Rifts? - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Rifts?

Ah, good to hear Zan. I procrastinated too long and missed the Kickstarter for the Adventure edition updates, and I don't know if I can justify buying them full price at this point when I don't have any game prospects and already have all the non-Adventure Edition books.

Man, I love me some Rifts. Other than CyberPunk it's my absolute favorite setting, but, like many, I despise the system itself. I've played a couple of SW games over the years on various forums and they seemed to work reasonably well. I've wanted to run a Rifts game here on MW myself, but since the reason I quit playing it with my PnP group so long ago is because I hated the mechanics...I certainly didn't want to try and bring it into PbP. If this version is viable, I would love to give it a go as a player so I could get a decent feel for the system, so that I could finally run my long desired Rifts game on the Weave!

Is there anything in the SW books that lets you convert the various O.C.C.'s/R.C.C.'s from Rifts into SW:Rifts? I cant imagine they've converted everything over...there are, what, over a hundred books in the Rifts catalog? Having the ability to convert your favorite class/race over would be super useful.

There are no rules to convert OCCs, no. All the "Main Book" OCCs/RCCs (and perhaps a few non-main ones, though I don't recall) are in SW Rifts, but for anything else you're on your own to convert. Of course you can use those conversions to help guide/inspire you for classes that aren't represented.

That being said, Rifts had a very rigid class structure, and there were tons of redundant OCCs throughout the books. SW has a much more "open" system (i.e. you can choose any skill, advantage, etc. regardless of "class," so you can tailor your character much more than Rifts), so it may be possible to at least approximate some of the missing classes just by using what's already there.

Personally, I always enjoyed early North America stuff the most anyway, which is what's represented in SW Rifts. Not that there wasn't lots of cool stuff in the other books, and hopefully eventually much of it (the good stuff anyway) will be converted to SW Rifts, but I'd be perfectly satisfied with a game that only included the core stuff.

What?! Are you saying that Sheriff and Sheriff's Deputy don't need separate conversions? Blasphemy! That's so not Rifts!

In all seriousness, saying Rifts had tons of redundant OCC's is like saying water is moist, it really understates the issue. Savage Worlds doesn't need that. As long as you can come up with a reasonable approximation of an OCC's defining abilities, you should be good (not that there aren't a ton of OCC's with no real defining ability anyhow).

Part of the absurd joy of Rifts was the wildly out of balance system that let a dragon run around next to a baker.

SW Rifts is more balanced. Whether that is good or bad probably depends on nostalgia.

I love SW. SW runs well on PbP. SW Rifts is fun. I also love Rifts. Rifts isn't fun for me on PbP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkrough View Post
Part of the absurd joy of Rifts was the wildly out of balance system that let a dragon run around next to a baker.
Having played as both the metaphorical baker and a literal dragon back in my RIFTs days I remember I always remembered being a bit stumped as to what Dragons were adventuring for. I mean, yeah, plots, heroism and the like but they kinda sidestepped the loot train rewards that saw other PC's showered in credits and powered armor: I ended that campaign with a McDuckian pile of cash my fledgling flamewind had no use for and being a fledgling had no sense to turn into something more gameable ("First National Bank of Drake, how may I help you?").

I seem to recall I retired the character by throwing the biggest party MercTown had ever seen. Fun Fact - GlitterBoy/Girl go-go dancers are surprisingly affordable to hire if you throw in free catering.

As for SW Rifts - it's one of those game I want to play, but lack the conviction to run? I've got the original pre-SW adventure edition corebooks and they read quite well, even if I was a bit less enthralled about the framing structure of the Tomorrow Legion; figure that's easy enough to retcon if need be, tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirlot View Post
Having played as both the metaphorical baker and a literal dragon back in my RIFTs days I remember I always remembered being a bit stumped as to what Dragons were adventuring for. I mean, yeah, plots, heroism and the like but they kinda sidestepped the loot train rewards that saw other PC's showered in credits and powered armor: I ended that campaign with a McDuckian pile of cash my fledgling flamewind had no use for and being a fledgling had no sense to turn into something more gameable ("First National Bank of Drake, how may I help you?").
Same, on pretty much all counts. It was one of those uniquely absurd Rifts things that I dont think I've encountered in any other game I've ever played.
Quote:
I seem to recall I retired the character by throwing the biggest party MercTown had ever seen. Fun Fact - GlitterBoy/Girl go-go dancers are surprisingly affordable to hire if you throw in free catering.

As for SW Rifts - it's one of those game I want to play, but lack the conviction to run? I've got the original pre-SW adventure edition corebooks and they read quite well, even if I was a bit less enthralled about the framing structure of the Tomorrow Legion; figure that's easy enough to retcon if need be, tho.
I'm going to pick up the core book sometime soon and check it out. Hopefully someone will take a stab at running a game because I would LOVE to play Rifts again. I'd really like to run a game or two...I have LOTS of ideas for stories, but I'm not at all comfortable enough with SW to GM one just yet.

I either forgot or didn't know about it, but apparently there is some sort of conversion guide for SW Rifts, and it's free no less!:
Savaging Your Favorite Rifts® Ideas (PDF).

Also, if you're considering getting SW Rifts, I'd wait a bit. They just had a Kickstarter for an updated version which incorporates the SW Adventure Edition rules updates (i.e updates to the core system) as well as changes/updates based on feedback they've gotten on SW Rifts. I don't know how extensive the changes/updates are, but it's probably worth it to wait until the newest versions are out before dropping any money on things. (Note that the conversion guide I linked to above is the old version, but I imagine most of it wil still be pretty applicable, I don't think the updated rules are massively different).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigLickJF View Post
I either forgot or didn't know about it, but apparently there is some sort of conversion guide for SW Rifts, and it's free no less!:
Savaging Your Favorite Rifts® Ideas (PDF).

Also, if you're considering getting SW Rifts, I'd wait a bit. They just had a Kickstarter for an updated version which incorporates the SW Adventure Edition rules updates (i.e updates to the core system) as well as changes/updates based on feedback they've gotten on SW Rifts. I don't know how extensive the changes/updates are, but it's probably worth it to wait until the newest versions are out before dropping any money on things. (Note that the conversion guide I linked to above is the old version, but I imagine most of it wil still be pretty applicable, I don't think the updated rules are massively different).
Both info are good to know (thank you for sharing the PDF, it's gonna be surely useful). I don't think the new version will interfere with the conversion too.

Awesome! Thanks for the linkage/info PL!! I had planned to just pick up the main PC book, but if they're working on a new one, I might just have to wait. If someone starts a game I can apply to in the meantime (*HINT HINT* to any potential GM's out there), I might have to shell out for the PDF anyway, then pick up the revised version as well.