Rifts? - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Rifts?

Rifts?

I was a big fan of the Palladium version. The rules sucked hard, but the lore and the world was very rich and entertaining. In fact, it is pretty much my favorite RPG ever if it wasn't of the craziness and inconsistencies of the mechanic and rules (which reflect pretty much the personality of the creator of the game: Kevin Siembiedia...but I won't start anything on his case today).

Here I am today, with a fresh copy of the Savage Worlds - Core Rulebook, Savage Worlds RIFTS (The Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide) and the Savage Worlds RIFTS Game Master's Handbook. So far, I really like what I'm reading, and the nostalgia of the Rift Megaverse is hitting me very hard, without the pain that usually follow up when I'm thinking about anything from Palladium.

People have tried the game (Savage World)? It's good? Playable on PbP? And somebody tried the Rift version?

Thank you!

I have played SW pretty extensively and have played and run several PbP games using the system. The system is good and works well for PbP. The one thing you will need to figure out how to do is using cards for initiative.

I do not have the Rifts setting for SW. I have heard some very bad reviews of it, but cannot confirm or deny them. May just have been some diehard Palladium fans railing on it.

well, I've read through the SW Rifts book, I have trouble using the rules provided to create my favorite Rifts races, (more spécifically Larmacs) but the classes seem well put together.

I have played it and am actually currently running it for my IRL group. Savage Worlds and Rifts go together amazingly well. I'm not sure how well it would do for PbP however since the game is very combat heavy. I also wouldn't use it to introduce people to Savage Worlds, it would give them the wrong impression about the system since Savage Rifts is quite a bit more advanced.

There are indeed Palladium players out there who hate on it for a multitude of reasons, mostly because its not Palladium Rifts. One of the goals of Savage rifts is to reduce the ridiculous bloat of Palladium Rifts. Some things also shift their focus.

Savage Worlds by itself goes fine with PbP. You can either use dice or just use your own deck of cards and let people know the results.

I don't know anything about Savage Worlds and very little about Rifts but for a while there was something in Game Planning for a game using Mutants and Masterminds to run a Rifts (or possibly just strongly Rifts-inspired/related) game. I certainly like the idea of the setting (at a high level) and the general vibe, though I don't know anything about any specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatteredKing View Post
I have played SW pretty extensively and have played and run several PbP games using the system. The system is good and works well for PbP. The one thing you will need to figure out how to do is using cards for initiative.
@GodKing Zan have great idea about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatteredKing View Post
I do not have the Rifts setting for SW. I have heard some very bad reviews of it, but cannot confirm or deny them. May just have been some diehard Palladium fans railing on it.
Pretty much what I was thinking too. Might just be the diehard fanboys reaction. So far, I like what I read and it's actually well done IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
well, I've read through the SW Rifts book, I have trouble using the rules provided to create my favorite Rifts races, (more spécifically Larmacs) but the classes seem well put together.
They seemed to have balanced the classes pretty well without taking out the ''feel'' of each of them. Example: the Glitterboy seems as badass as it was in the original game, just different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodKing Zan View Post
I have played it and am actually currently running it for my IRL group. Savage Worlds and Rifts go together amazingly well. I'm not sure how well it would do for PbP however since the game is very combat heavy. I also wouldn't use it to introduce people to Savage Worlds, it would give them the wrong impression about the system since Savage Rifts is quite a bit more advanced.

There are indeed Palladium players out there who hate on it for a multitude of reasons, mostly because its not Palladium Rifts. One of the goals of Savage rifts is to reduce the ridiculous bloat of Palladium Rifts. Some things also shift their focus.

Savage Worlds by itself goes fine with PbP. You can either use dice or just use your own deck of cards and let people know the results.
Pretty much confirming the diehard fanboy hate theory of @TatteredKing. Thank you for the cards tip - so simple yet effective.
And I might do a game in a near future, so all you said pretty much encourage me to do so.

No probs mate. If you don't have a physical deck you can make a game on Roll20 and use the digital one, it saves the deck state so you don't need to worry about it getting reset.

I played in a short-lived SW Rifts game here on the 'Weave awhile back. I'm an old school Rifts player, and I really like the SW take on it. There are a few things I think I might tweak if it were up to me (notably how burn works for juicers), but as others have said, I think they did a great job of converting the classes, cleaning up the system, and balancing thing out without losing the "feel" of Rifts.

Probably the biggest "gripe" I have with the system is magic, or specifically the duration of magic. It's been awhile since I looked at it so I don't recall the details, but I think most magic has a very short duration - long enough for a single encounter (or at least a decent portion of one), but there really aren't any long lasting buff/utility type spells.

That seems likely, it fits the style of SW in general better than long duration buffs.