This week in video games... - Page 546 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

I'm just glad to see Nintendo a) try something new with one of their classic franchise, b) pull out something (apparently) quite good, and c) getting recognized for it.

As for DQ7, I played through that during my winter vacation from work. Having never played it before, I really liked it! It feels like Dragon Quest III with plot, and I can understand people's criticisms of IX a lot more after playing it. Are you moving on to VIII after this?

Now I'm legit curious what is so special about Breath of the Wild, that a person who is a regular on a Dungeons and Dragons forum could possibly have any interest in the Zelda franchise.

Why would someone who is a regular on a Dungeons and Dragons forum not have an interest in the Zelda franchise?

Let me copy and paste the rant I just went on on steam.

""Oh hey look, despite there being a huge time line there's never any technological advancement so there will never be a sci-fi zelda or anything"
"Also our plot just justifed using the same villain over and over to the point where it named a trope about using the same villain over and over"
"link is cursed to fight ganon forever to defend zelda, the plot will never change! We've literally justifed being cliche in the plot!"
and it's not like legend of zelda has the amazing writing of something like paper mario the thousand year door to justify it
with the possible exception of Majora's mask.

If you've ever played a D&D module in your life, you've probably experienced a better and higher quality story.

Before getting into the specifics of the rant itself, what has any of that to do with being a regular in a Dungeons and Dragons forum?

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber_Goddess View Post
If you've ever played a D&D module in your life, you've probably experienced a better and higher quality story.
That's... debatable, to say the least.

Apparently my friend explained that Breath of the Wild is the old fashion Zelda where they give you a sword and throw you into the world. With few instructions.

Okay, so basically it's a Nintendo Wide Open Sandbox Game? It's "Skyrim" for kids. (As in it's not an M-rated game in terms of being for kids, not that it's easy).

That is original, that is something I can get behind. It's certainly something they've never done.

At least in a Wide Open Sandbox game where the focus is on exploration and sidequests, the cliche villain probably won't be that big of issue.

I think we're all ignoring the part where the gameplay and world design (locations, dungeons, puzzles etc) are both apparently excellent, and the atmosphere of the world looks to be quite good too from what I've seen. Of course, having never played a Zelda game in my life I have a hard time making any sort of more informed comment there.

Comparing all of those to Skyrim is... A bit laughable, to be honest. I mean, how many different puzzles did Skyrim have? Two? Perhaps three?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actana View Post
I think we're all ignoring the part where the gameplay and world design (locations, dungeons, puzzles etc) are both apparently excellent, and the atmosphere of the world looks to be quite good too from what I've seen. Of course, having never played a Zelda game in my life I have a hard time making any sort of more informed comment there.

Comparing all of those to Skyrim is... A bit laughable, to be honest. I mean, how many different puzzles did Skyrim have? Two? Perhaps three?
I've watched a few streams - none for longer than an hour in, but yeah, this is it. It's not the type of game, it's the quality of the game. Don't get me wrong, I do love Bethesda, but their games are an extremely buggy mess that more or less rely on mods to fix the bulk of issues, whereas Nintendo is pretty much the opposite, releasing games delayed but with lots of polish. (I can't say the same for the Switch's UI, but seriously, it's a UI.) And while there's a small number of traditional dungeons, there's over 100 shrines, which are essentially 5 to 15 minute dungeons focusing hard on a particular mechanic. The world is larger than Skyrim and, from what I've seen, very dense, with a lot happening. (Though again, only one hour, it may taper off later.) And it does take "open world" to a bit of a further level than the likes of Skyrim - you can literally go from the cave you start in and immediately run right to the final boss. It's not likely to go well at all, but you can. I'm excited to see how the speed-running community reacts to this.

I'm honestly feeling really cynical about open worlds these days. Seems every game wants to go open world, regardless of whether or not it's a good idea. And eventually the world built, while large and so forth, never seem to be filled with anything interesting. Skyrim, Dragon Age, every Ubisoft game ever, they're all just very wide worlds with very little depth. And because sequels always need to one-up the previous games, we are forced into a cycle of neverending world expansion at the cost of density. What good is a world that doesn't have anything interesting in it? As much as it is a cliche by now, but Morrowind's world felt far larger and more expansive but was, in fact, much smaller than the later Elder Scrolls games (thanks to in big part due to the lack of ubiquitous fast travel).

Perhaps the only exception I've played seems to be Witcher 3, but even in that the core of the open world wasn't the world itself, but the sidequests in it which were all high quality. The world itself was still filled with a lot of busywork.

Honestly, dude, I'm the exact same way. I'm a very game-y kind of gamer, I care less about plot and more about stuff, and my fear is that lots of open-world games are very wide but very shallow. But between reviews and what I've seen, it seems like BotW presents an open world that is both wide and dense; there's at least enough evidence that I'm chomping at the bit to give it a shot. (I checked the local department store, but they're sold out of the Wii U version. Sigh.)