This week in video games... - Page 719 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

As someone who tried and failed at Witcher 1 and 2, the GameSpot article was enough to get me through the choices you make if not importing, and beyond that the characterization and personality of Geralt and the people he meets was good enough to make it all work. They actually do feel like they've known each other for a while.

Anything I still didn't know was easily answered in the in-game encyclopedia read by Dandelion, which might be my favorite in-game encyclopedia outside of Mass Effect's.

Also it got lost in the new page, but I have a few recommendations a few posts back for the sale.

Super! Hot! Super! Hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckerby View Post
Also it got lost in the new page, but I have a few recommendations a few posts back for the sale.

Super! Hot! Super! Hot!
Superhot is the most innovative shooter I've played in years!

Witcher 3 especially with all the DLC is a must for any RPG fan. Probably the best RPG put out in the last 5 years. Not that there aren't other good games of late. But Witcher 3 raised the bar.

With that said, Witcher 1 and 2 are still worth the play. Thought Witcher 2 is definitely the better of the two story, lore and such wise.

I really can't get past certain things in Witcher 3 but then Breath of the Wild broke most other open world games for me. Every time I try to jump a bush or just walk through it and some invisible wall blocks me for no apparent reason, I get super frustrated. I had to stop playing Nier for that reason and my one stint with Witcher 3 showed me a lot of the same things.

It's a petty nitpick and I admit that outright. I'm sure it's a great game but once I could walk over walls that only came up to my ankles or jump them if they were only knee high... I lost the ability to not do those things in other open world games. I'm also not saying BOTW is a perfect game but it did a few things so well I can't see a world without those things anymore.

I don't really recall being stopped by a bush or a wall tbh in Witcher 3 and I spend most of the time running through the game.

That obviously wasn't a literal example... let me rephrase: "Old open world games are often full of terrain you cannot pass but must venture around even though you should be able to bypass said terrain using the game's mechanics. This includes obstacles you can't jump over despite your character being able to jump high enough, slopes you can't ascend when you should certainly be able to and walls that really shouldn't be able to slow you down."

Obviously not every open world game or asset in those games is such a problem. I also know those are just how the devs to corral you a little since they can't let you have too much freedom less you venture to places that don't exist. I've just played two big games in a row that don't do this and I got spoiled. I even admitted this is me nitpicking and not a slight against the game. I'm sure Witcher 4 will incorporate this higher level of freedom, if it's ever a thing.