The World of Meslana - Forum
Warrior,Rogue & Mage
Ad Closes: Jan 26 '11
Estimated Members Requested: 3

Two Birds
and a Stone

A story in the age of kings

[Introduction]
Hello. This game was originally developed by insomniawalking and I, but was abandoned after IW fell into some computer troubles. Thanks to Mordae's GM Rescue Society, the game is going to be starting back up. During the lull, we lost a few players. So, now we're seeking to replenish our numbers.

[Game Information]
Welcome to the nation of Baristos, a land located on the continent of Meranos in the world of Meslana. This story starts the way so many fantasy stories do, for you are summoned to the table of your lord. Why you have been called is a mystery and only one of many you may be called upon to solve.

Within this fantasy setting inspired by George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, we are using a free system called Warrior, Rogue & Mage . We will be using the "Scholar" variation for a low magic setting. Normal character creation rules apply; the characters are as-yet unadvanced.

We will be choosing three applicants to fill out the rest of group of characters. Expect a large amount of role playing and possibly quite a bit a character conflict, some politics and problem solving, and a bit of combat. Character creation is simple and a sample of a character can be viewed here.

[Current Characters]
Heinz Grabenbour, armorer
Marek Garin, bastard son of Lord Garin
Joryen Redbone the Younger, priest in the service of Lord Garin's household
Trilian Garin the Grim, brother to Lord Garin (formerly ShadowStalker's PC, now an NPC)

[Inactive/Available Characters]
Alysanna Merison, cousin to Lord Garin
Roderick Gauffry Castor, sell-sword in the service of Lord Garin
Brea Quinn, sell-sword in the service of Lord Garin

[Application Fields]
Name, Gender, Age,
Ex: Knight, Sellsword, Noble, Cobbler, Castle Guard, Stable-boy, etc.
Occupation, Appearance, Personality, and Brief History. There is some information about the world within the forum (open to the public). If you have any other questions, feel free to ask in this thread.

Note: You may be from different Houses, but you must be in service to House Garin. The reason is up to you, though it must first be approved by either Mordae or myself.

[Ground Rules]
  • Please post all initial applications in this thread. Once chosen, we will have you make a character thread where we can help you tailor the character to the world that insomniawalking, Mordae, and I have created, and assist in any of the WR&M mechanics.
  • Please note that we do not require a certain amount a posts per day; about 1/day would be nice, but both of the GMs are busy people and will be understanding of brief absences so long as the players will tolerate them from us as well. If you know you'll be gone for more than a few days, an OOC post or signature explaining it would be appreciated. Coming into this game and contributing to the stories with that understanding will make it that much more enjoyable for everyone involved.

All stories have a beginning and an end. There are people that never live to see the beginning of some stories, while others are killed before the end of their own. This tale, wherever it begins or ends, is your story.

Game Description:

The Age of Kings in the land of Baristos has begun, the family of the Wolverine sits on the throne and the land is at peace. The noble houses engage in their tournaments and their intrigues, all under the watchful eye of the king. Although bandits roam the roads, wild men and nomads populate the Karnokian Wastes, the King’s Men make the roads safe. You are the men and women of Baristos, the people that can change the course of its history or thrive in obscurity. You may be knights or men-at-arms, cobblers, bandits, or one day control your own House.

This is a story in the spring of its life.

~*~*~*~

The game will be utilizing Warrior, Rogue & Mage a free source book. We will be using a variation in the book called Warrior, Rogue, & Scholar.

Last edited by Mordae; Jan 12 '11 at 5:27am..
I have a few questions. Can we be from one of the major/minor houses? How much lee-way do we have, in terms of fleshing out the world/working on the world with you? If seems like you want us to be directly under someone, but just based off of this I'm not sure who. Is there a bit of more information in the game forum? Or would you rather applicants not dig around?

Also, what does the current roster look like? Don't want to step on anyones toes.

The first question is a good question. You can be from another House, minor or prime, BUT you have to be in service to House Garin for whatever reason. Some of the other players have worked their backgrounds around this.

You have plenty of lee-way to help in world building. insomniawalking encouraged everyone to help out, I will do the same. The existing Houses would need to stay generally the same, but we left the world somewhat vague so the PCs could help world-building.

Well, could I work it in so that my character is a noble "hostage" at house Garin? I don't know the setting very well, but in the recent past have their been any conflicts between houses? Could we reasonably create one such scenario, so I could play such an arch type?

I have updated the advertisement to include the roster information. There are a few characters that could be recycled if desired.

Yes, presumably you could be a hostage from a lesser lord. None of the Minor Houses have been thought out yet.

So, feel free to use House Amsel as your House. Lord Borin Amsel is the liege-lord of House Amsel and has often had disputes with House Garin. The details of said disputes are unknown to your character, even though you were given to House Garin as a hostage in token of peace. Any other information is up to you.

EDIT: Thank-you, Mordae. And yes, these are completed characters that can begin play with very little tweaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowStalker View Post
Yes, presumably you could be a hostage from a lesser lord. None of the Minor Houses have been thought out yet.

So, feel free to use House Amsel as your House. Lord Borin Amsel is the liege-lord of House Amsel and has often had disputes with House Garin. The details of said disputes are unknown to your character, even though you were given to House Garin as a hostage in token of peace. Any other information is up to you.
Alright, so you are going to determine the reasoning for the needing of a hostage. Would this be recent then? And how much of the Amsel line is decided? I put some thought into it, and sort of came up with a bare bones outline/definition of what I want to play. But it is quasi hingent upon a few key events.

All that can be a joint process. How old do you want your character to be? House Garin is a large and old House with many allies and many enemies. The disputes of Amsel can fit somewhere between there. At the moment, the reasoning of needing a hostage is not so important. At this point, you just are because of a dispute between the Houses which was resolved by the victory of House Garin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowStalker View Post
All that can be a joint process. How old do you want your character to be? House Garin is a large and old House with many allies and many enemies. The disputes of Amsel can fit somewhere between there. At the moment, the reasoning of needing a hostage is not so important. At this point, you just are because of a dispute between the Houses which was resolved by the victory of House Garin.
I'd like to be in the 17-21 range, having been given over as a hostage when he was much younger (10-12 range), and having grown up there.

If there isn't a current roster of family members for Amsel, I could easily craft it. I'd wanted there to be at least two other siblings, to work it into the background that I had in mind.

Nope. No lineage has been created. Feel free.

Though, I should say: any information created would probably become property of the game. If you're OK with that, then go for it. If not, let me know and I can come up with something for you.