U.S. Supreme Court Decision - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

U.S. Supreme Court Decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW Teczka View Post
Congratulation of reasonable decision from Poland. Less race, more merit.
How does one define "merit" when minorities suffer a systematic disadvantage, especially concerning traditional academic styles of learning?

Can you explain what a disadvantage concerning traditional academic styles of learning is?

I can understand the concept of being discriminated against, but it seems like academia would be color blind. A few examples would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
How does one define "merit" when minorities suffer a systematic disadvantage, especially concerning traditional academic styles of learning?
What kind of disadvantages?

Primarily the education budget for school districts. Poorer districts have a harder time meeting some of the newer education standards in effect due to an inability to afford in some cases even adequate educational tools. Richer districts are able to afford much more expensive and effective tools for education.

As an example: Poorer districts are still using projectors for presentations. Richer districts have upgraded to the SMART board, which allows teachers to display not only slides but videos from their computer, as well as allowing free drawing on the virtual board for illustrative purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruciatus View Post
Primarily the education budget for school districts. Poorer districts have a harder time meeting some of the newer education standards in effect due to an inability to afford in some cases even adequate educational tools. Richer districts are able to afford much more expensive and effective tools for education.

As an example: Poorer districts are still using projectors for presentations. Richer districts have upgraded to the SMART board, which allows teachers to display not only slides but videos from their computer, as well as allowing free drawing on the virtual board for illustrative purposes.

Schools have those kind of things? Wow, when I was still in 1-12 they had those old crappy slides and those old IBM computers from the 80s. Even in highschool which wasn't an amazingly long time ago we still had those crappy projectors and they used to make my eyes hurt from staring all that illuminated scribble.

Indeed they do. My high school got one in every classroom the year I graduated. It all depends on the budget that's set for that district, based on tax dollars. If the district doesn't care about the education system or there isn't enough money from taxes, the district will be stuck with the sub-par equipment from the 80's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruciatus View Post
Indeed they do. My high school got one in every classroom the year I graduated. It all depends on the budget that's set for that district, based on tax dollars. If the district doesn't care about the education system or there isn't enough money from taxes, the district will be stuck with the sub-par equipment from the 80's.
Hence the minority disadvantage, most minority communities have been poor for generations and that doesn't help too much.

The only issue here is that this problem should be tackled by increasing funding to minority schooling, not by allowing individuals with sub-par educations to gain employment over those that have better education simply because they happen to be a minority. Rather than lowering standards to create equality we should be raising the bottom.