 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

What kind of RPG games would you like to see made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylia Quilor View Post
An interesting idea for such a game might also be to allow a 'build' (as it were) that plays the wild rolls hard, and so takes big gambles on big results? I mean, that lucky outsider conceit in fiction usually has them fail big time first, after all, but a way to try and game your luck (but with possibly even bigger failure if you lose hard, or something?) would fit that thematic idea.
That’s rather good! One thought that it sparks would be luck/hero/whatever points that could only be used to reroll wild rolls, but had increased cost for failure. Players would be reluctant to risk them until those genre-appropriate critical situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voord 99 View Post
That’s rather good! One thought that it sparks would be luck/hero/whatever points that could only be used to reroll wild rolls, but had increased cost for failure. Players would be reluctant to risk them until those genre-appropriate critical situations.
Makes sense.

Honestly, in terms of pen-and-paper/tabletop RPGs, I'm pretty happy with the likes of D&D. I'd like to see something like 3.5 redone with a bunch of the niggles fixed I guess but I'm not sure it's possible to fix all the issues with it without creating a fundamentally different system (see also: 4e). Also people have tried and failed multiple times (see: Pathfinder) so I don't know how much they were just bad and how much it's inherently difficult.

I do like the idea of an RPG designed for PbP. There are some mechanics which just don't work well in a PbP setting. Unfortunately maps is probably one, unless you have a good mapping service (and even then, it's a lot more work), and I really like tactical battlemaps. Everything feels a lot less... well, two-dimensional, without them.

Finding a balance between simplicity and not only realism but also mechanical interest is difficult. Mutants and Masterminds, for example, I like, but I find very mechanically "flat". It's almost too simple - and I'm aware that by some people's measure it's not "rules lite" at all. It's a real challenge to make rules which are straightforward and simple to describe but still manage to get close to the effect you want (assuming you don't want to put actual formulae in your rules, etc - actually maybe that's another thing I'd like to see, an RPG which doesn't assume that I don't have a calculator, which is OK in PbP because I do). I much prefer the idea of a Gaussian distribution rather than a straight d20 (so multiple rolls, probably), and it also helps with the whole "nat 1/nat 20" thing, but it gets fiddly quickly. Much easier to do on a computer.

So, yeah... maybe computer-assisted RPGs? Not video games, just something like, you use the dice roller here but the dice roller has "roll me a normal distribution" as an option as well (rather than pretending you're rolling actual dice, when you aren't even doing that in the first place). Using an online SRD and stuff is already easier than actual physical books anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
Honestly, in terms of pen-and-paper/tabletop RPGs, I'm pretty happy with the likes of D&D. I'd like to see something like 3.5 redone with a bunch of the niggles fixed I guess but I'm not sure it's possible to fix all the issues with it without creating a fundamentally different system (see also: 4e). Also people have tried and failed multiple times (see: Pathfinder) so I don't know how much they were just bad and how much it's inherently difficult.
Fantasy Craft would probably be a nice surprise for you, then! I does fix the majority of the issues, though it's not nearly as popular as PF (not due to either system's merits).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsenRG View Post
Fantasy Craft would probably be a nice surprise for you, then! I does fix the majority of the issues, though it's not nearly as popular as PF (not due to either system's merits).
You mean This game: https://www.therpgsite.com/showthrea...l=1#post509323

I'm aware that there are probably several attempts at doing something similar, but I've not looked into most of them in any depth (this even includes 5e - though the "extra attack" thing put me off pretty early there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylia Quilor View Post
You mean This game: https://www.therpgsite.com/showthrea...l=1#post509323
Not sure if he is referring to the current edition, but yes.
However, the site you linked to is not one I'd recommend for unbiased opinions, especially not when it comes to 3.5 and its offshoots.
Here's a link for balance.
https://gnomestew.com/gm-spotlight-w...-to-the-table/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
I'm aware that there are probably several attempts at doing something similar, but I've not looked into most of them in any depth (this even includes 5e - though the "extra attack" thing put me off pretty early there).
I purchased Fantasy Craft after a PbP on another site that went better than I expected of a d20 game. It solves some of the issues inherent in the system, like long NPC preparation times, the "Christmas tree syndrome", and mostly resolves caster dominance.
So, I'd recommend you to check some more reviews, and to really consider it.

It's not a matter of bias when the guy is explicitly talking about RAW that put in a level of fiddliness that would make a board game like Twilight Impierium Blush.

That review is a pretty positive review, but it doesn't say a thing about the details of the rules or the actual play.

Either way, neither makes it look appealing to me, but unlike The Fred, I don't think 3.PF is this giant mess that needs fixing as he seems to think. Nor do I need a game that fiddly. Or, a new game in general.

If I were to get one RPG made into a tabletop game... it would probably be Dark Souls. That's probably a pretty basic request, but I just love the series too much to not want it made into a tabletop roleplaying experience. I've more or less modded Pathfinder to accommodate for a few soulsian games I have ran in the past*, but I want something that really captures the feel of the combat. Some things people suggest, like Blades in the Dark, WRM, World of Darkness, and Savage Worlds don't really fit it, at least to me.

*In case people are wondering what changes I made to Pathfinder for those games, I gave everyone a Stamina pool based on their class, added in the ability to make additional 5-foot steps by using Stamina, used armor AC as DR (with the /? being made case-by-case), gave shields double AC, gave characters an untyped AC based on their class, allowed people to attempt a parry during a total defense action by making a modified attack roll using their shield's AC bonus, used conversions of Dark Souls spells for Spheres of Power, and created my own Hollowing track using modified Corruption rules from Horror Adventures.

Dark Souls got a tabletop game. It's unfortunately only in Japanese though.