This week in video games... - Page 701 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

Mayhem has a lot less of the room for customization that you saw in earlier Volition/Saints Row games, and while the characters are still over the top and engaging a lot of the activities feel repetitive and simply not as exciting as SR3 or SR4 (thre's certainly nothing to rival the best base assault ever NSFW). If you picked it up on Steam Sale I think you'll get your money worth, but there just isn't as much there as earlier works.

One of the constant refrains I see from reviews and people talking about it is that Agents feels like a really cool concept (G.I. Joe meets Saints Row), but with something around half of the budget Volition actually needed to pull it off. Also, the writing just falls flat on all fronts. "Quantity over quality" is a phrase I've seen quite a bit, to the point of overuse honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeswalker817 View Post
One of the constant refrains I see from reviews and people talking about it is that Agents feels like a really cool concept (G.I. Joe meets Saints Row), but with something around half of the budget Volition actually needed to pull it off. Also, the writing just falls flat on all fronts. "Quantity over quality" is a phrase I've seen quite a bit, to the point of overuse honestly.
The best parts of the game are definitely the agents and their personal missions. Not just to see a different version of Pierce and Johnny Gat, but the new ones, too. My favorite is Daisy, a roller derby gal with a minigun. Her personal missions has her trying to remember the party she went to the previous night, because she hooked up with a lieutenant of the BBEG there. Think the Hangover crossed with The Man Who Knew Too Little and directed by Michael Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveled View Post
Think the Hangover crossed with The Man Who Knew Too Little and directed by Michael Bay.
As someone who only likes one of those three things... =p

But then, that's why I kept bringing up "people who like Saints Row 4". I know I was never the target audience for Agents of Mayhem despite liking the concept in theory - Saturday Morning Cartoons is a nostalgic hit, and Far Cry: Blood Dragon worked for me off the basis of stuff like that - but SR3 and 4 bounced between hit and miss to the point that I never even finished them. But a lot of people DO like them, and even they looked at Agents even more coldly than Gat Outta Hell, which itself was rough and soulless in comparison to what came before.

Edit: Wait no, I misread that. I don't like any of those three. X_x

So far these are my thoughts on Agents.

It's fun.

It's an 80s Saturday Morning cartoon kind of fun. It doesn't make a whole bunch of sense, but it has that overblown idea of spectacle. I've still got a lot of missions and so on to do, contracts, and so on. I'm 15 hours in and I'm pretty sure I've only done like 30% of the game.

I'm almost certain this will be worth the money. Getting a 10? No way, no way in hell. This is not quote unquote "high art", this is the kind of mindless fun you turn your brain off for because you just want to blow stuff up and drive around the beautiful city in a turbo boosted sports car that's also built like a tank.

Pretty much the only thing I don't like about it so far is the lack of planes. I would have really liked some kind of future jet plane.

Hey, if you're having fun, then go nuts. I just already have stuff I find far better for mindless insanity, like Doom 2016 which holy crap guys, $15. Genuinely my favorite game from the past decade not named New Vegas (and the Trails in the Sky games if you count their localization release, since it was so damn long after their Japan release).

You're going to have to be a bit more specific about which game/person you're replying to. O.o

Edit: If you're curious how Doom 2016 compares to old skool Doom, the HVGN does a better job explaining it than I can. Mostly because I never actually played much of original Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1sdAmSq4vs

Well, I for one can barely contain my excitement at the 7th installment.

Though, if that's Heishiro Mitsurugi, he looks WAY too young for someone in his mid-40s.