npc creation - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

npc creation

Depending on the reasons why your DM is having you design this NPC, you might want to consider possible plot hooks attached to the smith. For example, maybe he gets supplies for cheap from the local rogue’s guild. Maybe he struck a deal with any sentient monsters in the dungeon to split profits if they fetch dead adventurer’s gear for him to refurbish.

Unless the smith has any involvement or possible connections to the adventurers’ story...(in my mind at least) there’s not that much reason to describe so much other than there’s conveniently a crazy smith near a dungeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylia Quilor View Post
Making an NPC is just like making a PC, just you focus on different things.

If it is difficult to get supplies there, then there's no reason for a blacksmith to be there alone. There'd be a whole operation.
there is a whole operation there yes we are pretty much living off the surrounding land but i can work with the DM on that part it is just a problem do i level the NPC just like i would a PC just slower with item creation feats and skills?

You don't need to level them. Just make them the level they are. You just make them the way you'd make a PC of a given level. You should use the Expert class, probably, unless you're planning to have a blacksmith that makes magic weapons, which is a whole different kettle of fish.

You should ask your dungeon master what he expects from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaomei View Post
Depending on the reasons why your DM is having you design this NPC, you might want to consider possible plot hooks attached to the smith. For example, maybe he gets supplies for cheap from the local rogue’s guild. Maybe he struck a deal with any sentient monsters in the dungeon to split profits if they fetch dead adventurer’s gear for him to refurbish.

Unless the smith has any involvement or possible connections to the adventurers’ story...(in my mind at least) there’s not that much reason to describe so much other than there’s conveniently a crazy smith near a dungeon.
well the forge is there to help supply the team for prolonged dungeon dives he really doesn't have any connection to the polt outside of being a vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylia Quilor View Post
You don't need to level them. Just make them the level they are. You just make them the way you'd make a PC of a given level. You should use the Expert class, probably, unless you're planning to have a blacksmith that makes magic weapons, which is a whole different kettle of fish.

You should ask your dungeon master what he expects from you.
yea i did and was told to do the research which is why im here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwosquid View Post
well the forge is there to help supply the team for prolonged dungeon dives he really doesn't have any connection to the polt outside of being a vendor
Then there's no research to do. And you certainly don't need to design his stats.

Why is your DM making you do his job for him?

Where does he get his supplies: Adventurers selling him loot, the occasional merchant from the nearest town and maybe other merchants there too (Adventurers need more than just blacksmithing).

Boom, problem solved, move on with your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwosquid View Post
I mean, that's one of my points: if his only function is to supply your team, then that's all that matters. He doesn't need a history or anything. It just seems like your DM is giving you busy work that has little relevance here. Would you need to give such info about a smith in a town?

Otherwise, if anything, I would just say, "Since this smith is far away from civilization and suppliers, he only has a few equipment to sell. He can fix equipment if given resources from inside the dungeon."

EDIT: Just noticed Kylia's post. I agree with everything she said

Creating NPCs not personally tied to the PCs is the DM's job.

So, since you've been tasked to make this NPC, why not build a plot hook in? Maybe a cousin or old friend, who happens to be a skilled smith, has decided to set up a camp/trading post near the dungeon and has a few mercenaries or the like for protection. Maybe they have some trained attack dogs as well.

As others have said, the expert NPC class is probably your best choice if you're limited to NPC classes. The DMG has a wealth by level table that shows you how much wealth (in gear) this NPC is expected to have. For feats, Skill Focus: Craft: Armorsmithing would be a reasonable choice for an NPC. For skills, you obviously want the appropriate Craft skills, Appraise, Sense Motive, and Diplomacy.

What level is this NPC? If he's level five or higher and your DM allows you to build this NPC with PC classes, you'll want him to be a wizard or cleric with Craft Magic Arms And Armor. If he's exactly level five, make him a wizard so he can use his bonus feat for it.

If you're not restricted on races (haven't met the guy yet), make him a dwarf so he gets the racial bonus on his Craft checks.

For motivation, perhaps this (dwarven) wizard is after an artifact in the dungeon, or will trade his services for any spellbooks you recover. Perhaps his protectors aren't just mercenaries, but each have their own business idea for the area and have formed a conglomerate. Maybe one guy does weapons, one does armor, one is a fletcher, one deals in general goods, et cetera.

What if this camp of entrepreneurs is actually an adventuring group who leaves the dirty work to others in exchange for the smaller, lower-risk rewards available by providing services to your party? All they have to do is defend themselves while you crazy folks risk your necks in a dungeon designed to slaughter trespassers.