This week in video games... - Page 602 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Lint View Post
Pretty sure if you've got an evil enough government you can massacre any individual pop you want...
Not evil - Authoritarian. Stellaris makes it very easy to be evil regardless of government type or ethics. Also, you can purge pops with the Xenophobe ethic, but only alien pops.

Well I finally got thrown in jail, framed for a murder by the guards that I didn't commit.

You have no idea how hard it is to resist summoning an undead dragon and ripping the soul from that King of the Forsworn's body with Soul Tear, before going Vampire Lord on everyone.

Seriously, all I was doing was investigating murders happening in broad infernal daylight. Oh and the Jarl happens to be an imperial, as if I need another reason to aid the Stormcloaks. TRUE TO ULFRIC!

Although that does raise an interesting question. Namely how do you ever convict someone like the Dragonborn of a crime? Unless they're willing to go with you, at which point they probably either think they can win the trial, or didn't commit the crime. How do you ever permanently lock someone up who is basically a walking god? Either they didn't do it, which is the only reason they're going with you peacefully, they did do it, but think they were justified and are going to try and win the trial via public relations. Or you're trying to frame them, or they're just an evil psycho, at which point, why, oh, why, do you think your city guards in clothes and wielding iron maces have a chance against them.

I mean, the law is kind of meaningless if you can't enforce it, and how do you "enFORCE" it, key sub-word force, on a creature who's basically a walking god.

I literally didn't even use the shiv on the guy that I had to kill to get out, I used Soul Tear and reanimated his corpse to follow me around, which is pretty much extra evidence that trying to in anyway to "Disarm" the Dragonborn, or really any person with innate magic is meaningless.

See the problem here is that you're coming at it with the presupposition that post-Oblivion Bethesda Softworks gives a flying crap about internal consistency or logic in their game design and would be capable of achieving it even if they did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
Not evil - Authoritarian. Stellaris makes it very easy to be evil regardless of government type or ethics. Also, you can purge pops with the Xenophobe ethic, but only alien pops.
Potato, potahto.

Quote:
See the problem here is that you're coming at it with the presupposition that post-Oblivion Bethesda Softworks gives a flying crap about internal consistency or logic in their game design and would be capable of achieving it even if they did...
To be fair the whole "how do you punish a god" thing is a problem for like...most videogame that are RPGs, because by the end of it, the Player Characters are usually able to punch out a deity.

It's a little more justified in JRPGs where you don't play your own character and you can just argue "oh the nice guy protagonist wouldn't fight back", but in WRPGs, where you're your own guy...how do they enforce any kind of punishment or anything? Like even in Simulation games and such. In a game like Grand Ages: Medieval. At one point in the campaign you have to "play the bad guy" to get the priest to allow the Empress to marry, so you can back-stab her possible husband and steal her for yourself. (You're forced to play a guy in the campaign if the next paragraph seems weird given it's style. It's written in-character).

And my character is just sitting there like "Seriously? Woman, I control like 50% of the continent at this point. I've killed off an entire nation's rulers, and I'm starting to expand and conquer my way into Africa solely because this other jerk decided he was worthy of being Emperor along side me. Couldn't we just ex-commune the church or something? Or me force the matter, via my massive army? Also 'play the bad guy', how many people have I killed on my rampage of conquest at this point?"

Quote:
Potato, potahto.
I mean, I'm running a spiritualist/militarist empire that's converting the entire galaxy by the sword. I've run egalitarian/materialist empires whose sole goal is to upgrade everyone into a synthetic body; I've run pacifist empires wishing to stifle all war (and also all progress) in the galaxy. Everything is evil in that game.

Quote:
I mean, I'm running a spiritualist/militarist empire that's converting the entire galaxy by the sword. I've run egalitarian/materialist empires whose sole goal is to upgrade everyone into a synthetic body; I've run pacifist empires wishing to stifle all war (and also all progress) in the galaxy. Everything is evil in that game.
You can make anything evil in that game but it's a lot harder to make certain things good.

@Cyber:

I just recently ran the Forsworn story arc myself. I didn't care for it either, but I did recognize that they were trying to do something that resembled some of the more nuanced quests of earlier games. For once -if done exactly right- it wasn't about brute force. The problem of course is that it was so easily fumbled that brute force ended up being the main ingredient. Even in my own run, I didn't even get to do the interesting subterfuge pieces because a strolling guard happened by (or something similar that could have been prevented by some precision coding).

Quote:
You can make anything evil in that game but it's a lot harder to make certain things good.
That I'll buy.

One bad thing is that I didn't realize there are only 15 artifacts in the game, and I had the priest destroy the skull rod that was giving people bad dreams.

*Sighs* I think I'll reset that quest via console commands or cheese the werewolf sidequest so I get both of them.

Also will someone explain why the Skeleton key doesn't count as an artifact. Seriously the thieve's guild sidequest is one of my favorite parts of the game, and that Nocture lady is pretty attractive. I seriously enjoy the Nightingales.

Quote:
That I'll buy.
Paradox games for ya... or well... life really.

@Basil Heh. I actually never got to the point of climbing that mountain in Skyrim. Always got distracted by all sorts of random shit and mods and the main story never really interested me. I played my entire time in Skyrim without any dragon shouts. I only played it for like 13 hours though according to Steam.

I think I just got bored with how dead the world was. Such a great big beautiful open world with of tons of caves and ruins and whatever full of suicidal mindless bandits who exist only to be killed. It's one thing in a game that's all about leveling up and getting better loot, but that's not what Skyrim is about. It's just shinier, stripped down, less interesting version of a game from 2002... from which it and it's immediate predecessor both ripped off their main menu music.