Quick questions and answers - Page 448 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

Tome of Battle was in dire need of eratta, but didn't get it. I've always run it as a cost, but it's up to your DM to read it either way.

Just something I'm not too sure on regarding spells with a melee touch attack and quicken spell in D&D 3.5.

A quickened spell becomes a free action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, for the sake of touch attacks, would a touch attack, and a quickened touch attack be able to use the same attack? assuming its possible to cast the quickened spell while using one hand to make the touch attack.

Example; a first level cleric casts inflict light wounds, holds the charge, then uses a touch attack to discharge the spell on an enemy, if he also immediately used divine metamagic to quicken a second inflict light wounds would both spells be able to use that one attack roll assuming it hit?

My feeling is no. More appropriate would be that his hands remained charged and could be used for attacks of opportunity or some such. Even though it is a free action, it is a separate action.

Even though the spell itself is quickened, I don't believe the discharge is. I think your BAB would have to be high enough to attack twice, would it not? So in your instance, with a BAB of +0 through +5, you would cast Inflict Light Wounds, Hold, Move, Discharge, Quicken Cast Inflict Light Wounds, Hold, end of turn.

If you had a BAB of +6/+1 or higher, I believe you could do what you're suggesting. In general Quicken Spell is most beneficial for those few spells that have a cast time longer than one standard action. But theoretically I think you could use this to great effect to double-open-hand-slap someone for touching your fine Pelor women.

Thanks for the answers, I just needed a general idea of what people thought about it.

Which brings me to my solution; spiked gauntlets, 2 melee attacks with spiked gauntlets will deal spiked gauntlet damage and inflict any touch spell held, its a lower chance of hitting but casting and holding inflict light wounds on round 1, moving to melee for round 2 and casting a quickened inflict light wounds during your offhand attack should be a legal use of the spell, if only due to the vague wording and abuse of the free action.

Because if its possible between BaB based attacks there shouldn't be anything stopping it for two weapon attacks.

D&D3.5:

Can you have an undead familiar? Are there any rule differences for them, if you can?

You can make one undead with the Stitched Flesh Familiar feat in Libris Mortis.

You can also get a homunculus from the DMG, IIRC.

No real rules difference I recall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky number 13 View Post
Thanks for the answers, I just needed a general idea of what people thought about it.

Which brings me to my solution; spiked gauntlets, 2 melee attacks with spiked gauntlets will deal spiked gauntlet damage and inflict any touch spell held, its a lower chance of hitting but casting and holding inflict light wounds on round 1, moving to melee for round 2 and casting a quickened inflict light wounds during your offhand attack should be a legal use of the spell, if only due to the vague wording and abuse of the free action.

Because if its possible between BaB based attacks there shouldn't be anything stopping it for two weapon attacks.
Except that dual wielding is a full round action, and you can't take full round actions while casting (unless the spell itself is a full round) or while moving (more than a 5-foot-step). So that plan won't work either.

It also depends on your DM. While merely wearing gauntlets won't cause your spell to discharge, there are some DM's (myself included) who would rule that making an attack (thusly accidentally discharing it) doesn't necessarily discharge the spell onto the target. Instead, your melee attack just makes it fizzle.

Also understand that attacking with a spiked gauntlet is still an unarmed attack. It's just now lethal. So you're provoking an attack of opportunity unless you take a level in Monk, which is a waste.

I recommend you look into that spell...what is it? I think it's Flower Bloom? Or something to do with flowers...it's in the Spell Compendium. It's a Sorcerer/Wizard 1st, plus I think Divine casters can use it. It allows you to hold a touch spell in each limb (that is, arm limb). You can concievably dual wield touch attacks in this way, though you take all the negatives to dual wielding that you normally would. It's either that, or just wait until you have two BAB's.

Edit: There is one way you could get around it. Both spells would need to be quickened to Free actions, then you could conceivably dual wield. But you would need the effects of that Flower Bloom spell on first (it lasts a number of rounds equal to your CL). However, I think you can only use one metamagic feat per round, can't you? Either way, this would be severely taxing on your upper-level spells.