Star Wars RPG Question - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Star Wars RPG Question

Star Wars RPG Question

I was considering getting into the Star Wars RPG, but there seems to be a lot of different (sub?)systems. The 30th anniversary, Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion...if I wanted to play here, which is best to invest in?

So... Just looking at active games right now, there are 8 games using the FFG system and 11 game using the Saga system. So... Either of those would probably be a good bet.

It might be somewhat difficult to get a hold of Saga books, since they are no longer in print, and not available for sale in an electronic form. This is one reason that I have been working on a Saga clone.

Is there a difference in the FFG ones? I see three different starter kits and associated core rule books (Age of Rebellion, Edge of the Empire, The Force Awakens).

I know it's far lesser known, but there is a very small following of WEG starwars D6 players around MW. The core books were JUST reprinted, as well. (They're beautiful... my core group might have bought out our local nerd store the moment they hit the shelves.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambala View Post
Is there a difference in the FFG ones? I see three different starter kits and associated core rule books (Age of Rebellion, Edge of the Empire, The Force Awakens).
Sort of. They all focus on slightly different things, but are (as I understand it, having only played Age of Rebellion) highly compatible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
I know it's far lesser known, but there is a very small following of WEG starwars D6 players around MW. The core books were JUST reprinted, as well. (They're beautiful... my core group might have bought out our local nerd store the moment they hit the shelves.)
The WEG version of Star Wars (especially the first edition, which is what was recently reprinted) is a very good game, and seems like it should work well for PbP. There are not a lot of active games for it right now, though.

They are very rare, but then, when they do show up, the same 5-8 players crawl out of a corner drooling. It's an incredibly easy system for PbP because it can be very rules light, and doesn't really bother with levels so much as being good at particular skills.

I'll stop fangirling now.

The only WEG D6 game I'm aware of is the one I'm spinning up right now, A Past's Hope. Feel free to look around.

And I recommend the D6, as it is simple, suitable for everything from low-end games to epic "fate of the galaxy" games, and easy to learn.

Will consider all of this. Thanks, everyone (feel free to keep throwing in tips...lol)