Stranger Things - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Stranger Things

Stranger Things

Is anyone else watching this.

Great show, great characters, haven't watched all the way through but all the d&d stuff is awesome.

Like the Firestarter vibe, reminds me of that and all the old good movies like that and Silver Bullet.

Saw the first two episodes, will be back for more.

The D&D was awesome, that bit in the first episode with Demogorgon caught the whole "we know the DM has a new mini and can't wait to use it" vibe.

Really feels like something that could have been made in the 80's (in a good way).

We've been binge watching it this weekend and absolutely LOVE it! It's definitely an homage to 80's movies without being hokey about it. It's a true love for the genre. Down to the music and special effects score. It's like watching The Thing, Firestarter, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Explorers, The Goonies and any Stephen King movie all wrapped into one. It's so good.

Oh yeah the explorers and the goonies were my jam back in the day. Definitely got that same vibe going for it. There is supposed to be another season in the works too.

edit: Can't forget something wicked this way comes.

Great show overall, must admit the most pleasant surprise from a netflix series that I didn't expect much of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndl View Post
We've been binge watching it this weekend and absolutely LOVE it! It's definitely an homage to 80's movies without being hokey about it. It's a true love for the genre. Down to the music and special effects score. It's like watching The Thing, Firestarter, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Explorers, The Goonies and any Stephen King movie all wrapped into one. It's so good.
OK wow... gonna have to check this out. What a glowing review.

There was no reference to a Critical Hit when...

For shame, creators/writer(s)...for shame!

Netflix - Stranger Things

Who has watched it and what did you think? If you have spoiler please remember to use spoiler tags.

I stumbled across this on accident. It began with looking for information on the Dark Tower movie. Which led to discovering the remake of Stephen King's IT. I took a look at the cast for IT. Saw the actors / actress for the Losers' Club and noticed one of the actors was in Stranger Things...

This weekend I watched the eight episode season and liked it quite a bit. They really did a great job with setting the show in the 80's. I liked the suspense, mystery and "scarry" parts. The ending left plenty of room for a second season which I hope will happen.

Thoughts?

I had the opposite reaction--I thought it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. The perfect blend of 80s movie tropes with a strong Lovecraftian vibe. It helps that I started playing D&D at about the same age as the kids in the show, in the very same year. In fact a lot of the show could have been set in my old neighborhood.